• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editor merged clips, hadn't exported to AAF before, now I don't know how to fix for export.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope everyones staying safe and healthy,

I am a college student who has taken over a project for class from a classmate who dropped. The footage has been graded in Resolve and my classmates and I are ready to export to protools but we can't, the previous editor merged all the clips which, I have now learned, cannont be exported to AAF. I need to figure out what are the appropriate steps to restore the audio for export to aaf even if that means starting from scratch. Is there a how to or can someone help me navigate the best workflow for this?

J.D.

TOPICS
Audio , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Solved this same problem today, you can send your sequence to Adobe Audition which will create new audio files with handles based on your edit, then export an OMF out of Audition. It's not quite as good as an AAF but will still work for your sound mixer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you asking how to deal with this in resolve or in premiere?  Are you just dealing with the audio in premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, we are trying to export the audio from premiere to AAF, but can’t because of the merged clip error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling there's a better way, but if you select the audio clip in the timeline that's part of the merged clip and control click and choose reveal in finder, it should point to the original file and you should be able to manually replace the merged audio with the original audio using the timecode displayed for that track in the program monitor.  Make sense?  Let me play around with this and see if I can come up with something better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try exporting an omf with embedded audio which should import into protools.  If your film is short enough you may be able to embed the audio (as there's a file size limitation for omf files but if not, you can link to external audio.  No promises but worth a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this but I got the 2 GB file limit size issue. So it doesn’t look like it’s going to work for me unless I separate the audio, and I have been specifically told the audio must be embedded. Here’s what I wound up doing, we exported and XML of the sequence to a folder. The sequence had merged clips in it. Imported the sequence into DaVinci resolve, which give me a clean version without merged clips. Then exported the AAF from Resolve. This seems to be the shortest and quickest workaround until adobe fixes its issue with being able to unmerge clips. I appreciate the help, we tried a bunch of things but it seems like this is the quickest and simplest fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and please let us know if this worked.  My ego can always use the stroke and you might help others with the same issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well I'd look askance at your audio guy.  shouldn't be a problem not having the audio embedded.   However, back in the day, you'd just divide your edit in to "reels" which would allow you keep within the file size limit for each reel.   But glad you sorted it out.  Resolve is a useful way station for many things.  I had a client who'd started editing in fcpX.  she was able to export an xml which would not import to premiere but would import to resolve where we were able to export an xml that would open in premiere.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved this same problem today, you can send your sequence to Adobe Audition which will create new audio files with handles based on your edit, then export an OMF out of Audition. It's not quite as good as an AAF but will still work for your sound mixer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to know that worked as a workaround. Thanks for posting the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this applies to your particular scenario, but I had a similar problem.

If you unlink all of the audio from the video, and then put the audio into a seperate sequence without the video. You should have no problem exporting.

It worked for me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally worked for me - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is insanly helpfull! - Coming from a sound designer 

Had so many problems from editors over the years, but this seems to work every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines