• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encoder has crazy long times and large files

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a .mp4 video that is 542.8 MB. I added the video to Premiere Pro version 14.0. The image size is 3840x2060, audio 32000 Hz, frame rate 25.00. I trimmed a little of the video at the beginning and end and added a image at the beginning of the video. The image is a .png that is 39.69 KB, 1920x1080. My sequence settings are 640x360, 25.00 fps, 32000 Hz.

I want to create an .mp4 video using h.264. If I select "match source - high bitrate" the estimated file size is 3148 MB. That's a huge file. If I select "match source - adaptive high bitrate" the file size drops to 646 MB, but the export time is >30 minutes and it makes my computer essentially unusable because it uses up all recources.  Most of the other presets produce a file size even greater than my first selection. 

The output has to be an .mp4 using h.264. What am I missing? I dropped the size down to 640x360 in the first place because anything above that was an even bigger file size. I don't understand how this video, which started at 542.8 MB can grow so huge while at the same time dropping in quality.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original file was created using a very high compression H.264 or "long-GOP" process. Compressing back to that extent can be problematic for losing more data, and as Premiere was more designed for broadcast, file-size wasn't a huge issue ... quality of file was.

There are some H.264 encoding apps out there that can take the file and run a much higher compression with mostly acceptable results (as long as you don't expect to ever work that file again). And there are a couple plugins for H.264 encoding for Premiere that are also capable of higher compression without too notable file degradation.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. What plugins for h.264 encoding exist and where would I find them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filesize = duration x bitrate.

So there is no point in lowering the resolution. It wont cut down on the filesize just the image qualitiy.

So lower the bitrate. Post screenshot export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't post a screen shot of the export because I've already done it. (Although I could probably recreate it if you think it would be worth looking at). I just used the adaptive setting because it produced the smallest file size. Thanks for the explanation regarding how the file size is determined! I incorrectly assumed that lowering the resolution would help with file size. I won't do that the next time. Every time I think I've bypassed the beginner level, reality sets back in and I realize there is much I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can search for "H.264 plugins for Premiere Pro" easily enough. I have AfterCodecs from Autokroma as I already had their BRAW plugins in use. But there are also TurboCut and Voukoder and some others I think as well.

As Ann notes, the main determinant of output is bitrate x duration. There are some options in 'quality' settings that can assist, and some of the plugins manage that part a little better for visual results in the export.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines