Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encore 5.1 crashing after upgrade to Mavericks

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Like many Mac users, I recently upgraded to the Mavericks OS. Since then, I've had issues with Encore freezing up whenever I try importing anything into it. I get the endlessly spinning wheel and ultimately have to force quit, shut down, and restart. I am currentlyrunning Creative Suite 5.5. I've looked at upgrading to 6, but I really dislike the notion of a forever-monthly fee, and it looks like there is no guarantee that this step would fix my issues. I'm not even 100% certain that Mavericks is the cause, but it's the only thing that has changed that I can think of. Anyone have any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

This is all too common.

I have honestly lost count of the times I have heard stories of changing from one OS to another one (it might still be called OS-X but in reality each revision is a different OS using the same name to maintain the myth of "Apple superiority"). So many people I know who run Logic Audio & PT on the same system get this problem. They change the OS and then half their software simply will not run any more, plugins fail or else load in one app but not the other, causing vast am

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/encore and, in the area just under Ask a Question, type in

mavericks

You may now read all the previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

I am Windows so did not bookmark the message, but at least one message thread has a possible solution for SOME mavericks problems - NOTE

But, do be aware that a note in http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/faq.html states that Adobe will NOT provide Encore updates for newer operating systems

NOTE... you may need to go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere and repeat the mavericks search to find help... there have been a LOT of discussions there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, we have already searched these forums, and the problem is, most of the issues people are reporting have nothing to do with Encore (instead being focused on Premiere, for example). We have tried some of the solutions proposed anyway, and they have so far not worked. My hope was that by posting specifically in the Encore section, someone might have some more relevant insights.

Yes, I am also aware that Adobe won't be supporting Encore in the future. Awesome. It would be really great if they offered another way to do blu ray video that worked for me, since they are no longer supporting the program that has in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do NOT use these, so have NO idea if they will do what you need, or if they are only for Windows

Encore alternative http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio -or http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all too common.

I have honestly lost count of the times I have heard stories of changing from one OS to another one (it might still be called OS-X but in reality each revision is a different OS using the same name to maintain the myth of "Apple superiority"). So many people I know who run Logic Audio & PT on the same system get this problem. They change the OS and then half their software simply will not run any more, plugins fail or else load in one app but not the other, causing vast amounts of time either online to support or on the phone to support trying to get things working again yet they usually blame everyone but Apple & themselves.

An OS change is a major thing, and a very big deal indeed - before doing such a drastic thing it is a really good idea to make saure everything is properly compatible as well as making sure all various drivers are also compatible too (sound cards, graphics cards etc)

Encore will never be supported on Mavericks simply because it is End Of Life - Sonic Solutions (who licensed the Encore AuthorCore to Adobe) were swallowed up by Rovi (whose business model is based on streaming on demand) who killed off Sonic Solutions at the end of 2012, finally withdrawing all support from December 31 2013. This affecvted Scenarist SD, Scenarist BD 4 & BD5, Total Code, CineVision, all of it - gone. The argument was that "optical media is dead" but my cynical mind tells me they saw an opportunity to take their main competitor out of the game & went for it. Companies who had spent tens of thousands of pounds on seriously expensive high end authoring & encoding tools suddenly found themselves on their own with no support. Nice move, Rovi.

Another victim here was Adobe, who found themselves with no way to relicense the authorcore so bye-bye Encore. Adobe did *not* stop supporting Encore - the people who bought Sonic Solutions killed it off, and I do not see Adobe starting from scratch & building their own tool to do this as the development costs would be enormous.

Alternatives?

On a Mac, very few - if any. Off the top of my head I can think of Sony Creative Software for PC (Vegas Pro 12 will do written discs but not replicable ones) and DVD-Logic (Not too sure what OS are supported - definitely PC, but not at all sure about Mac). If you need to get replicated discs then AACS is a must and you have options of DoStudio or else Blu-Print (Rivergate software created an add-on for Encore to allow proper BDCMF formatting but this also will most likely not run on latest Mac OS).

In short, Sony are now the only player still actively in the game and they do not run on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>lost count of the times I have heard stories of changing from one OS to another one

Similar over in Windows land... not video editing, but my wife uses a 3D modeling program for house design... which was written for Win7 and "mostly" works on her Win8.0 computer... but to get the latest fixes/improvements of Win8.1 I am having to buy a new graphics adapter (nVidia GTX 650 to replace an ATI card that would NOT work with her program under Win8.1) and also upgrade her program from the Win7 2012 version to a Win8 2014 version

Some pain in the budget... but at least I had options, unlike people who have software that has no upgrade path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

Some pain in the budget... but at least I had options, unlike people who have software that has no upgrade path

Such as Scenarist SD, sad to say. No upgrade path from SD to BD (version 4 was the 2D and version 5 was the 3D, and again no upgrade between the 2).

Sony's DVD Architect is probably the best low budget BD/DVD package right now if not the only one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried DVD Architect and DVD Architect Pro : very nice but I did not found if it is possible to have animated buttons like with EZncore.

I tried also another software : Cyberlink PowerDirector. less expansive than DVD Architect Pro. This soft is easy to use and produce same menus as Encore. But I am not very confident inCyberlinkPowerDirector

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil Wilkes - thanks for that information. It makes it very clear what the real issues are, and the unfortunate unliklihood that Encore will ever return.

I realize this is a bit old. My solution ended up being completely reformatting my HD back to Mountain Lion, which has worked great until now..when I'm looking at possibly getting a new iMac, which will of course come with the newest OS. The ONLY thing I need Encore for is the actual building of the BDMV file. I build my menus in After Effects, and I use Toast to burn it. Encore is just the bridge in between, so that's all I need the replacement software to do. Jacout13 - are you on a Mac? Would DVD Architect Pro or Cyberlink PowerDirector work for what I need? you state the latter is easy to use, but then add that you have no confidence in it…meaning the software, or the company behind it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been using Cyberlinks PowerDirector for quite some time, I started out the Powerdirector 7 and now have PowerDirector 12 Ultimate.  I found having the authoring software as part of the video editing software was the main reason I purchased and have maintained upgrading PowerDirector.  But I thought to myself, since I am paying a creative cloud subscription to give Premeire Pro and look at, and found that there are some differences between PowerDirector and Premiere Pro, Premiere Pro has  more complex processes to video editing where Powerdirector is more drag and drop video clips on the timeline and edit the clips there instead of creating sequences, timelines etc. But I did get frustrated because as I found creating custom menus was difficult, not like in Encore CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clear explanation, thanks Neil. It all makes great sense now. I do not understand why Adobe just didn't tell us that in the first place, it would have avoided a grand majority of useless discussion of begging Adobe to make an Encore CC version. Big corporations like Adobe aren't always very good at communicating... that's too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tento wrote:

Very clear explanation, thanks Neil. It all makes great sense now. I do not understand why Adobe just didn't tell us that in the first place, it would have avoided a grand majority of useless discussion of begging Adobe to make an Encore CC version. Big corporations like Adobe aren't always very good at communicating... that's too bad.

You're welcome.

Don't be too hard on Adobe though - I suspect the suudden demise of Sonic Solutions came as much of a surprise to them as it did to the rest of us.

They probably had battallions of people trying tio work out where Encore stood as a result, and I suspect that will be down to who held onto the rights of their authoring software.

My money is on Rovi buying to shut down one major player in the game and try to give credence to the "optical media is dead" cry that seems all over the place right now (their business is of course streaming on demand) but then I am an old cynic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still buy a perpetual license for CS6. I have no confidence it will work any better for you on Mavericks. It is true that encore went to 64 bits with CS6, so it could be very different.

We have only heard of problems here in the forum. But some users are able to open projects (CS6 I believe; do not know about CS5 or CS5.1).

Are any Mavericks users having success with Encore? Please report.

For those of you who would answer "no," only because of the inability to work with menus (only? ouch!) are you otherwise able to get it to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems that mavericks and encore 5.5 are not compatible, at least for me. has anyone tried encore cs6 paired with mavericks and had success?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used CS5 the past 4 years to author end of year dvds of my kid's high school activities - band, dance, music, etc.  Without checking compatibility, I upgraded to Maverick.  I was able to import my m2v and wav files but got the photoshop file -1 error any time I tried to alter an Encore motion menu.  By right clicking and editing in photoshop, I eventually got it the way I wanted after several crashes.  When I tried to build, I got the same error and a pop up that said there was a problem with the motion menu.  I decided to make my own menus in Photoshop (no motion involved) and was able to make changes and link the buttons without any crashes.  I did not have any trouble during the build/burn process.  Not a great option for professionals, but it worked for my purpose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still buy a perpetual license for CS6. I have no confidence it will work any better for you on Mavericks.

Since I said that in November...

It appears that CS6 will run on Mavericks. Can someone report if this solution works for Encore CS5.1?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6109315#6109315

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me using 5.5 . Just updated to Mavericks without doing any research and Encore crashes as soon as I try to do anything with it. As a wedding videographer its a massive problem. Thankfully weddings have finished for the year so I have a bit more time to try and resolve things. The way I see it at the moment, I could update to cs6 to see if that works, or buy Mountain lion from App store and go to that and hope for the best. In the meantime I have just burned a blu-ray in Toast Titanium as a trial. It works but took a long time and the menu options are pretty poor.

Would love to hear if anyone is running cs6 encore with Mavericks with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines