• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Encore CS6 [Mac] - Dual Layer Blu Ray Authoring

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any special tasks to do when putting together a Dual Layer Blu Ray on Encore?  DVD Studio Pro requires the setting of a "Breakpoint," I am curious if Encore has anything similar or another requirement.  Thanks.

Kenneth Davis, Director of Post Production
Pro Cuts Editing Services
(301) 464-5067 / (443) 274-6115 (Office)
(443) 274-6060 / (877) 827-6402 (FAX)
kgd@procutsediting.com / kgd_procuts@yahoo.com
www.procutsediting.com
2138 Priest Bridge Court, Suite 1
Crofton, MD 21114 USA
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/procutsediting
TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click the program icon and select Run as Administrator, which is NOT the same thing as running the computer with a Windows Administrator account, and which fixes several "odd" problems... To create a two layer DVD or a BluRay, you MUST have Encore set to use the Run as Administrator option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John.  How would I set Encore to Run as Administrator as I am on a Mac.

www.procutsediting.com
Crofton, MD 21114 USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that is with System Preferences.  I was not sure if there was anything special within Encore to set.

www.procutsediting.com
Crofton, MD 21114 USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Encore also requires a break point - any dual layer disk does for any authoring program.

Encore does not set the break point well. And old threads about this were not ported over when the forum system changed.

These are my notes form one of those threads:

Be sure you "run as administrator" for dual layer projects.

Encore may set the layer break correctly if it finds a good place, but there are numerous complaints about it being unreliable.

Build to a folder (no layer break is set), then use ImgBurn to build and ask to be prompted for layer break. ImgBurn is also unreliable under some circumstances.

The most frequent problems appear to be when there is no good location for a break.

I don't have notes on what those problems are, but one is where there is a single long timeline.

This imgburn forum post is still on their forum:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/1777-how-to-create-a-double-layer-dvd-video-image-file-usi...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, how would I manually set a break point?  I am on a Mac also, is Roxio Toast a good subsitute for ImgBurn?  Is there a specific White Printable BD-R that you would recommend?

www.procutsediting.com
Crofton, MD 21114 USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least one user said Toast would do it. But I have no more info.

I sent a "heads up" call to Neil Wilkes to drop by this thread....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff, is Burn similar to Roxio Toast?

www.procutsediting.com
Crofton, MD 21114 USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Burn as the ImgBurn substitute on Mac.

Export your BD project from Encore as a disk image (.iso, .cdr) and then let Burn put it to disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never made a dual layer Bluray but I have made dozens of dual layer dvds. On thing I found is that even if you make a folder Encore still seem to put a 'marker' down where the layer break would have been, this can cause the playback to stutter at that point even though it is not changing layers. This can be fixed for dvds using PgcEdit. The best way I have found to make the dl discs is to set the disc size  to 8.54gb but set to single layer and export to a folder, ImgBurn will the let you chose the break point and burn the disc. This avoids Encore making the layer change marker. You may have to do a similar thing with Bluray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone

Apologies for missing the thread, but I got Stan's email.

With Blu-ray there should be no need to manually set the Layer Break as the program should do it automatically. Please do, however, note the italicized "should"! Even in Scenarist BD if it is possible to set a legal break point, the software will do this for you - if you need to set a manual layer break in Blu-ray then it is time to cry because this will almost certainly mean there is nowhere it can actually go.

With BD, the players will buffer a lot more efficiently than with DVD so you will not get glitches, even if the break point is a PTS one (what in DVD terms would be on a chapter marker, in the middle of the playlist) the players will handle the transition between layers smoothly so I would definitely suggest that you just go for it & see what happens. The odds are absolutely in your favour, and if the main footage is larger than 23Gb in size then it will need to have chapter marks so the system can find a spot - this is the only thing you need to watch out for though.

With DVD things are quite different, and a layer break must always be set manually - even though Encore has an automatic option it often does not work because the break point can only be set after the project is compiled, plus you also have the whole DVD-R DL versus DVD+R DL situation to deal with - DVD-R DL will only ever split the data in roughly equal chunks, and you cannot set a manual break point when burning DVD-R DL discs. For DVD+R DL on PC systems you have a much better option for disc creation - IMGBurn. This piece of freeware will offer you a set of possible layer break locations and you can select where you want too place it as well as preview the locations - I cannot overstate how helpful this is. If you are sending DDP images to replication though, you will need to set this before creating the DDP set and that is a whole new kettle of ball games, and PGCEdit will soon become your new BFF as this will allow a break point to be set in a playlist much, much more easily than in Encore - plus once you then open up the Video_TS in Encore to create the DDP set it should honour the break point set by PGCEdit. Again, an emphasis on 'should' must be noted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil. Great information as always!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome Stan - as always, of course 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, great help!

www.procutsediting.com
Crofton, MD 21114 USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How would I set Encore to Run as Administrator as I am on a Mac

I have ZERO Mac information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the effort though, John.

www.procutsediting.com
Crofton, MD 21114 USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines