Error compiling movie, I feel like I've tried everything

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I've been having a weird issue that last couple weeks that I just can't solve, so I was hoping someone here has some additional suggestions.

It's a reoccuring issue that happens when exporting: I get an "error compiling movie pop-up" (Error code: -1609629695), typically around a timecode where a clip on track 2 overlaps with track one. After reading some support posts on here I thought it might be caused by transforming clips, but after some trial and error today that doesn't appear to be the case. (I should mention that I've been editing with the settings I've had now for months without issue until now, so hardware limitations doesn't make sense.)

With one specific case today, rendering stopped around the time where a text layer overlayed a video beneith it. I ended up making the text layer an AE dynamic link comp and rendering and replacing it, and that fixed it.

Here's the log file for the latest example of the issue (the selector and error code is always the same):

Export Error
Error compiling movie.

Accelerated Renderer Error

Unable to produce frame.

Writing with exporter: HEVC (H.265)
Writing to file: \\?\E:\Videos\Stick bugs\13.mp4
Writing file type: HEVC
Around timecode: 00:01:53:02 - 00:01:53:04
Rendering at offset: 56.533 seconds
Component: HEVC (H.265) of type Exporter
Selector: 9
Error code: -1609629695

Here's the stuff I've tried so far that had no effect:

• Turn off CUDA and OpenGL hardware acceloration in Media Encoder
  • Cleared cache of Premiere and After Effects
  • Changed cache location
  • Duplicated the project file
  • Changed bit-depth in AE
  • Reset layer's transform properties
  • Uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers
  • Reinstalled Premiere and After Effects 2019
  • Uninstalled and installed Premiere and After Effects 2020
  • Rebooted
  • Exported as H.264, Quicktime, and JPEG sequence

Something else I'm experiencing is that Premiere crashes when I hit the export button, but I was able to stop that by turning off hardware acceloration in the premiere prefrences.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated, I'm really dying over here.

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try "smart rendering."  in your sequence settings, change your preview format to an all i-frame format like quicktime:  prores 422.  And then render your entire timeline.  If it stops at a certain point, you've probably have an indication of where the problem is.  If it completes and you play the timeline and are happy with the render, export with "use previews" checked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is what I'm going to do for now, it's a million times better than "rendering and replacing" every clip, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes it's not any longer than just exporting and particularly on a long sequence or one with heavy effects, it gives you a chance to fix any mistakes before you've exported and saves you the time  to re-export the whole sucker.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great workflow @mgrendadier and also very useful to isolate issues on your  timeline.  They could add that to a FAQ in the troubleshooting guide for premier and probably bring down the number of calls to support.  Plus the added benefit of optimizing ones time for the workflow.  ProRes is such a versatile codec.

As a side note, I think I just figured out how the spell checker works on this forum 🙂  What a strange way they have implemented it on this forum.  It doesn't seem to check as I type, like every other forum I use.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to give credit where credit is due, Kevin Monahan was the one who detailed this workflow in a post here quite a while ago.   His contributions here are enormous.  a FAQ on it is a great idea (maybe it already exists)... I'd be happy to just post the link and save a few keystrokes.

Michael

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does! FAQ: What is Smart Rendering?

Thanks,
KEvin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks KEvin... going on my bookmarks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you pointed me in the direction of smart rendering, it must be such a life saver when you notice a small mistake in a final render!

In my last project, prerendering a clip was the only was I was to finish my final render, but weirdly enough, it's not working this time around. Now when I set my proxies to Cineform I get the same error I get when rendering normally. It's pretty bizarre.

Right now I'm rendering as an image sequence, and I'm trying to deal with the errors as they come up. It's a real pain but it's the only work around I can think of for now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a few thoughts,  first one is I have read from another post someone seemed to have success by disabling the intel graphics card (Id liek to credit the post but cant find it right now).  Can you (or have you tried to disable the intel video card, I belive thats a BIOS level disable required.

Second, have you "restarted" the windows machine at any point since the issues started?  As silly as it sounds, I really mean "use the restart from the power down menu" - Shut down actualy doesnt clear windows settings etc, only restart resets a bunch of internal windows things that can cause issues.  This was done so windows power on is faster, but can have side effects, so a true restart from the power down menu clears those up.

Can I ask you what CPU and Mother board your running and what Video Card (most interested if a new RTX3000 series PCI4.0 card)?  I was having a simular export error, but it was random, and not every time.  I upgraded the Bios on my X299 Board, and the issue went away.  It started when I added in the RTX 3090 card.  I know you have implied that you have had a stable enviroment (I take that to mean no windows updates, no Video driver updates etc), but as a hail mary would a Bios upgrade be feasible?  I never got the bottom of my issue, as it went away with the Bios Updates.  I will admit this is a long shot investigative path, however the bios upgrade path is pretty fast and very low risk.

There is also one other setting you can try related to video performance buried in windows 10 thats a new thing.  Windows at some point last fall, added Hardware GPU Schedule in the Settings for Graphics cards (Display Settings, then graphics settings).  The screen shot is below for the menu.  This by default is OFF.  But try turnign it on (on a very small set of apps will run slow with it on, youtube has some benchmarks if you want to know more on this).  One pro tip here, is the note that says you have to restart windows really means restart windows, it doesnt work with a power off then on as it keeps the setting until a true restart is issued. Use the restart in the shut down window.  Let me know your thoughts, I hope there is something new here that can assist you.  Sorry about your troubles, they are very strange.

FlyingFourFun_0-1611120104569.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you mentioned the GPU scheduling, I really thought that might be it-- I remembered I had to enable it because of some other software somewhat recently, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

I've done a number of restarts, both by clicking restart and by physically turning the machine off. That fixes stuff so often I really had my fingers crossed!

I tried disabling integrated graphics and I didn't get any results, I may try the same thing with the nvidia GPU and see if that changes anything.

Hardware wise I'm on a laptop, with a GTX 1050ti and an i7-7700. I'll try updating the BIOS, I wonder if something got automatically updated recently and messed everything up... I may try reinstalling windows as a last resort, just to see if that does anything. I really appreciate your input!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback.  Dont forget to try to disable the intergrated Intel Video card card also (in Bios).  If your using the Nvdidia card, I dont think there is any real benifit to have both enabled (Some people like to set intel to decode, and nvidia to encode as its a little faster for some, not sure its wirth the trouble).

I hope that Bios update works for you to resolve, but as a last resort a windows install should work assuming there is not a true hardware defect (which is not likly).   Your issues root cause and solution I think is important as it has traces of simualar issues posted by others.  There was one guy who had a simualr issue where he downloaded videos from the internet and had those on the time line, the downloaded vidoes turned out to be the source of why he could not export, I suspected they had some sort of DRM or curruption on those files.  It doesnt sound like that applies to your case.

If you project is a managable size with media assests or you can isolate a small project that always fails on you,  I would be willing to download and try exporting to see what happens if you find that step of any help to you.  I've got some free time (Aka waiting on a 30TB raid array to rebuild a failed drive before I start tempting it with more work) I'm using for personal projects right now so the distraction would be welcome.

I'm sure your issue can be resolved, just not a clear path to that solution in your case.  I start over windows install might help.   But before you do that,  and because you issue seems to be forcused on a task your video card shoudl perform - try this:

The video game guys really like to do this video card driver uninstall when they run into issues, so take a look at the link, and see if you want to try it also.  I woudl however hardware disable that intel card you said you updated drivers for first, do your bios updates if there is any.  and if those dont improve it, consider this step, which is also very low risk (bit you know, make sure your work is backed up etc....)

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.5 (guru3d.com)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, a 30TB array?! Geez good luck with that, that sounds very stressful.

That's super kind of you, but unforently the project has to be over 20 GB at this point, not very portable 🙂 I do have access to some other machines, I should check and make sure it's not a problem with my source files before I go and wipe my computer.

Something that really has me puzzled is that the error is an "Accelerated Renderer Error" even when I have hardware acceleration turned off. Do you think my GPU drivers could still be interfeiring?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that certain effects require hardware rendering so if you'd applied an effect when you had it turned on and you now have it turned off, it might give you that error.  I know on my underpowered 2012 macbookpro, if I try and apply one of those effects, it tells me it can't apply it...    I may be wrong (it has happened before).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AveryMiller yeah, the process is not going well...  I have a 95% complet replica copy I beam over to a second site using a microwave disk 25KM aways, so just trying to sync the last bit of data before I make the decision to delete the array, and built a new logical array, and then replicate the copy back to my work site (the microwave is WAY to slow for working off).  The replication will take about 2.5 weeks is the issue, the rebuild was to take 80 hours...  but now the raid card vendor is saying it could be a month.

As for your graphics card;  I would really do the driver clean I linked earlier, and the bios update.  Delete your render cache and all that all before you reload the project again for editing. 

I found an old post here in the forum that to my untrained eye seems to be 'kinda' like what your seeing here.

Solved: Error Code: -1609629690 Accelerated Renderer Error - Adobe Support Community - 10473212

My quick read of the thread, it seemed to have some good ideas in there.  The one that struck me as relevent was the size of the video memory on the graphics card.  But there was a few other gems in there.  I had to look the specs up (pasted below) and that card only has 4GB of memory.  I was a little surpised as I didnt think they made cards with less than 8GB.  If the video memory turns out to be the issue its goign to very hard to fix on a laptop (maybe an external eGPU, but if you have to do that I would buy a new laptop).

This thread I shared, also went into "smart render" as a workaround if memory serves me correct, I read so many now I may be wrong on that.

If you load that on another machine you have, it woudl really shed some light on the problem.  I would suggest that you try and use a machien with 8GB of memory.  I read somewhere that each 4k video frame needed 4GB of memory.....

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-Notebook.168400.0.html 

SPECS GTX 1050Ti.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avery,

Sorry for the hassle. Make sure you have the NVIDIA Studio Driver installed: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/167762/ The game ready driver, that many people have mistakenly installed, is wreaking havoc with 14.8. Let us know if you have installed that or not.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin! I saw your post yesterday and installed it, and I didn't get any changes. Do I need to uninstall older nvidia drivers as well?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
AveryMiller AUTHOR LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone! I wanted to post an update on what I've done since my last post.
I went ahead and reinstalled windows (where all programs are deleted, but my files aren't) and the issue is still there! It's mind blowing, I know. I thought it must be corrupt footage at this point, so I rendered my footage into cineform and still, had the issue.
In the specific project I've been working on since my original post I have a lot of dynamic links to an after effect project. Many clips have optics compensation, brightness and contrast, and sharpness effects applied. These clips seem to sometimes trigger the error. While going through and attempting to prerender these compositions, I discovered clips where I removed the b&c and sharpness effects would prerender without issue, while clips with all the effects enabled would fail with the "dreaded error". (Interestingly, the clips with the optics compensation enabled and no other effects still cause an error when rendering them in premiere via dyamic link, but don't cause an error when I render the composition in Media Encoder. I don't know if this means anything to any of you but I, for one, am confused.)
In some of the test renders I've done, if I don't change anything and restart the failed render (in media encoder) it sometimes works fine the second time around.
I've also tested changing my project's resolution, disabling the intel GPU, disabling the nvidia gpu, and still nothing.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines