Error message: Premiere Pro requires access to the following folders: Documents, Desktop, Downloads

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to open Premier Pro, I get the above error message. My answer is "No. Absolutely not."
Why on earth would I give any app whatsoever access to my entire documents folder, desktop and downloads? But it won't open otherwise, so I need a workaround. Fast.  

2019 MBP running macOS 11.1. 

I'm really hoping this is a mistake.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro stores it's own folders of information in those places. For crying out loud, it doesn't read anything else. But your user profile with all your custom workspaces, your keyboard shortcuts file, your list of recent projects, all that stuff is what's stored in there. Your "local" Creative Cloud files ... all sorts of things Premiere needs to operate.

So ... you have to allow Premiere Pro to store it's files there. As you may be aware, many other apps do also.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hogwash. Adobe has for years assumed that they could be a poor steward of our machines and it's coming to light now that Apple doesn't give them carte blanche. Their Privacy Policy is broad, and they are otherwise not transparent about the way they collect and use information about the files in these folders. For starters, they routinely force their way into the sidebar of Finder, litter folders throughout my files, and then send a ton of that information back to themselves and third-parties (set up Little Snitch and watch for yourself).

If Premiere needs access to write to these folders they should wait until the app boots, convey that need, and to the extent possible make it optional. I do not want Premiere putting anything on my Desktop or in my Downloads folder. I also don't want to use my Documents folder because it's synced to iCloud and I have a limited amount of storage there. So much like the OP, this is a complete dealbreaker for me. Good riddance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That data is the information on performance of the app. It's all anonymized and just stored as metrics of program performance, they have no way of finding out who what metrics came in from. Why? Because Adobe has this information coming from many companies in the business that have incredibly strict confidentiality rules. Think the major studios for Hollywood movies and of course broadcast network stuff.

They have to prove to all their security people that nothing concerning any information on user or media is passed through. The entire system is constantly checked for "leaks" and inappropriate behavior.

If any studio or network security people found an issue, it would be a noisy discovery. Guaranteed.

So that's how their system is set up. What it does is provide them with data to monitor how many users are having crashes and what performance they're getting.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very charitable and trusting.

Adobe lost many tens of millions of credit card numbers a few years ago, right? And then every few months they would quietly announce that the loss of data was larger than thought, and there were actually tens of millions more people affected. I think in the end it turned out double what they originally claimed.

Now we should trust them with access to private folders because they have good security?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm giving the information as it is. PrPro is used in a lot of applications that are under very strict security requirements. The type of work that has often been requiring air-gapped computers to touch the project.

And for those companies to start using PrPro, their security types have run a pretty rigorous checking process because they think "trust but verify" too lenient ... lol.

From everything they've published in discussions, the data seen is simply data on PrPro's performance, and doesn't even include identifiers for any computer/ISP stuff. So they've got raw performance data, but don't even know where it came from.

Again, that's not Adobe talk, that's the comments from paranoid security for the main Hollywood and such companies.

Adobe is a major corporate enterprise ... so I have no problem with their comments undergoing thorough scrutiny. Ahem.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The company initially revealed that 2.9 million customers' sensitive and personal data was stolen in security breach which included encrypted credit card information.[88][89][90] Adobe later admitted that 38 million active users have been affected and the attackers obtained access to their IDs and encrypted passwords, as well as to many inactive Adobe accounts.[91][92]

A 3.8 GB file stolen from Adobe and containing 152 million usernames, reversibly encrypted passwords and unencrypted password hints was posted on AnonNews.org.[95] LastPass, a password security firm, said that Adobe failed to use best practices for securing the passwords and has not salted them.[96][97] Another security firm, Sophos, showed that Adobe used a weak encryption method permitting the recovery of a lot of information with very little effort.[98] According to IT expert Simon Bain, Adobe has failed its customers and 'should hang their heads in shame'.[99]

After stealing the customers' data, cyber-thieves also accessed Adobe's source code repository, likely in mid-August 2013.[104] Because hackers acquired copies of the source code of Adobe proprietary products,[105] they could find and exploit any potential weaknesses in its security, computer experts warned.[106] Security researcher Alex Holden, chief information security officer of Hold Security, characterized this Adobe breach, which affected Acrobat, ColdFusion and numerous other applications, as "one of the worst in US history".[107] Adobe also announced that hackers stole parts of the source code of Photoshop, which according to commentators could allow programmers to copy its engineering techniques[108] and would make it easier to pirate Adobe's expensive products.[109][110]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're gaslighting, just leave it alone from this point as I'm sure somebody will step in and just declare your posts as spam. This has absolutely nothing to do with simply allowing the program to write files to the computer for purposes of making the software run....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe you actually spent the time to go find that, copy,  & paste it here.

Lessee ... 2013. Right. Eight years ago.

Very public, they dealt with it.

And as noted above, some of the folks I work with have been through the process to get security clearance to work big-budget/network/streaming shows where it costs several thousand dollars to them, they have numerous visits from security types poking through their shop's computer/internet security, and it takes HOURS of their time besides.

Most of them runnning PrPro, which passed the security process.

You ever been through that?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Click Deny. If the program fails to open/run, you will need to either allow access to those directories or uninstall the application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines