• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error "The file has an unsupported compression type." while importing video of codecs h.265

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Platform: Windows 10 Home

Hardware: Intel i7 6gen, geforce 1070

Product: Adobe Premiere Pro 2020 (14.4)

Video codecs (as indicated by VLC codecs information): MPEG-H Part2/HEVC (H.265) (hevc)

Video source: Hikvision dashcam

Hello, I have encountered a problem that is blocking me from doing any work. I am attempting to put together a video collected from my dashcam. However, I am failing on import for with the error message: "The file has an unsupported compression type."

I have attempted the steps on https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/troubleshoot-MTS-files.html, which does not resolve the problems for me (1st method: doesn't work. 2nd method: cannot find AVCHD directory, 3rd method: there is no "C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecs"directory to begin with.).

I have also tried a variety of community methods (including those listed on https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/can-t-import-hevc-videos-to-premiere-pro-2018/td-p/94167...), none of which really helps my case.

1. Video conversion by 3rd party software prior to import: handbrake does not have CUDA acceleration and is extremely slow with the CPU I have, VLC conversion somehow clips the beginning of the video and end of the audio, and has already caused me having to ditch the work I have done. Plus, there really should be an Adobe native solution, right?
  2. Changing extension into .mts, .m4a, etc.: file now loads, but only the audio track is available.
  3. Per community methods, it sounds like a prompt should show up and alert me to install HEVC codecs, but one never pops for me. I am NOT using a trial version, NOT using a version before 12.01, and HAVE tried reinstalling Premiere Pro from Creative Cloud Desktop.

My project is of a lower importance, has no deadline, but is time consuming so I do want to take the time to get things "right" instead of using tricks and workarounds. Can somebody helpfully provide me with some thoughts on how to resolve the issue?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?