Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Retrieving Frame

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I saw there are a few posts on this topic already, but I checked those and it didn't help me.

For the last few weeks, I've been seeing that red sign saying "error retrieving frame at..." pop up pretty often, that is, every single time I'm using Premiere. It doesn't immediately freeze, but once I see that, I know it will soon. Weird thing is, it doesn't freeze completely, I can still close panels, if I hit 'play' nothing moves at all but I do hear the sound working fine. So, the last two weeks have been a complete nightmare. I have made next to no progress at all. Every single time I open this program, it will freeze, after just a little bit of editing. Sometimes it freezes after an hour, sometimes, I'm not even able to make one single edit. I've been thinking of just exporting whatever I have and moving the whole project to DaVinci Resolve (since I'll be color grading on it anyway). Only reason I haven't done this is cause I have a co-editor on the same premiere project. I should mention, I'm having this same problem with another project. And what drives me nuts is that I haven't changed anything substantial in the project (at least not that I'm aware of, obviously). I'm still editing with the same footage as before and I didn't have this problem before. The only difference I can think of is that I've added some short sound clips (sound FX), in .wav or .mp3. I tried switching CUDA and Software only. This project doesn't even have mixed footage, it's all Red camera footage and I'm editing with .mov-proxys, not even with .r3d files (the .mov proxy files are created automatically by the camera alongside the .r3d-files). And again, up until a few weeks ago, I'd never had this problem.

Adobe Premiere Pro v14.0, version 14.0.1

Intel Core i7 7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90GHz

NVIDIA GeForce940MX

16GB RAM

Windows 10 Home, version 1903

working on external harddrive G-drive 10TB (around 40% still available space)

I'm not using any third party plugins (at least that I'm aware of, I haven't installed anything)

Any ideas??

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I've just played through the entire timeline (ca 20 min film) and it played through. But when trying to export, it got stuck at 1%. But like I said, Premiere keeps freezing anyway, so it's not an export issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

getting the same issue on a brand new system with .mp4 and .mov files.

working from a lumaforge Jellyfish on 10gb ethernet

having no issues on my mac pro from 2013 working off the same jellyfish only on PC

Premiere 14.0.2 (build 104)

dual Intel Xeon gold 5118 2.30Ghz

128 GB ram

nvidia quadro P5000 GPU driver 442.19

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 1909 build 18363.657

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and just on playback not trying to export or anything just playback in the source window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can anyone from Adobe adress this?? I thought the update today would correct this but it seems it does not. This is really aggrivating to have this happen on a brand new system and is affecting my ability to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating to 14.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that update today (as stated), still having the issue. with just simple playback in source or program window. it will work for a while then the errors will come and just keep coming everytime I try to play anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You posted 14.0.2, not 14.0.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derp, I may not have relied to the first post so it may be out of order. In the first post on the 21st yes, though in a subsequent reply on the 26th I said I updated that day. It seemed to work for a while then the errors just started popping up like crazy. its only happeing on the PC. The Mac pro I am using has no issues (but it is way slower, Ive been using it steadily sonce 2013) but since I installed on my new PC workstation it is just causing chaos. Spent a fair amount of money to get this new PC and it is unusable for editing due to this issue. I have not even tried compsiting on it yet so not sure if AE is having these issues too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it's been over 2 weeks... other than "update", I've seen no response from Adobe here. Don't know what to do. I wonder if I'm using this Adobe Support Community wrong..? Not very experienced with this. But I checked the other discussions on this issue and it just didn't help. I removed the footage that the "error retrieving frame..." message was referring to, then reimported the original footage and edited it back into the timeline: same thing. I even removed the footage in question alltogether, then exported the whole sequence as an MP4, then re-imported that MP4 and put it in a new timeline, so that I could at least do some basic audio editing (I gave up on picture editing at this point 😞 and still: "error retrieving frame..."

I wonder if it's me handling the software or something inside the project wrong. but I didn't have this issue before on the same project. and I don't seem to be the only one with this issue, so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution to this, but I just wanted to let you know I've been having the exact same error, also on the most recent versions of Windows 10 and Premiere Pro. I've tried downgrading to previous versions of Premiere Pro (14.0.1 and 14.0.2), which didnt work, and re-upgrading to the most recent version didn't work either. I also made a post about this same issue a few days ago, so it would be nice if Adobe is paying attention to unresolved errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a few weeks I have the same problem with editing on my Dell XPS 9550 (Intel HD530 combination with Geforce GTX 960M). I'm running the latest software, latest drivers from DELL. Somewhat random I gett the message error retreiving frame. One night I get everything to work, even if adobe give me the warning that I use a unsupported videocard (Intel) although the Geforce GTX is running the program. When premiere doesn't give me the warning it keeps crashing. It is totally unworkable, every time I'm reinstalling drivers and adobe. Then it works for a while (finally could finish a small movie) and now when I want to edit a new project Premiere Pro keeps failing!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, your not using it wrong. Premiere and After Effects just have so many problems they can't possibly solve them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... is no one from Adobe's Tech Support gonna address this issue?? I've been battling with this issue for two months now! No solutions have been offered. Here and there, other users have posted about what has worked for them (and let's face it, those are all work-arounds, they're not solving the problem). I tried all of that - didn't help. Some work-arounds got rid of the problem for a little while (a few minutes of editing), then the issue pops up again. I find it surprising how in all of this we only have APP users sharing their experiences... Adobe staff have been noticeably absent from these threads (I've been following three different ones on this issue).

If this Adobe Support Community is not the actual place where I'm supposed to get tech support, if there's a different chat or a hotline where I can get in touch with an Adobe's actual Tech Support staff, please let me know! 😞 Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone from Adobe remote help is already busy for two hours trying to solve the problem but even stock footage from the adobe premiere pro tutorial is giving the "error retrieving frame" 

I'm getting so frustraded with the problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I was having some other problems that caused me to uninstall and reinstall. I just decided to try one of the tutorials and got that error right away from the tutorial file.  I had deleted all old preferences and temp files etc. everything. This was a clean install, latest version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'M HAVING THE SAME ISSUE. Like honest to God, if I am paying money to have an Adobe sub, the least they can do is have someone on staff respond to threads. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! I am so frustrated... my app keeps crashing and giving that blasted red message before it goes to hell... like CAN SOMEONE HELP? Jesus Christ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope, they aren't going to address this any or any of the other problems that have been going on for years. I started getting this error in 2015 and now I'm getting it on different workstations with different media on different projects (actually a new project with new media) in 2020. Premiere is jank. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am getting this error and in my experience it can add up to a disaster. First error of the dayFirst error of the day

I have the 3 seperate drives set up like any educated editor should and have more than enough computing power, RAM, GPU, CPU, etc... I'm pulling from SSDs and all that basic jazz. 

Windows 10. 2 x1050 TI graphics cards. 

Media is high quality pro res all at 23.976. 

This is my lively hood and can't afford massive issues so Im trying to be proactive here. What is happening and how can I prevent it from getting worse? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OTF,

Sorry, friend. Still experiencing this? Let us know more about the media you are using and how that is ingested. Hope to help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, I have the same problem but I think I already found the solution. In my opinion, the Premiere Pro are having issues like that bcs of your driver version update. Few weeks ago I've update my intel driver to the newest version. Then I opened premiere pro for the first time on this updated driver and it shows error like that (error retrievin frame...). But then I choose to roll back my intel driver version to the previous version (you can do this at display adapter option on device manager). After that, everything back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines