Highlighted

Export footage is warm and desaturated in comparison to preview in PP

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, On the left is the preview in premier and on the right is the exported file, I have tried the QT gamma lut and saturated the footage too much. I used the h.264 and all the regular export settings.

Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 9.11.38 PM.png

We'd need your system, the settings, and your monitor plus any calibration you've done.

Here's some links to the general issue of color management, which is what you're having troubles with.

Neil

Discussion on this forum with intro article by Premiere color-engineer and no co-product manager Francis Crossman:

“Why does my footage look darker”

An article by noted Norwegian editor/fx/teacher Jarle Leirpoll on color managing options in Premiere:

How Display Color Management in Premiere Works

An article by noted color management expert Steve Shaw of Lightillusion.com, the company that makes one of the most-used color management apps used by colorists to control and verify their systems:

Why Master on a Calibrated Display?

A blog by noted editor/blogger Jonny Elwyn on CM for editors:

Color Management for Video Editors

And finally, a tutorial (referenced in above Elwyn piece) by myself for MixingLight.com, a pro colorist's teaching website. This explanation of Premiere's internal color pipelines is freely available outside their paywall:

Finishing at the Highest Possible Quality in Premiere Pro

Topics

Editing, Export, Formats, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export footage is warm and desaturated in comparison to preview in PP

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, On the left is the preview in premier and on the right is the exported file, I have tried the QT gamma lut and saturated the footage too much. I used the h.264 and all the regular export settings.

Screenshot 2020-09-07 at 9.11.38 PM.png

We'd need your system, the settings, and your monitor plus any calibration you've done.

Here's some links to the general issue of color management, which is what you're having troubles with.

Neil

Discussion on this forum with intro article by Premiere color-engineer and no co-product manager Francis Crossman:

“Why does my footage look darker”

An article by noted Norwegian editor/fx/teacher Jarle Leirpoll on color managing options in Premiere:

How Display Color Management in Premiere Works

An article by noted color management expert Steve Shaw of Lightillusion.com, the company that makes one of the most-used color management apps used by colorists to control and verify their systems:

Why Master on a Calibrated Display?

A blog by noted editor/blogger Jonny Elwyn on CM for editors:

Color Management for Video Editors

And finally, a tutorial (referenced in above Elwyn piece) by myself for MixingLight.com, a pro colorist's teaching website. This explanation of Premiere's internal color pipelines is freely available outside their paywall:

Finishing at the Highest Possible Quality in Premiere Pro

Topics

Editing, Export, Formats, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

...so we dont have to download unknown files: we help you, you help us. Thanks! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with proxies and are the proxies toggled off while you're coloring?

Another thing to try is using Software Encoding rather than Hardware Encoding on export.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am working with proxies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they are turned off while you're coloring?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes what is the procedure when colour grading with proxies, how would that affect the colour?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't necessarily have a huge impact like what you're showing in your pictures, but the point of working with good quality footage is to have color latitude. If you're referencing the proxies when you are coloring, then you're cutting out all of that color information. I tried to make a small example here (it's going to be compressed and look like crap but hopefully gets the point across): 

You can hopefully see that the color information is different between the two. On my screen you can actually see that there are less pixels in the proxy version, less color data, but it's all getting mushed up in compression. In most situations - the grade that gets applied to the original footage on export is probably not going to have a drastic difference, but I'm bringing this up just in case it does in this instance. If your footage was in log but then you're applying a gamma curve to the proxy video, the results may not be as intended. It's at least worth looking into, even if it's not the bigger answer here. You want to be grading your original media - not your proxies.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 1
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davince Resolve will do the same thing. The video migt be worth wathching.

https://youtu.be/K7EGNJop_HE

This video demonstrates a method to have your rendered images that are upload to YouTube look like what you see in the GUI of Premiere Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020 0