Highlighted

Export my Masters Using Video Previews

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can I export a video using the video previews? My sequence  is Apple Pro Res 422. My master is Apple Pro Res 422. Can I use my video previews in the export process? Is there any problem to use my 422 video previews in my master export? Why can I choose to export using video previews? I select "Use Preview" only to export offline low res. Never for my masters. 

My last video has 24 minutes. Sequence Apple Pro Res 422 and Master 422. Have done color grade in Lumetri. Render it. And want to know if I can export my master using my video preview. And then use this master to make Youtube and IGTV mp4 for upload. 

I don't if I am right, but for a 25 minute documentary with a lot of clips, audio, motion, jpegs, caption was hard to export. To export small commercials videos is quite fast make a Apple Pro Res or MP4 files. Doing this documentary my export workflow is like this: Export my 422 Master and make MP4 Instagram version in Media Encoder. It is much more solid use MEdia Encoder.

Thanks

Video Editor https://vimeo.com/fernandoalves

Topics

Export, Formats, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Export my Masters Using Video Previews

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can I export a video using the video previews? My sequence  is Apple Pro Res 422. My master is Apple Pro Res 422. Can I use my video previews in the export process? Is there any problem to use my 422 video previews in my master export? Why can I choose to export using video previews? I select "Use Preview" only to export offline low res. Never for my masters. 

My last video has 24 minutes. Sequence Apple Pro Res 422 and Master 422. Have done color grade in Lumetri. Render it. And want to know if I can export my master using my video preview. And then use this master to make Youtube and IGTV mp4 for upload. 

I don't if I am right, but for a 25 minute documentary with a lot of clips, audio, motion, jpegs, caption was hard to export. To export small commercials videos is quite fast make a Apple Pro Res or MP4 files. Doing this documentary my export workflow is like this: Export my 422 Master and make MP4 Instagram version in Media Encoder. It is much more solid use MEdia Encoder.

Thanks

Topics

Export, Formats, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your preview is an intraframe like ProRes, Cineform, or DNxHD/R, and the preview format/codec for the sequence is the same as the export, then on export simply use the 'use previews' option, and yes, any previews you've created will be used. It's the same format/codec, so same quality.

And yes, you can queue that export over to MediaEncoder and keep working in Premiere while it's encoding.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the 'Use Previews' checkbox, also check the Match Sequence Settings box at the very top. I've found that it vastly speeds up the encode in a way that just the 'Use Previews' box alone does not. Now that I'm writing this I want to test it again, but I'm pretty sure that's the experience I had. Generally speaking, I think this (what the OPis doing) is a smart way to work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, guys!

Phillip, I have done a export checking Match Sequence Settings. As you said, much faster and pretty solid export (no crash, nothing). Do you know why it is much faster in Match Sequence Settings mode?

Neil, now I am going to another documentary, but different situation. Have some AppleProRes LT from BlackMagic pocket, H.264 from a Cannon, some jpegs from Cannon, H.264 from I phone. Thinking to convert only Iphone material  to Apple Pro Res LT because of its variable frame rate in Handbrake or EditReady. 

So I have several codecs in my project, but my timeline is Apple Pro Res 422. Can I use my video previews when export my 422 Master? Does Use Preview or Match Sequence Settings work on a timeline with several codecs?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll probably want to address the VFR in the iPhone videos in Handbrake ahead of time if you are concerned with audio sync. If you're not concerned with audio sync (like if the videos are just for B-Roll) then you can go straight to transcoding it to ProRes LT. The resulting file will be constant (it just wouldn't have fixed the audio desync that way).

You can still make previews with ProRes 422, you will simply be making larger versions of the media with no actual quality improvement. There isn't really any harm in doing that except the extra hard drive space. You could potentially shift your previews to ProRes LT and export to ProRes LT (although that may not be necessary because SmartRendering might be able to use the existing ProRes codecs in the timeline? I'd have to look into that further. Not trying to add a layer of confusion.) Anyway, the point being: you can make ProRes 422 previews, but nothing in your timeline is going to be higher quality than ProRes LT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an idea that it is not good to export you Master using my video previews or Match Sequence Settings. Is it true? When can I use my videos previews and when I can not?

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't really understand what you mean. If you plan on exporting a master, then it's not a bad a idea to create and use previews just like you have been. What you are doing is good. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To use previews, clips have to be rendered to previews using the format/codec of the final export. So ... if your master is to be ProRes422, then your previews must be ProRes422 to be included.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot, Phillip and Neil! You guys help me to understand the video previews and its implication in export set up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines