• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported Open Captions different from captions in Premiere Pro (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, 

I just did a recent job and was asked to export captions as SRT files. Managed to do so but the exported subtitles played in Windows Media Player & VLC do not look like the subs in the premiere pro working file. 

Anyone know what is the issue? 

I posted some images along side with the settings of the captions. The subs with the grey box behind is the subs in the premiere pro working folder while the totally white one is the exported subs played along with the exported video in the above mentioned media player. 

Do help a guy out! Really appreciate it! Thank you!!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

the subs still look completely different than the ones in Premiere. 

My point is that the player (VLC, Youtube) determines how your subtitles will look. If they support a format that matches what you intend, then they MAY look the same. But the person viewing may have their system set up to display differently. There are many moving parts. Premiere's Subtitles (what was previously called Open Captions) can be exported. But the reason they support many fonts, colors, etc is so you can burn in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lance,

Sounds like your styles are mismatched. Can you embed the images instead of attaching them, please? Most people here won't download them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Here you go man! Apologies, first time here.

What do you mean by my styles are mismatched? Do not really quite understand this. 

When I preview it in premiere, it is okay, then it becomes bigger and without the grey background when I export it.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 223611.png

Screenshot 2021-03-25 231457.png

Screenshot 2021-03-25 231507.png

Screenshot 2021-03-25 223522.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using? I have not downloaded the attachments but if you are in the 2021 version, try to create a first Caption, then you create the Track Style for the following ones to be created in that style. If you already have your Captions ready then create a Track Style and apply it to each one before exporting it, while when exporting with the Media Export window you activate the "Include SRT Style" check box, because as Kevin writes, it seems that it does not match.

Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-25 a la(s) 11.44.01.png

Captura de Pantalla 2021-03-25 a la(s) 12.16.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man! 

But I did my captions in the Captions segment.

Screenshot 2021-03-26 082712.png 

I am not so sure how to create a track style and applying it to each. 

Yes, I am currently using 2021. 

Screenshot 2021-03-25 223611.pngScreenshot 2021-03-25 231457.pngScreenshot 2021-03-25 231507.pngScreenshot 2021-03-25 223522.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I am using 2020*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my response in this other thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/subtitles-not-the-same-after-export/m-p/11925113#M337496

PR's SRT export, even with Styling included, carries very little information. Using the EBU N19 (STL) export carries more information.

VLC and many others will not use styling even if you export a file that has it. In my tests, I may have missed settings that will work better in VLC. Also, there are many settings in VLC.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man!

I tried exporting as STL but the subs still look completely different than the ones in Premiere. 

However, my client does want to put on Youtube. Will it look the same on youtube? Just different on media players? 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the subs still look completely different than the ones in Premiere. 

My point is that the player (VLC, Youtube) determines how your subtitles will look. If they support a format that matches what you intend, then they MAY look the same. But the person viewing may have their system set up to display differently. There are many moving parts. Premiere's Subtitles (what was previously called Open Captions) can be exported. But the reason they support many fonts, colors, etc is so you can burn in what you see. But an external player has to be able to support the font and color and style.

Here is the Youtube help page that explains what they support:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698?hl=en#zippy=%2Cbasic-file-formats%2Cadvanced-file-...

They recognize none of the simple formats. And the more advanced formats are unlikely to match your style. There are some workarounds, but no guarantee you can match a style.

Not a simple matter. And only partly a function of what PR supports.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines