• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exported Video Looks Awful

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to solve this for a week now. I have an animated sequence that I have tried importing to Premiere either as a .mkv (movie) file (exported from Blender) or as an PNG image sequence directly into Premiere. Either way, when I export the video the sequence looks awful.

What's driving me up the wall is that I've already imported other sequences into the Premiere project that look fine when exported. That would seem to indicate that there is something about this particular sequence that is causing the problem. However, when I render it out of Blender, it looks fine and sharp. It even appears to be sharp when editing in Premiere, but then when exported looks awful.

You can see the issue here at 2:30. But then notice at 2:36, the image looks much sharper.

Test Run 16 - YouTube

Same thing can be seen at 2:50, looks sharp. But then at 2:55, the quality drops again (different sequence).

Export Settings.JPG

Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: One other detail: The animation is rendered at 30fps.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Here is the answer. I wasted so much time on this! (prob 20-30 hours) And it was in a panel that was hidden. I had to minimize the Export settings to be able to see this panel. I set it to VBR, 2 pass and upped the bitrate settings to maximum. Problem solved.

bitrate settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

==============

I have been trying to solve this for a week now. I have an animated sequence that I have tried importing to Premiere either as a .mkv (movie) file (exported from Blender) or as an PNG image sequence directly into Premiere. Either way, when I export the video the sequence looks awful.

============

I don't understand. In one case you are exporting a movie (mkv whatever that is, with some codec ? ) and importing that to PPro ...and in the other case you are putting PNG files directly into PPro from blender without exporting the PNG files from blender ? Is that possible ?

You might want to just post screenshots of what you consider to be unacceptable difference in quality of your product.

For example, post shot of frame xxx that looks OK, and then post frame XYZ that does NOT look OK.  I personally don't think watching YOUTUBE and scrubbing through it to find the frames you refer to very satisfying. Nor do I see any difference in quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some screenshots. The first one is from inside Premiere and the second one shows the exported version.

premiere.JPG

dancer bad.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the answer. I wasted so much time on this! (prob 20-30 hours) And it was in a panel that was hidden. I had to minimize the Export settings to be able to see this panel. I set it to VBR, 2 pass and upped the bitrate settings to maximum. Problem solved.

bitrate settings.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two-pass is probably not needed ... that was crucial once upon a time for a combination of quality and file-size I think, but the modern CPU's compute this rather better than they used to. As another major 'poster' on here puts it, the only thing you get with 2-pass is longer export times.

Upping the bit-rate ... that was the key. Achieving the best bit-rate setting per frame-size is quite an art for some people. The mix of target/max, when to go with constant bit-rate, when variable, encoder levels, all that sort of thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. I got great export results with increased bitrate but sadly it just degenerates down again to the crappy look when I upload to YouTube. I tried using the YouTube 1080p export setting under H.264 but that didn't help. Any ideas?

Edit: Sigh, I researched it and YouTube just knocks the bitrate right back down again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YouTube is a difficult problem for many. It seems they upload/ re-encode differently from different locations and depending on maybe how "major" or whatever your channel might be.

That's the only thing I can think of.

One of the regular folks here suggests using DNxHD/R as they will take it and it often survives the re-encode better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This minor change is a GAME CHANGER! The quality is much better now. Thank you so much for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good going !

Your question prompted me to finally install PPro cs6 on my laptop, which I just got done doing ( no disc drive so I had to download the files, etc. … took forever ).  Basically I couldn't remember all the export options and I don't like turning on the desktop edit computer ( which has cs6 creative suite on it ) which has no internet connection.

So we both got stuff done tonight !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this...

see export settings... no check mark in max render … just do same settings but use your full HD ( mine is 720p)

source was originally S log 4k but I deleted that from computer in Winter..as the DP who shot it and gave me the footage has his own edit online of the event... it wasn't MINE ( the source). But I saved the MP4 export, and that's what I used in this sample...a small section of it... ( which I advise you do when testing stuff.. just export sections where you have problems.. saves a lot of time )

Here's is screenshot in PPro CS6 of a frame....

tom-1 IN PPRO.png

Here's export settings

export settings.png

here it is on vimeo…

TOM-1-PPRO-FOR ANIMATION PERSON on Vimeo

I will delete all this stuff from my computer and vimeo within a few days or less.. as I hate having junk on my computer etc.

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines