• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Black Video

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Premiere Pro CC 13.0, and since then my videos have been exporting black. The titles still come through on the finished file, and the audio exports as well. The video files are just black. Everything looks fine in the project and in the export preview. I've tried exporting with Encoder and without it and same result.

I'm using h.264 with custom settings, but the exact settings I was using prior to updating. I also can't open my project file on the old version of Premiere because I've updated them to 13.0.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

I NESTED THOSE CLIPS WHICH WERE APPEARING BLACK AND IT SEEMED TO PERFECTLY DO THE JOB FIR ME!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to your Project Settings, and set Mercury Acceleration to 'software only' you'll probably see your media again.

If so, what that tells you is your video drivers are out of date for this version ... which is 90% the cause I'd guess ... and need to go to the manufacturer's website and manually search for the latest drivers and install them on your computer, with your GPU reactivated via that Mercury Acceleration setting of course.

Neil

Edit: you may need to go here to completely update to the latest Nvidia setup:

CUDA Toolkit 10.0 Download | NVIDIA Developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil,

I do have my Mercury Acceleration set to software only. I will download the new NVIDIA (thanks for sending the link) and let you know if it works.

Zach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I have the new CUDA installed, as well as Mac OSX Mojave and all software possible updated, but the video is still exporting black. Again, titles show up, the logo in the corner shows up, but the video clips are black. I have Mercury playback for software only.

Any other solutions? Anyone? Missing deadlines here...

Thanks!
Zach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are on deadline . . . not a solution but a possible workaround:

Does everything render and playback correctly in the timeline?

If you change your Preview settings for you sequence to your desired export properties, can you do the preview render in Premiere? (Test this with a small section of the timeline)

If you do the above successfully, can you then export successfully with Match Sequence Settings and Use Previews checked?

(Again, test this with a small section of the timeline)

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this.

Thank you!

Hopefully there is also a fix though, because exporting in h.264 with my custom settings is ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so everyone knows. Adobe says there is a bug with alpha channel during export. Meaning if you have a transparent video on a layer above your video clips, the transparent layer will have a black background, blocking out anything below.

That is what was happening. The solution for me now is to export my video without my animation, logo and titles that are transparent clips. Then to create a new file in the old version of premiere and import that exported video sans animations, and then add all the animations in the old version.

Timeline of bug fix is "a couple of weeks."

I don't know why they had me try a bunch of tasks before admitting there was a bug. I could have saved a lot if I went straight to the workaround instead of trying to troubleshoot something. They should have been up-front about the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow my adjustment layer for color grading apparently had a bug and only made everything black during export. now i know. Thanks for sharing this. For others, try truning off all layers above your footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, 

Thank you so much for this. IT WORKED! 

What is actually a video driver though? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey listen whenever i export after effects project with media encoder its just plain black video help pls...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I NESTED THOSE CLIPS WHICH WERE APPEARING BLACK AND IT SEEMED TO PERFECTLY DO THE JOB FIR ME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Nested the whole project, but the Exported file is still just a black screen!  I'm using Version 13.1.5 and the Mercury Application is set to Software Only also.  Any other fixes???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HAving the exact same issue!

But ONE part of the video does display after export. V2 channel which was imported from a different camera and settings.

Again...everything looks fine in Preview!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the difference between the image files? Format/codec?

Does this also happen if you go to the Project setttings dialog and set Mercury Acceleration to software only?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years later, issue is back. Exported a video now with custom settings earlier today, exported fine. But now, completely black. Had to match settings as well to get an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh me too!! Why does this happen!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific version of Premiere are you using, down through all the dot and extra number build data?

Are you exporting directly from Premiere, or queueing to MediaEncoder?

And which formats/codecs?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved?  I am having the same issue with a section of video that I had to convert to a format that premiere supported and when I export that section is black video.  the audio and graphics (words) showup but not the video?? I am using Adobe Premiere Pro 2020 version 14.7.0 build 23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend doing a Render & Replace with that clip on the sequence then. Use something like the ProRes 422 codec. Then try exporting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

This worked for me:

Go to "Sequence" menu - "Sequence Settings". Select Editing mode as "HDV 1080p". Timebase: 23.976 frames. OK. Confirm to regenerate the previews.

That absolutely worked for me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out that the clips that are rendered black were the cuts of the same nested clip. When I opened the nested clip, the eye of the track was off. I don't know why It was showing all clips preview in the main sequence even when the preview of the track was off in the nested sequence. The solution was not just turning track preview ON. To fix this problem, go through this process:
1- Save the project, close and reopen it.
2- Now it will not show the preview of clips that are part of the nested sequence.
3- Turn on the preview inside the nested sequence. But the main sequence will still not show the preview of clips that are part of the nested sequence.
4- Select all clips of the nested sequence's required track and move them to the upper track. Now remove them to the bottom track again. 
5- Go to the main sequence, it will now show previews & render the same (WYSIWYG).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to export my video several different times now trying every single fix in this thread as well as updating my media encoder and still no luck. My first minute of video shows up (the part with the most technical editing) but the rest displays a black screen (the parts with the least complex editing). I can still hear all of my audio but I cant see the rest of my video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,
Try this fix:
- delete all files and folders in "C:\Users\Username\Documents\Adobe"
- Re-open Premiere Pro
- Try to render again

--
Thanks
Harsha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines