• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exporting footage to .mp4

Contributor ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to export to .mp4 file, footage captured from VHS and miniDV tapes. What kind of settings must be used in the export pane, in order to combine optimum quality and the smallest possible file size?

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on being Pal or Ntsc. VHS is most likely 4:3. Mini dv could also be widescreen. So which is it?

On a side note its either good quality or small file size. Cannot have both. I would go for the former.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its Pal. As far as quality, i guess id want to have a good quality, but lower it as much as possible to the point it becomes viewable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to the point it becomes viewable.

By @genik

That is a matter of opinion, not very technical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the File / Export / Media... menu, and in Export Settings choose the H.264 Format and in the Preset choose Match Source - High Bitrate. With these settings, whatever your format is it will be practically the same but lighter and in MP4, even if the original quality of your video is good it will still be visibly good, but if it is bad it will also remain bad.

Captura de Pantalla 2021-02-21 a la(s) 11.19.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a 7min VHS footage,
with the MatchSource setting i get 573mb file

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.02.07.png

and with these settings i get a 150mb file

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 11.02.36.png

The quality seems the same.
What do u think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many variables that define why you need a video with high quality or low quality, I cannot give you that answer, in fact it is you who decides what quality you need or is convenient for you. If you see that 2/20 Mbps suits you well then use that setting, otherwise you can go testing and rehearsing to reach a balance between quality and size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can u define a couple of those variables just so i can understand what might those be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

- Why do I need the video clip.
- What is the purpose of that video clip.
- Where am I going to upload it.
- Where am I going to project it.
- I like it light and in poor quality or I like it heavier but in better quality.
- Etc etc.

That is, you are the one who must decide the quality and weight of your clip with the tools you have and based on your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines