• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting in Apple ProRes 422 Results in Fuzzy Picture (Moire Effect)

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this one is a bit complicated: I have a final film export in Apple ProRes 422 HQ.  I imported that export back into my Premire Pro in order to add foreign language subs to it (as the film is considered for a televison broadcast in that particular country).  

The reason I had to re-import the final export into Premiere Pro is because the film was color corrected on a different machine and exported from that machine.  That ex

port is of great quality.

However, when I now re-use it and when I try to re-export it together with subs, also as ProRes 422 HQ, no matter what export combination I use, I consistently get fuzzy picture/moire effects in certain sections.  See attached screen shot of the original file (final export) and re-exported file (pay attention to the front grid of the car).  Any thoughts what may be happening?

01 Original File.jpg02 Exported file.jpg

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Turn off max depth and max render and try again.

Please post the properties of the source file. Use Mediainfo in treeview.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likely you exported it in lower resolution or as interlaced instead of progressive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not moire.

Post screenshot export settings with left tab to output with image (not black).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was apparently lacking words - yes, interlacing is more appropriate.  In any case, here is the screen shot of one of the export settings I tried (which I thought should be best).  I am not sure what exactly you mean by "left tab to output with image (not black)," but I assume that you wanted me to include an image from the sequence, so I did. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And pardon me, I just realized that attached the still from incorrect export settings.  Use this one: 

Use this one.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off max depth and max render and try again.

Please post the properties of the source file. Use Mediainfo in treeview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually fixed it - it turned out that changing the Field Order from Progressive to Upper First did the trick.  Thank you all for all your help!  Here is how the final export settings look like: 

Changed Field Order to Upper First.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it works but it seems you have changed your sequence settings from progressive to interlaced is that correct for your footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I did is that I created the sequence so it matches my footage by dropping the footage onto the new sequence icon.  So, I believe that the sequence is correct for my footage.  Here are the footage properties, as well as the sequence settings:

Footage properties.png

Sequence settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines