Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting markers for projects

Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I am using markers to make notes for on the many shots and sequnces I have for documanatary style editing.

I would love to be able to export all of these markers to help me arrange/do paper edit once I have been through all of the footage.

There does not seem to be any way to export all of the markers (just one sequence at a time).

Surely there is a better way of doing this, as it wouod save a lot of time with projects that have a high shooting ratio and lods of footage to sort through.

Any help would be appreciated

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a handy little program called Post Notes 2.0 that may offer you an alternative solution.

I don't think you can export the notes (ask the developer; it may be a feature request) but you can see all of the note entries for a sequence at once, and each note entry can be attached to a timecode in the sequence. The web site has a cool demo. The program costs $25 and works in Pr 2020 on macOS Big Sur 11.2.2. Windows version also available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Thanks for this. That looks like pretty cool app.

To be honest, for my purposes, it is possibly as easy to stick to using the Markers Panel on Prem Pro, as it  allows notes to be added  and the markers are also searchable. Colour coding with the marker colour is also useful.

Best wishes

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just do it on paper after the fact ( after you shoot what you could get by shooting from the hip ).

Otherwise you're basically asking an edit program to edit for YOU using marker notes that don't even describe the final edit... which is kinda lazy IMO.

If you don't have some kind of timeline and story in mind, before you start shooting documentary ( in your case ) then who cares ???  You could end up with gibberish and everyone will love to watch it !

You could start off with shooting turtles, and then birds, and then humans, and then politicians, and then farmer's markets, and nobody will care as an audience, because you didn't care when you started your documentary.

Just do it on paper ... geez.... doesn't have to be complicated... just write down what you got when you get to the computer to input what you got ( with filename changes to keep stuff orgaized )...

You really have to think or it's called " street photography " NOT motion pic film or video..

Force your brain into THINKING and buy some typewriter paper at local store, and make it work.

🙂

good luck

p.s. don't forget sound and music !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salvo, 

Thanks for that.

Its not about getting the edit program to edit. If you are editing someone else's doc you may have hours of footage to go through for a film of a few minutes. It's useful to go through the footage and take notes on the content of the clip, the dialogue, who the main characters or topics were for the clips etc (for a more complex doc). 

I am doing my first mini doc  over several months and my memory is not good enough.

I have shot little films with a GH5 and used paper and post it notes  to get the sequence in order.  For me that doesnt work for a doc kind of project (my writing is pretty untidy, and I don't want to have to keep writing down time codes etc for the bits I want).

I get what your saying, but believe me,  I do think.

Thanks

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

believe it or not even ken burns uses strip boards... here's an example of some stupid program that promises to make them for you, which is dumb... you have to hire people to run production and keep on top of this stuff 24/7 cause of location and weather variables, etc.  It is changed constantly.. to help everyone stay employed.

https://setheroapp.com/blog/film-shooting-schedule-stripboard-template/

I'm shooting something called ( tentatively ) 'man tools and girl tools'.... maybe 20 seconds total when done.

I can hardly keep up with my mental notes as I try to piss off all the women in the world.

And simply live and DO something... keep working on SOMETHING... so god bless you for doing stuff to tell a story 

🙂

key for kitchen and man tool part done

GIRL TOOLS FIRST STEP LIGHTING.jpg

MAN TOOLS on Vimeo

use paper

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a program to rename files after import to computer from SD cards, SSD, etc....

Then I use my own paperwork FORMS to keep track of stuff as I keep track of what's what...

Like this sorta thing...

It looks neat as a form but it becomes a rat nest with notes and arrows and whatever it takes to keep my head around what I want to use to complete the puzzle....

Good luck to you too !

: )

YOUR OWN PAPER.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If shooting my own stuff it's slated... with sound from outside camera ( separate ) that needs to get sync'd ... so all this is a bit complicated I guess.... but it doesn't matter.... hours of stuff to make a minute is normal.

Anyway, you'll be fine just printing out your marker notes even if you have to do screenshots until you puke from spending a gazillion bucks on printer ink etc,.. whatever works is good.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once I was working as a grip on something directed by that guy who did 12 angry men, murder on the orient express, jeremiah johnson , stuff like that... and I did an idiot check before leaving location and found a fat notebook on a bench inside a church ... so I opened it to see who it belonged to, and it was the directors.... you wouldn't believe all the cool notes and stuff inside that thing... so I gave it to a PA to give to the director....but I learned something about how to USE PAPER.

For markers I usually just make notes ( if I ever use them cause it's rare cause I'm just a hobbyist ) about stuff like " fix sky" or " fix saturation " and stuff that only relates to that clip on that timeline... NOTHING about what to shoot and stuff like that... all that is on PAPER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brain dead.... I always get sydney lumet and sydney pollock mixed up... pollock did jeremiah johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a cool story. I have a notebook that I use which is good to refer back to.

My wrirting is so messy I can hardly read it, but wriring noted and getting out the old highlighters is a good method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe, my writing is also terrible but maybe not as bad as yours.

My experience in film biz was as grip ( motion pic mechanic ) in nyc. location scout to PA to grip. mostly natl. tv commercials, episodic tv and movies. some industrials and odd jobs. Never worked on a documentary. those jobs saw the 2nd AC doing notes re: film ( then digital ) ... like they have forms to fill out for film in the can so if it needs a reshoot they can duplicate various settings. Only other person making notes was script supervisor ( like noting the blocking angles and which takes the dir. likes ( print )).

everything was scripted with sound done by mixer on set... and video playback ( or DIT later) to review shots.

Nothing like the harder smaller things you do sponaneously is my guess.

Then when I retired I bought some stuff and started shooting my own stuff by myself ( which is really hard to do ).  But I only do really short stuff and I've only edited a few guys stuff they shot or had shot, so I don't have the experience you do.

Since my stuff is short and simple I don't make notes as I work. I have notes on my storyboard and in script but it's just really simple stuff. I end up sweating and trying to get stuff done fast but again, I don't do complicated stuff like you.

You'll do great and make things work so good going and keep it up... at the very least you'll be really happy to have made stuff and told stories, regardless of financial success... I think financial success is sometimes luck and perseverence.

🙂

interesting subject this has been... thanks for yappin !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks too.

I think you might mistake me for someone who is experienced.🤔 You have a
lot more experience than me.

I am doing a course and getting into more serious editing late in life, as
I want to work with better material than just a few corporate, paid videos
projects I have done.

Just want to try to be as efficient as possible, to give my self te best
shot at getting any good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it's a lot more fun and satisfying to talk about stuff like this, than dealing with most of this forum stuff re: hardware and software and UI problems. Editing and telling stories is more complicated than just having stuff that WORKS to do the job in terms of trying to use a gazillion platforms and cameras and codecs and how to simply use the programs ( discover where you have to go in UI to tell the program what to do ). I get bored with that stuff quickly. John Smith has a good database of junk to solve that kinda stuff, and Ann Bens knows a lot of ways to make things work but I really just care about the guts of editing and shooting and getting stuff done without problems with that simple poop which is non stop in this forum.

It should probably be called " hardware problems and bugs " and " how to read a help file " or whatever.

The forum is basically a free 'help' solution for a company that no longer keeps up with help files for current versions and it misrepresnts itself as a part of the 'customer support' we normally associate with a product we buy and expect help with. It's mind boggling.

I'd much rather talk about the actual shooting and editing of stuff with people like you.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I told some guy in ATL about my 'man tool and girl tool' thing and that it was a joke to make women mad ( as I don't associate tools with gender ) and he said , " look out, she might hit you in head with frying pan."

But I got no actors and just open or close drawers to show tools... and I don't think it will be more than 30 secs long.... so any extra info has to be fast text or voice over or nothing at all.. I have no clue.

But I gotta shoot it to even move on.... I can't just think about it... I gotta make it happen sorta.

I'm a jerk.

hehe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines