Highlighted

Exporting .mov file

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the latest PPCC (Mac). I just finished a short thing and wanted to export the video as a .mov (client's request) but found no option in PP's presets (coulda sworn there had been options for this). Everything is .mp4.

I searched around a bit and found an article posted just earlier this month, i.e. current. This person instructs: click on File > Media and then "Navigate through the various alternatives and select the Movie option." Well, I don't have "Movie" as an option within the Media menu. This person says an export settings window pops up with an "Output" button to click on and select a Premiere MOV export setup. Again, not on my PP.

It goes on to recommend the usual parameters that are found in the output window, which are meaningless to me since I can't get beyond the first step. Am I missing something? Is this person using a aged version of PP? Can I not export a .mov?

thx

alan b

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Meg_The_Dog | Adobe Community Professional

Choose Quicktime from the format dropdown:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 3.25.07 PM.png

Choose the flavor of ProRes you want from the Preset dropdown:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 3.25.19 PM.png

MtD

Topics

Export, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Exporting .mov file

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the latest PPCC (Mac). I just finished a short thing and wanted to export the video as a .mov (client's request) but found no option in PP's presets (coulda sworn there had been options for this). Everything is .mp4.

I searched around a bit and found an article posted just earlier this month, i.e. current. This person instructs: click on File > Media and then "Navigate through the various alternatives and select the Movie option." Well, I don't have "Movie" as an option within the Media menu. This person says an export settings window pops up with an "Output" button to click on and select a Premiere MOV export setup. Again, not on my PP.

It goes on to recommend the usual parameters that are found in the output window, which are meaningless to me since I can't get beyond the first step. Am I missing something? Is this person using a aged version of PP? Can I not export a .mov?

thx

alan b

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Meg_The_Dog | Adobe Community Professional

MtD

Topics

Export, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alan! 

A .MOV is just the generic file type so you won't see it show up as such in Premiere or Media Encoder as an option to export. However, normally when I need a .MOV file I use the codec ProRes. 

You can find it under Quicktime and then under Preset choose one of the ProRes file names. I normally use ProRes422HQ and it should work for what you're trying to do. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, as I implied initially, I thought there was a Quicktime selection in the Format popdown menu which then gave you the various ProRes options, but it's not there anymore. I'll include a screenshot here of the Format popdown wherein I expected a Quicktime option. You say "you won't see (.mov) show up as such in Premiere or Media Encoder as an option to export" so I'm unclear on how you export a QT ProRes.

Now, I do see the "Apple ProRes MXF OP1a" option wherein there are selections such as the ProRes422HQ you mention. However the resulting file type is .mxf not .mov.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 8.04.49 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mamma mia! What am I? Blind?

Okay, I have no excuse other than I was looking for .MOV in the list--as are formats such as MP3 and MPEG4, etc. displayed--and stopped looking at the "M"s. Plus I'm thinking, in my lack of experience, that H264 is (almost) synonymous with QT so why is it not in the H264 list?

Oy...okay. Well thanx for the wake-up call...and for not belittling my blindness.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines