• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exposure Correction & deinterlacing is avi better than mpg and Pro CS3 better than mpg DaVinci ?

Participant ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS3

I have .avi and .mpg footage from Hi8 tapes.

Two tasks to perform.

1. alter exposure on aircraft against sky.

2. De-interlace the footage.

For 1, I used on a full manual control camcorder, the same full manual control settings on shutter, aperture and gain for when aircraft were on the ground as well as when in the air,  (1/50 for prop blur, f11 gain 0) (or f might have been 14)  perfect exposure on ground, and when in air correct exposure usually when they are away from the sunnier part of the sky, but when they fly towards the brighter part with the sun out of shot they 'burn out' a bit.

I am redigitising some having lost the digi footage on a dead HDD, CS3 likes .avi but I had found Premiere was not made for .mpg and seemed to dislike it. Maybe CC likes .mpg as much as DaVinci or Vegas but I cannot do subs and use CC.

Thinking about task 1 would Premiere Pro CS3 with avi make it easier to adjust exposure than  open .avi into DaVinci or convert to .mpg then adjust exposure in DaVinci ?

I need to have the ability to lessen exposure as the aircraft come into the brighter sky, I cannot see a way of doing a gradual 'repai' Vegas has it that its all the clip or nothing. Can Premiere better that ?

Task 2 is this better with avi and using Premiere or should it be done by e.g. handbrake before import ?

handbrake is a dedicated prog with all sorts of settings so how is Premiere ? Should I edit clips after they are deinterlaced ?

Flat screen TVs will deinterlace footage, but trying to get stills out of this footage they are ruined with comb teeth on edges of objects so I have loads of deinterlacing to do, but is it best to do so before import into Premiere or at export especially if I am doing frame accurate editing ?

Merlin

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?