• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra 02 frames added to timeline

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have combined 5 video clips, each 15 seconds (for a total of 1min 15 seconds) to my project. For some reason, even though I can see these are the clip lengths according to the timeline, on the timeline it says 01;15;02. When I export, the video plays for this amount of time (it lists the total time as 01;15;02). I've attached a screenshot below. Where is the :02 coming from and how to I get rid of it?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

One thing you are doing is using DropFrame timecode. Drop Frame keeps exact time to compensate for the fractional part of frame rates. I alway use Non-Drop frame timecode, as I don't need to get something say, exactly 30 minutes / 22 minutes etc.. and it's easier not to have to see the type thing you see. You can change that on the Sequence settings.

Also, you may have variable frame rate footage... that screws up a bunch of things.

You can use the free MediaInfo program to get info on your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you are doing is using DropFrame timecode. Drop Frame keeps exact time to compensate for the fractional part of frame rates. I alway use Non-Drop frame timecode, as I don't need to get something say, exactly 30 minutes / 22 minutes etc.. and it's easier not to have to see the type thing you see. You can change that on the Sequence settings.

Also, you may have variable frame rate footage... that screws up a bunch of things.

You can use the free MediaInfo program to get info on your clips. Get the program from the link below and using the 'Tree' view post a screenshot of your clip info: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually do need precise timing (or as precise as frames/sec can convert to) for presenting still images for a set period of time (e.g. 167.67ms, or 5 frames) for an experiment I am running. So I don't think using Non-dropcode would work for me. And my videos are actually clips I created from still images being presented for a certain number of frames in a longer sequence. 

I'll look into media tree; in the meantime, here is my screenshot for reference.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 3.16.35 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and:

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we see you sequence and project settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 frames does not tell how long each frame last. For instance if you have a 60 fps timeline those 5 frames go by rather quickly. (Do the math if you like) whereas if you have a 15fps timeline, each frame is displayed 4 time longer than the 60fps timeline. You can edit audio in Audio time units, but video is limited to frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed because in the source window the frames went from 00:29 to 1:00 this meant that there were 30frames/sec. Is this not right? It seems when I play back the videos and time them that 1:00 is 1 second. Here is an image of my source and project panels and also images of my sequence and project settings.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.05.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.05.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.06.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.07.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for all your input. Never mind about the 02 at the end of the video length; we decided it didn't matter for our purposes. I would be interested if what I said about frames is correct- that is, in the source window the frames are listed from 00;00;00 to 00;01.00, and the frame before 00;01;00 is 00;00;29, so I assumed that since the 00;01;00 is equal to 1 second (I've timed this) that the frame rate is 30fps? Does that sound right? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is right. 29.97 or 30.00 fps.

The info is available on the Sequence menu / Sequence Settings. Right at the top...

MyerPj_0-1611349806399.png

Like on your screenshot also. The drop frame timecode keeps track of the .97, wherease non-drop frame timecode just runs straight with no compensating drops of frame numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines