Extra frames when moving clips around

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been having this problem for while now that came after a few updated versions ago. When I have a timeline full of clips and I decide I want to move one clip to a new spot or switch it out for another clip, the other clip that is after it will have a few frames from the clip that was previously next to it at the beginning so I have to go in and trim a few frames off of each clip that is next to one that I moved and it is really starting to frustrate me as I can not figure out what the problem is. Anyone else have this problem?

Let me know if I did not explain well. It is a bit hard to explain.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Extra frames when moving clips around

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been having this problem for while now that came after a few updated versions ago. When I have a timeline full of clips and I decide I want to move one clip to a new spot or switch it out for another clip, the other clip that is after it will have a few frames from the clip that was previously next to it at the beginning so I have to go in and trim a few frames off of each clip that is next to one that I moved and it is really starting to frustrate me as I can not figure out what the problem is. Anyone else have this problem?

Let me know if I did not explain well. It is a bit hard to explain.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 27, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide details on the system you have and the source footage you're working with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing with many many clips usually all from the same camera. I just switched to windows but the same problem occurs when I use my old apple computer as well. Sony a9 shooting in mp4 as the a9 does not allow for picture profiles. I let adobe conform the sequence to the camera setting. Mostly dealing with mixed footage of both 24p and 120p, intermingling regular and off speed shots.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you cutting clips from one long file?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no I am cutting and using many different clips

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you "switching out clips"

1. Are you manually using in and out points and the dragging from source onto timeline window?

2. Are you doing a replace edit

3. Are you holding down a modifier key and bringing down the source clip onto the timeline to match the replaced one?

A lot of factors will cause the issue you are experiencing.

To me it sounds as though your source clip might be a few frames too short compared to the one you are replacing it with.

Are you seeing any lines at the end of the clip (almost like 45 degree angled grey lines?) These indicate short frames i.e insufficient media

Let us know

Mo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my general method is as follows:

I import all my shots for the project ( see system and camera details in response to BrandedChannels earlier comment)

And once I have sorted through and renamed them all I make my ins and out points and drag them right into the sequence and start arranging them all in the sequence.

After that I make changes, adding more clips, elongating and shortening clips, rearranging the clips already in the sequence. I am not seeing any grey lines or anything of the sort. And I am lengthening the source clips to the exact size of the area in the timeline.

What happens is lets say I have 2 shots that I put next to each other in my timeline and I decide that shot 1 needs to be changed a little bit or replaced with a different shot. If I make any changes to the clip or replace with a different shot, then clip 2 will be effected. And clip 2 as represented in the timeline will now have a few frames from clip 1 at the start of it that were not originally there or if I decide to shorten the end of clip 2 and make the beginning longer then a few frames from clip 1 will pop up in clip 2 where clip 1 and 2 originally were connected.

Once again really hard to explain but I hope that sheds more light

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seanwhitefilms,

And clip 2 as represented in the timeline will now have a few frames from clip 1 at the start of it that

"a few frames" or just 1 frame. Let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2019 0
Dec 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the Media Cache and Media Cache files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 27, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this before and it did not help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sometimes just one frame. sometimes it is two

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2019 0