Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extreme performance issues on High End PC

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

since I got my new PC I've always had a lot of performance issues in Premiere Pro/ After Effects but in the last weeks it got even worse. My playback is always pretty choppy and it often skips parts of the timeline. In a few projects there are even problems with exporting. Editing has become increasingly difficult for me and almost undoable. I don't know what to do anymore. Even on my old PC Premiere runs better, than on this one.

Hardware:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor

Geforce RTX 2080 Asus Advanced Evo

64 GB Ram

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F

1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

1TB SSD Leven JS600

(Footage I am mostly editing: 4K 10bit H.264 mov)

Does anyone have any idea, what the problem might be?

I am greatful for every answer.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers
Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter
•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
••for Premiere Pro and MAYBE Premiere Elements use the STUDIO driver, not the GAMING driver
•••such as https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/170344/

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer! Will definetly try these!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Footage I am mostly editing: 4K 10bit H.264 mov

10bit .. 4:2:0 or 4:2:2?  How many video tracks?  Timeline render bar, is it Yellow or Red?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4:2:2. Depends but it already starts lagging with just a few tracks. A friend of mine opened the same project with his laptop and didn't really have any major performance issues. 

The render bar in the timeline is mostly yellow and in some parts red. Sometimes if I want to prerender by pressing "Enter" it doesn't even work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was an Intel laptop it may have been using Quick Sync. Look at the specs on your friends laptop. The video below demonstrates what to look for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Sorry. Is Hardware Accelerated Decoding available in Preferences > Media? Enable that and restart the computer. See if that helps. The footage you are using is some of the most non-performant stuff around. If you can't get hardware acceleration working, definitely transcode the footage to an editing codec, like ProRes or Cineform. Please also make sure you have the latest NVIDIA Studio drivers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer and help! Hardware Accelerated Decoding was already enabled. I've also updated all my drivers and at the moment Premiere seems to be running ok. Still not great, but better than before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try dissabling the hardware acceleration and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines