Extremely slow playback, want to create proxies but of just a clip not an entire project source file

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once had a project with really slow playback so i exported it and imported it back, then it worked fine and i saw that i actually made a proxy somehow with the adobe encoder but this strategy isn't working with the current project I am working on. I am stuck. I have a 3080 graphics card with a great i9 processor, so my specs aren't the problem. I do understand h.264 is not great for what I am doing but I can't transcode it in less than hours. Shouldn't it be smooth with these specs??

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Extremely slow playback, want to create proxies but of just a clip not an entire project source file

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I once had a project with really slow playback so i exported it and imported it back, then it worked fine and i saw that i actually made a proxy somehow with the adobe encoder but this strategy isn't working with the current project I am working on. I am stuck. I have a 3080 graphics card with a great i9 processor, so my specs aren't the problem. I do understand h.264 is not great for what I am doing but I can't transcode it in less than hours. Shouldn't it be smooth with these specs??

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 06, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start the proxies being created. Go to bed, when you get up in the morning they will be done and you'll be on your way.

Otherwise, right-click the clip in the project and select the Proxy option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 0
Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. Different CPUs do better than others ... and some of the high-end ones don't handle H.264 as well as some of the lower end ones. They're all over the place. And how are you supposed to know that?

Plus other things matter a ton for best playback. It's still better to have multiple internal connected SSDs for best processing especially if you're using H.264 and/or heavy effects like Warp Stabilizer, Lumetri, and major resizing and time-ramps. Separating Os/programs, project, cache/database, and media files on different drives can help a ton.

I don't know why anyone would sit at a computer while t-codes are being made. Use MediaEncoder with a watch folder setup, or simply queue things over then, and have it run overnight or while you're at lunch.

And proxies are made in the background in Me while you work away in Premiere.

I know a lot of people thought we were going to get away from t-codes and proxies, but ain't happening. Just as the apps and computers seemed to catch up, the camera makers hit far higher compressions and more metadata-rich format/codec combinations while throwing in high K-counts.

I work with a lot of colorists based in Resolve or Baselight/whatever. Yea, much of their work involves knowing what their incredibly expensive hardware can handle 'natively' and when to t-code or proxy. And their machines cost several times what yours does.

I figure if someone with an $18,000 computer is doing t-codes & proxies, well ... ain't no shame there.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2021 1
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. How can I make just one clip in my timeline a proxy as opposed to the entire original footage? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2021 0
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because when I right clip the individual clip, proxy is grayed out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2021 0
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might need to delete the earlier made proxy file for the clip first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2021 0
MyerPj LATEST
Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you are right-clicking a video CLIP in the project. When doing so you will have the proxy menu other items (like a sequence) do not enable the proxy menu. Also, you do need to turn on the proxies using the Toggle Proxies button on the Program Monitor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 07, 2021 0