Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fade to black on still frame

Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I want to fade out whilst holding the last frame of a short video.

I've added a still frame at the end by Clip > Video Options > Insert Frame Hold Segment

I created a keyframe part way through the still frame segment and left the opacity at 100%, then created another keyframe just in from the end of still frame segment and set the opacity to 0%

As I drag the ¿¿scrubber?? across the still frame segment I can see the opacity (numbers in the effect controls panel) changes from 100 to 0% but the video image doesn't change in any way - it doesn't fade.

What am I doing wrong?

Adobe user since 1987 : Illustrator version 1.0.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

The film fade transition is one of Jim's own presets, hence you wont find it in the default Transitions.

Its either called Film Dissolve or Cross Dissolve.

Adding a fade is dropping/drag one of the Dissolve's on the end of a clip.

adding transition.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a Film Fade transition to the end of the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quick pointer on how to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly! What's the point of your answering my query?? Anyone can answer any query by pointing the person to Learn & Support! Is that why you're a level 8 contributor - you sit at your desk all day replying to queries with the Learn and Support link?

In response to your first "answer", I searched Learn and Support for "Film Fade transition", all I get is very general info on how to add a transition and I can't work it out. That's why I'm here - for help I can't get from Learn and Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The film fade transition is one of Jim's own presets, hence you wont find it in the default Transitions.

Its either called Film Dissolve or Cross Dissolve.

Adding a fade is dropping/drag one of the Dissolve's on the end of a clip.

adding transition.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its either called Film Dissolve

Ooops.  Sorry about that.  Got the name wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh oh we got a badass over here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of Frame Hold, take a Frame Grab with the camera icon and then import it and place it on the timeline and stretch it out to the desired length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant thanks!

A combination of Ann Bens and Peru Bob did the trick. For some reason dragging the transition over the still frame segment (the way I made it) does nothing - no fade. Using Peru Bob's technique to extend the last frame, it works perfectly.

Thanks.

K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This. Thank you. You just solved my problem! (and nearly 4 years ago.) Thanks, past you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is old but I found a solution for others. My frame hold segment would not let opacity be affected by keyframes just as described in this post. My frame hold was on a logo that over layed the scene that just comes out of animation so it really needed to be the frame hold so the transition would not look jerky. SOLUTION. Right click the frame hold and "create subsequence" then drag that in and create your keyframes etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines