Highlighted

FAQ: How to export in Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export settings in Premiere Pro can be a little overwhelming.

• Help documentation for Exporting from Premiere Pro is here.
  • Here are some short tutorials to help you post to the most popular platforms.

https://youtu.be/nogynEmPD_k

Details on video formatting for Youtube can also be found here in Google's help documentation.

Different formats that work for Facebook can be found here in their help documentation.

More details here on Instagram's requirements for posting video. 

Auto-reframe can save you lots of time when working with vertical video. More details here on Adobe's HelpX platform. 

H.264 formatted videos make for an easy delivery. They're quick to upload and compatible with all share services. 

Save your final projects in a high resolution so your portfolio stays crisp and clean. 

I hope this helps you get a better understanding on the export options available in Premiere Pro! For more details on file formats, go here

Caroline

Topics

FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FAQ: How to export in Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export settings in Premiere Pro can be a little overwhelming.

• Help documentation for Exporting from Premiere Pro is here.
  • Here are some short tutorials to help you post to the most popular platforms.

https://youtu.be/nogynEmPD_k

Details on video formatting for Youtube can also be found here in Google's help documentation.

Different formats that work for Facebook can be found here in their help documentation.

More details here on Instagram's requirements for posting video. 

Auto-reframe can save you lots of time when working with vertical video. More details here on Adobe's HelpX platform. 

H.264 formatted videos make for an easy delivery. They're quick to upload and compatible with all share services. 

Save your final projects in a high resolution so your portfolio stays crisp and clean. 

I hope this helps you get a better understanding on the export options available in Premiere Pro! For more details on file formats, go here

Caroline

Topics

FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have lately been having trouble when exporting my edited video to use for Youtube. I have tried (I think) everything! When I'm filming the video I film it in 1920x1080 at 16x9 ratio which is what Youtube asks for. I then import my videos into premiere pro cc, edit it all, then when exporting I have tried every setting I can think of but no matter what I do, when I upload to youtube it either puts black bars on the sides of my video or it zooms in just a tad. I have exported in h.264 by match source high brilliant, h.264 by youtube 1920x1080, as well as a few others! Can someone please tell me what export settings I should be using so that how it looks when I'm viewing it in premiere pro, is how it will look when viewed on Youtube! As well is there like a completely different setting that I'm just not thinking of that is causing this?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first advice is to know what you're doing.  If you've "tried everything", that implies that you don't know what you're doing and are taking shots in the dark.

You should remedy that.  Learn about codecs, frame rates, resolutions, pixel aspect ratios - all of it.  Know what you're doing.

Having said that, my second piece of advice is to export to DNxHD using the HQX preset.  The files are large, but I do find the results on YouTube better than H.264 uploads.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you be anymore condescending. That's the whole point in these forums. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of your export settings with left tab open to output with a visible image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is there any chance you might be able to help me too? I have been having a serious issue with washed out colors with the H264. Now I've found the solution with the NVIDIA control panel and that indeed made a complete difference. Now my exported files look as good as in PP, but when I upload them on YouTube however, they look bad again. So I upload a good-looking video, but somehow with the upload on YouTube the colors wash out and the quality looks super bad. How is that possible? Hopefully you can help me.

Kind Regards

Jolien

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 4.04.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-05 at 4.05.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-05 at 4.05.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-09-05 at 4.05.24 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your export shows black bars, so will Youtube.

Post a screenhot of the sequence settings

a screenhot of a clip in MediaInfo in treeview

and a screenshot of the interprete footage of one of the clips.

And is scale to framesize and set to framesize on or off?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the top should have black bars on the top and bottom (going for a more cinematic effect) but once I export the video and import it into youtube, it puts veritcal bars on the left and right side...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

post a link to the YT movie.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use the following settings when uploading to YouTube and haven't had a problem:

Format: H.264

Preset: Match Source - High Bitrate

1920x1080 (1.0)

VBR, 1 Pass, Target 10.00Mbps, Max 12.00Mbps

AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

If it's not a rush to get up, I also usually check "Use Maximum Render Quality".

Regarding the black bars, it's because the timeline is in a different ratio than the footage.  What I do when starting a project is opening one of the video files, right clicking and selecting, "New Sequence from Clip."  This ensures the timeline is exactly matched to the source footage, and you won't have black bars.

To fix the black bars now, here's what to do:

Right click on one of your original video clips, and select "Properties."  Check for the Image Size -- it should say 1920x1080 or similar.  Whatever it is, take note of it.

Now, right click on your sequence (as it appears in the Project Tab), and select "Sequence Settings."  Under Video, it will give you the frame size.  Match those numbers to the ones you just took from your clip, and you'll be golden.

Good luck, I hope that helped!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 1080p video I uploaded to facebook.  After about half a day worth of uploading, the results on facebook were atrocious.

It looked like an 8-color atari video, funny huh... well not really, literally.  I've actually never seen a look so bad in all of my facebook feeds.

I must be way off for export settings!

The original video was exported, optimized for YouTube settings.  Some literature I came across noted that anything optimized for YouTube, should be equally good for FaceBook.  I've not found that to be true.

The original video export from Premiere Pro CC was in mp4 format. It was approx. 7 minutes long and the total file size was approx. 800 MB.

The original media was 1080p video capture from a Canon 5D at 30 fps.

The main export settings used were (showing Video & Audio settings):

PP_Export-Settings-VIDEO.jpg

PP_Export-Settings-AUDIO.jpg

This is what I uploaded to facebook that looked like total poop.

I feel like I need to dumb it down in quality in order for facebook to minimize it's compression.

Is there some go-to export settings from Premiere Pro for best results on facebook?

It's odd that most peoples basic smartphone videos look 100x's better than a clean 1080p PP-CC export after facebook get's it's compressing hands on it!

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher M,

I have had pretty good success uploading ProRes 422 files up to Facebook. Have you tried that (or if on PC, try DNxHD/HR or Cineform)? Takes longer but with great results.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giving this a try...

I'm using the settings suggested in this video for ProRes settings:

Export ProRes 422 from Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 (Mac) - YouTube

I'll return with results,

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED (it seems)...

Worth a follow up... and thanks for the tip.

When I exported in PRO-RES, the final file size was 6.5GB (over the original 800 MB).

Solution could be 1 of 2 things I did.

1. I used Premiere Pro CC's preset export settings for "Facebook" which was a 720p HD, 30 fps.

2. On a desktop browser, in Facebook... I went to "SETTINGS" under the drop-down arrow on the top / search bar.

I selected "VIDEOS" (the last option from the menu on left of screen).

I changed the first setting under "Video Default Quality" from Default to "HD if Available"

I thought this setting only pertain to how other's videos load on your feed when browsing, though I've seen others refer to this change in order to upload in HD.  Not sue about that, but overall, this upload worked great, so it's worth noting.

The quality is a pristine HD (at 720p)... it's impressive actually, not even the slightest facebook compression noticed.

Also, worth noting, when I first uploaded it, I didn't publish right away... instead did a scheduled post so I could see it before it posted.

When it first uploaded and was waiting to be published, it looked terribly compressed.  I went back and checked it about an hour later and it looked superb.  I think there may be a delay in facebook's processing and player catching up to the full video file and quality vs. it being playable right away.  It seems like in the background, it took a little while for the full quality to catch up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but in Premiere CC you can publish your video directly to platforms such as Facebook, YouTube etc from the Export Settings.

Here's a free tutorial on how to optmise your video and also covers publishing your video to directly to social media.

Premiere Pro - Export Settings & Presets | The Learning

Hope somebody can fin this useful

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's many export options in the media export dropdown list.  Which one is best for Facebook.  My video is 1920x1080.  29 frames.  I'd like people to see it full screen on their cell phones.

HP, windows 10, intel i7, premiere pro cc

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found in 2 seconds using Google Video Views: Facebook Video | Facebook Ads Guide

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ofmice5,

There's many export options in the media export dropdown list.  Which one is best for Facebook.

This might help: Premiere Pro CC Export Settings for Facebook - YouTube

Thanks for your input John T Smith.

-Kulpreet Singh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post but Premiere CC allows you to publish your video directly to social media platforms such as YouTube, Facebook etc.

I actually have a free tutorial that explains how best to optimise your video and how to publish directly to these platforms.

Premiere Pro - Export Settings & Presets | The Learning

Hope this helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For free in my book is click on the link and play and not having to make an account first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you, so annoying!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John,

You may want to be so kind, next time, as to mention that your link may require membership and payment to access the info you're sharing. Just a thought.

Frederick Park

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I work lots of social media videos so I'd often export clips from Premiere to be used as Instagram Stories. I used to use the Android Tablet preset and just play with the sequence settings to export a video that would upload straight to Instagram as a story, but since the update I can't seem to export anything that uploads as an Instagram story. I've tried using the Mobile Device presets from the update. I've tried exactly replicating the old Android Tablet preset. But nothing seems to be working. I don't even know what the exact problem is. It just doesn't work any more.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggested solutions?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find out what the requirements for Instagram uploads are, and export same.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PaulK,

Check out these Sequence Settings. Export with Match Sequence Settings and H.264. Works great for my Instagram Stories.

Screenshot 2017-11-29 20.35.40.png

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in my case nothing works

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Echo.  Nothing works and I've tried everything I can find on the net to get it to work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I have been doing and looks great on my computer and phone until it has been uploaded to Instagram. Looks like instagram compresses it a lot and I have a huge amount of quality loss.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a solution. After selecting 'Match sequence settings' on export, also select medium quality as the target bitrate should be 3. I found this setting got me the best results

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the highst quality settings for delivering video to a client?

Is it worth using H265 (I see there is only a VBR 1-pass option)?

Ideally, I'd like to have an uncompressed (or at least 100% quality with a codec) for archives and a high quality, but smaller file size, to deliver.  They will be able to resize for YouTube, Facebook, etc.  The video will be 1080p.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For delivery specs it´s often best to ask the client. Different clients have different demands.

For archives, use DNxHD, CineForm or ProRes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They aren't video 'professionals', but someone would be uploading to YouTube/FB/etc., on their end (so maybe very, very basic video experience).  They would defer to my suggestion, or not ask, about the video settings.

I'd like to give them two versions - H.264 and something else just in case they have someone that can resize, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to give them two versions - H.264 and something else just in case they have someone that can resize, etc.

You can either give them two versions or just the master. H.264+master is imo the best option.

Try the H.264 setting gave you in his post abowe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So would you give them an uncompressed MOV for a master file?  I have no idea about what software or codecs they would have (and it's impossible to find out).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So would you give them an uncompressed MOV for a master file?  I have no idea about what software or codecs they would have (and it's impossible to find out).

No, uncompressed files are really huge so either ProRes, CineForm or DNxHD would do it. Those files are slightly compressed but visually lossless. Mind you that those files are huge as well, but not as huge as uncompressed. ProRes and DNxHD are among the most videspread video codecs around the world. CineForm never got the breaktrough it deserved.

Try it!

If they are having trouble watching the files, ask them to use Global Potplayer or VLC Player - https://www.videolan.org/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! 

I used to use Blackmagic's lossless codec, which was great, but then they made it a real inconvenience to install, making a ton of archived video almost useless. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Averdahl was saying, it depends on the clients' needs.

- First off, is the client another video production professional like yourself? Then likely the answer is (as Averdahl said) something like DNxHD/DNxHR, Cineform or ProRes.

- Are they NOT another video pro? Then probably something like H.264 with the Preset "Match Source - Adaptive High Bitrate."

- I'd be hesitant to select H.265 unless the end client asked for it as it's not toootttallly widespread yet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preference is for QuickTime as the Format and Cineform YUV 10 bit as the Preset.

Works as both a master and for getting the best results on YouTube.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines