Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Premiere Pro Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory and location

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory

Common question: Where do I place custom and third party LUTs?
You may have read on the internet that you can add LUTs to the Premiere Pro application folder. DO NOT DO THIS!

Though placing LUTs in folders in the app package can work for a single user within Premiere Pro, the workflow falls apart once you update Premiere Pro to a new version, share a project, or even send a sequence to Adobe Media Encoder.

Beginning in version 12.1.2, follow these instructions for installing custom LUT files and to have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel. You can also share the project and export in AME with this technique.

You can install custom LUT files and have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel. To install custom LUT files, create one or more of the directories listed below and then copy your custom LUT files to that folder.

Adobe Documentation: Install Custom LUT files

Custom LUT directories macOS Windows
Available only to the local user /Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Available to all users /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Premiere Pro scans the folders at launch and loads LUT files from these directories. LUTs in the Creative directories appear in the Creative Looks dropdown, and LUTs in the Technical directories appear in the Input LUT menu.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
Guide ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, projects require many different variations at the first stage, and it is not possible to choose from a dozen possible ones in this case. I also support the idea of extending the third-party LUT library. It would be extremely convenient. You cannot use the same Lut for different categories of projects. And this is the peculiarity of keeping many variations of third-party LUTs on board.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So have u had some solutions to the problem u're talking about @MDLA Films ? I'm in the same situation as you, and I need a way to handle this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. iMac 2015 vintage, OS10.13, PPro 2020.

I work on a lot of projects from various Disney O&Os. They're starting to get into some wicked cool new cam technology (like the Sony FS7), which make great looking pictures if you use the right LUT.

Unfortunately, they show up on my system minus the proper LUT (or even a note that a specific LUT was applied). Now that I understand what's going on (and assuming I survive the pandemic...), I'll ask for the LUTs in the future.

For the time being, I went to the Sony website and downloaded 4 general-purpose LUTs for the FS7. I followed the instructions below, creating a "LUTs/Technical" and a "LUTs/Creative" folder within the "Comon" folder; dropped the LUTs into the Technical folder; and VOILA!, they now appear in the "Basic" dropdown in Lumetri.

Score one for the home team!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there; 

as I understand this is the only proper thread about this topic; implying the need to be updated with every new version and update of the software. Sorry Kevin and Neil for the extra work.

Right now (Premiere ver. 14.6)  "LUTs" folder has two folders inside:  "Input" & "Output". Now I am wondering if the "Technical" & "Creative" should be added in one of those folders, or if we keep working with them in "Common". Or if "Input" is the new Technical & Creative. 

From the adobe help FAQ we still get the same info :
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/uk/premiere-pro/using/color-workflows.ug.htm...

WINDOWS
Available only to the local user:

• C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative
  • C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Available to all users:

• C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative
  • C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

So, any idea if those "Inputs" / "Outputs" have any change in the way of installing LUTs? 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That chart is still the only place users should add LUTs ... and it's great as it is referenced by Premiere Pro, AfterEffects, and MediaEncoder without the user having to do anything. And also, across new versions installed. They still go to that folder setup to 'see' LUTs.

So there is nothing to update ... period. If you're using the proper folder-tree, they are recognized by all versions of those apps.

As to the Input and Output folders, those don't have anything in them on my machine, and ... I don't have a clue what they would be for. They're not seemingly synced with the Basic and Creative tab folders. So ... ignore them.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, I hope you can help me - I recently downloaded some luts and tried to move it to the correct LUT directory. However, I can't find this location on my Mac. When I go into Application Support - Adobe - Common folders, I only see a Plugin folder with a subfolder that says 7.0, then another subfolder that says Media Core and a dummy txt. I know that I haven't moved around any of the folders so I'm not sure why it would be missing but hope you have a suggestion for me.

Thanks for your time - Kat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan is far more versed on Macs than I.

Have you tried adding the /LUTs folder, and subfolders for Technical and Creative?

That would give you the full folder tree for both Basic and Creative tabs to utilize. I know you have to at least always add the last pair, the Technical and Creative folders.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. So I did add the folders and the LUTS into the directory, but it still crashed unfortunately.  I will try to find more Adobe supported LUTS to get the effect I want to create. Thanks for the information though. It will be helpful in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i was looking for the same folders but also couldnt find them. 

Eventually after some folder digging i found it: Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro 2022\Lumetri\LUTs

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO NOT ADD LUTS TO THE PROGRAM/PACKAGE FILES LOCATIONS! EVER!

In this thread is a chart for where USER created/acquired LUTs should be stored for access. Use those locations. Never ever add anything to the program/package folders!

First, the LUTs that are shipped in the program/package folder are used via a "relative" link to their PLACE in the folder, in computer alpha/numeric sorting, NOT by their name! As you add LUTs there you absolutely ensure none of them are accessed when you expect them to be used.

Second, those folders are expected to be identical in contents in all three apps ... PrPro, Ae, and MediaEncoder. As the three apps ALL reference any LUT in the package/program folders by that relative link. So if you add a LUT to the Pr folder, then queue the export to Me, a different LUT will be used at export unless again the Me folders are exactly the same as the Pr folders.

And third, when you migrate to a new version as in 2021 to 2022, if you use the proper 'external' LUT storage/usage locations, all the new apps will immediately see and use the correct LUTs you've already stored on your computer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In version 21.1.2, I now don't see the Input and Output folders. Now everything fell into place. And you need to use the path that Kevin told you about. There is a screenshot in this post. To anyone who does not understand, read and install LUTs in the specified location. The only thing I would like Premiere to support a larger number of third-party installed LUTs for various projects with the ability to save folders with the names of these LUTs. Now all the LUTs are mixed and scattered in a chaotic order on the list. A complete mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the LUTS in these suggested location does not fix the problem of them being read out of order - not for me anyway. Everytime I add a new LUT it screws up my color correction on existing projects because it reads them in order, not by filename. The only fix for me is to give new LUTs a "Z" prefix to force them to show up last. This is a ridiculous workaround to have to use. Why doesn't the software just read the filename?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Putting in the folder chart shown above should load them by name ... it always has here, and I've never seen it not do so elsewhere . The behavior of seeing by location/order is specific to the "relative reference" process Premiere uses when reading the LUTs in the internal storage system in the Program/Package file locations. If you add ANYTHING to the Program/Package folder system, you would get exactly what you're describing.

I use a prefix system so due to the computerese alpha-numeric sorting, mine load before the included ones, and they always are shown in computer alpha-numeric order. I've got a screen-grab of how they appear in my Creative tab drop-down. Note, I've got the ones with prefixes showing first. And one I didn't add a prefix to, the Lott LUT, which is in my folder of LUTs as in the chart above in this thread ... but shown in the Creative tab drop-down list alphabetized mixed in with the included LUTs.

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Neil Creative Tab.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil - thanks for the reply. It's not a question of the LUTs loading - I have never had a problem with that even when I used to add them to the Program/Package folder. My problem is that when you add LUTs earlier in the list, everything after that gets bumped down, so if I have used a particlur LUT in a clip in a project, when I reopen that project a different LUT is now applied to that clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really should only happen if you've changed the installed LUTs list. It shouldn't happen with LUTs you've parked externally in the correct locations. So that behavior is puzzling.

I've never had that here. And I use this a lot.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem.

I open the project that it was with a especifict Lut and a reopened it is with another lut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having that issue, you put your LUTs where you never ever shoulda done so. You put them in the same folders with the Program/Package file LUTs that came with the program.

That location ... as you found ... is referenced in a "relative" fashion: as in "5th LUT down" when sorted in computer alpha-numeric order. And that folder tree is expected to be identical between Premiere Pro, AfterEffects, and MediaEncoder.

Where users are supposed to put LUTs for the programs to access in in a different place ... shown in the chart below. You add the Technical (Lumetri Basic tab input LUT) and Creative (Lumetri Creative tab LUT/Look input) folders in those locations, and park your LUTs accordingly.

Relaunch PrPro, and it will simply add those into the lists shown in the respective folders ... the Technical folder LUTs will appear alphanumerically in the Basic tab's Input LUT list, and the Creative folder in the Creative tab's list.

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil.

I think that the problen is that I could not find Custom LUT directory for macOS. 

In my machine, I have the next folders and I don't have the folder ''LUT'' and Creative and Technical neither.

/Library/Application Suppot/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins

Thank Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the folders then ... on Windows, we always have to make the Technical and Creative folders at that location.

If you need to make the LUTs folder there, do so ... then within it, the Technical and Creative.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and then what is here ??? I have already seen three places where you can put and where is the right one???

Screenshot 2021-11-14 012333.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As explained in the user manual, the Technical folder is where the Basic tab drop-down LUT slot pulls LUTs. The Creative folder is where the Creative tab of the Lumetri panel pulls LUTs from. And the "legacy" is for storage of older LUT not used anymore ... which I never use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's clear with these folders. There are three places where folders with the mention of LUT in the Premiere program are contained on the computer. If according to the picture you presented with the information of the folder structures and the location of the LUT, then it is much more correct to put the LUT so that both Pr and AE are picked up. WHICH WAY IS MORE CORRECT, SEE THE SCREENSHOTS

Screenshot 2021-11-14 132055.png

Screenshot 2021-11-14 132208.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither!

Never EVER EVER put your own LUTs in the program/package file locations. Period. You'll not find they get used as and when you expect that way, because those locations are ONLY used as a 'relative' location.

Meaning any LUT in the Program/Package files is chosen for use not by it's name, but by its place in the computer alpha-numeric sorting order. As in, the fifth LUT down.

If you add a LUT with say 01 as a prefix to the name in the Premiere program/package files folder, the program will now see that as LUT number 1. Every LUT in the folder is now shifted one relative position down. And NO LUT you've already applied from that list will be chosen correctly!

Plus, MediaEncoder will not see the LUT because you haven't also put it in the Me location.

Again, simply ... don't ever put files there.

Use the chart as shown. That process simply works, it's easy to track, and doesn't screw up anything you've already done.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand it completely now. Here is a screenshot provided by you, which indicates the location paths.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 211007.png

And here's mine.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 132055.png

What is the difference Neil? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

accordingly, you need to create two folders at the specified path. They are not there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines