Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Premiere Pro Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory and location

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumetri Color Custom LUT directory

Common question: Where do I place custom and third party LUTs?
You may have read on the internet that you can add LUTs to the Premiere Pro application folder. DO NOT DO THIS!

Though placing LUTs in folders in the app package can work for a single user within Premiere Pro, the workflow falls apart once you update Premiere Pro to a new version, share a project, or even send a sequence to Adobe Media Encoder.

Beginning in version 12.1.2, follow these instructions for installing custom LUT files and to have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel. You can also share the project and export in AME with this technique.

You can install custom LUT files and have them appear in the Lumetri Color panel. To install custom LUT files, create one or more of the directories listed below and then copy your custom LUT files to that folder.

Adobe Documentation: Install Custom LUT files

Custom LUT directories macOS Windows
Available only to the local user /Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Available to all users /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Creative

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Premiere Pro scans the folders at launch and loads LUT files from these directories. LUTs in the Creative directories appear in the Creative Looks dropdown, and LUTs in the Technical directories appear in the Input LUT menu.

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the correct folder-trees for both Mac and Windows.

Going through Finder or Explorer to get "there", for some users the LUTs folder isn't created by the application on installation. So you may or may not need to create the LUTs folder in each spot you use.

You DO have to create the Technical and Creative folders in those spots. Place your LUTs in the Technical folder for use in the Basic tab, or Creative folder for use in the Creative tab. IF you rename your LUTs by say adding a letter or number prefix, you can both see to it that YOUR LUTs show first in the lists, and even group your LUTs by type of look/effect or source.

On restarting Premiere after your LUTs are in place, they will now appear in the drop-down lists in the Basic and Creative tabs within Lumetri.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Thank you for the additional advice.
  • It appears that this information is not yet folded into the main documentation for Premiere Pro, yet there are a good number of people still placing LUTs incorrectly in the app package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes ... I know! Both here on this forum, on LIft/Gamma/Gain, and in conversations at NAB last week I talked with several people who were having issues ... and all were putting them in the program/package folder LUTs folders. Bad ... very bad ... sigh.

So thanks for making this thread here. I hope users find it and LEARN.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, after you create this Common Folder and add your technical and creative LUTs, how do you get After Effects to recognize it when you dynamically link a Premier Pro project?   This Common Folder method has never worked for me with the current versions and previous versions of Premier and AE.   And I have to manually re-link every clip I send over when opening.

I'm guessing that people are placing LUTs in the "wrong place" is because that's the only way to make the software work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puzzling ... my AfterEffects 'sees' and applies LUTs from those locations without issue ... as does MediaEncoder.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the location on my computer ...

Neil

LUTs on My Computer.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine are located on my Mac:  Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common LUTs

and if I open After Effects, all my LUTs are there...  If I open Premier Pro, all my LUTs are there..

If I open a new composition in After Effects FROM a clip in Premier Pro, I must go through each clip and tell it where the LUTs are located, even if it's the same LUT for multiple clips...  It's an annoying waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your full tree for say "Basic" tab Input slot would be LIbrary/Application Support/Adobe/Common/LUTs/Technical ... and just adding the Creative folder alongside the Technical one.

And of course, you did create the Technical and Creative folders there, and your LUTs are in their respective folders ... and it still ain't working.

That's ... a royal pain. On the following chart, there's a Mac OS option that isn't through the User tree, starts at the Library itself ... have you tried that?

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a Technical and a Creative Sub-folder in LUTs...  And they all show up just fine when opening a new document inside of either program in their respective drop down menus, they just seem to be lost when using dynamic linking

My current workaround is an alias to the LUTs folder on my desktop making it at least easier to navigate the many sub-folders to "find" the correct LUT in the open dialog box...  But there needs to be a better way.

Copying my LUTs files to the common folder for individual local user yielded the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should not be happening, wonder what the deal is. Most of the engineers of course work both sides of the aisle but in general, well ... they're Mac people. So they use this on their Macs all the time. I know a number of Ae wizzes that use this without issue ... who are also still on Macs.

Wes Howell​ or Kevin-Monahan​ ...  any ideas here? I'm stumped.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To confirm, this happens when sending content from Pr to AE and the LUT references are lost?

I have seen this mentioned before and this sounds like a bug to me.  I'll look into this and make sure it's logged internally.

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...  When you "create new AE composition from clip" in Pr, it first opens a dialog box to name the new composition, then it opens a second dialog box requesting where the LUT file is located and requires you to select the specific LUT you applied in Lumetri Color. (  For each clip you send to AE.  )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved? I'm still having the same issue described here by dan.harper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about starting a new thread? This one was actually on simply using the proper LUT location for working within Premiere.

As yours is a Premiere/Ae comp/dynamic link issue, let's get that started in a clean discussion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently they look like this on my Win 11.

Screenshot 2021-11-14 010304.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you manage to solve the problem in Win 11 where to find the creative and technical folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the subfolders don't exist there, as shown in the above post, create them.

Input for Project settings Input LUT use.

Technical for Lumetri's Basic tab Input LUT slot (not to be confused with the Project Input LUT ... sigh)

Creative for use with Lumetri's Creative tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, I don't understand, so create a creative folder in the input folder and upload your Februarys there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

In the LUTs folder, you create the Input, Technical, and Creative folders.

For use in the respective places, Project Input LUT, Basic tab Input LUT, and Creative tab Look slot.

Then put the LUTs in each folder you want to use in that location in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears there is a limit to how many LUTs that Premiere will display. I have a ton of luts and Premiere doesn't display them all. Only goes up to the K's, still got the rest of the alphabet to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Curious how many are in your folders?

Haven't heard of anyone maxing that before! How do you use all those?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always collecting free luts so I have quite a few. My library of creative LUTs is over 2000 (I know that's ridiculous) , and I have about 833 technical luts. I'm not sure what the max luts are, I also know this number is ridiculous, which is why I want adobe to create a Favorites for LUTs and a way better organizational structure for them. It's needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an amazing collection!

I just find it faster to grade than test a number of LUTs. Partly because it's so much faster with the Elements panel I have.

Everyone does it differently  ... oh. You might try having folders organized together and move them in or out of working folders as needed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines