• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Why can't I add video and audio transitions between clips?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been editing videos for my Uniersity and recently I have a problem that is making me lose my mind. When I'm trying to add a transition between clips the program does not let me and I don't know why. I can add them at the beggining or at the end of a clip, but not in between.

I really appreciate your help.

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , FAQ , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Is it two different clips or in the middle of the clip?

See here about handles:

https://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premiere/pro/transition/handles.html

and here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transition-overview-applying-transitions.html

If that is not the issue, please post a screenshot of your sequence:

attachment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

PS. With some transitions the program says that it is not possible to add that specific transition at the beggining of a clip. But the program doesn`t let me do that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Yep, most likely what Peru Bob has suggested. When you create a transition between two clips, there needs to be excess media ("handles") available to create the transition.

So even though you see an edit point in the middle of these two clips, the amount of media that's actually being utilized is shown on the tracks above.

PhillipJoseph_1-1601420423168.png

When you are trying to place a transition across two clips that do not have handles, such as in this photo below where you can see the little white start-of-media/end-of-me

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it two different clips or in the middle of the clip?

See here about handles:

https://www.mediacollege.com/adobe/premiere/pro/transition/handles.html

and here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transition-overview-applying-transitions.html

If that is not the issue, please post a screenshot of your sequence:

attachment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs between two different clips

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-29 at 5.58.36 PM.jpeg

This is what appears . I cannot locate it in the middle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. With some transitions the program says that it is not possible to add that specific transition at the beggining of a clip. But the program doesn`t let me do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, most likely what Peru Bob has suggested. When you create a transition between two clips, there needs to be excess media ("handles") available to create the transition.

So even though you see an edit point in the middle of these two clips, the amount of media that's actually being utilized is shown on the tracks above.

PhillipJoseph_1-1601420423168.png

When you are trying to place a transition across two clips that do not have handles, such as in this photo below where you can see the little white start-of-media/end-of-media triangles, you won't be able to do it. There's no extra media to create the transition.

PhillipJoseph_2-1601420645665.png

If you want to create handles between these clips, you'll need to trim from the clips to create them:

TransitionEx3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who anyone can see this.

This guys have just saved my life.

Thank you so much.

¡It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Superb explanation!

Thank You!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines