Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fast way to duplicate items on the timeline

Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fast way to duplicate items(Clips,Text,Images) on the timeline?  I'm thinking just like in Photoshop that you can simply select a layer and (Alt + Drag) to duplicate and place the new object into a new layer.  I would like to duplicate an item in the timeline but not necessarly place it on the same track all the time.  I have tried several combinations of Dragging the clip while holding different key combinations but all it does is actually moving the clip to the other track.

Please don't reply with the copying and pasting command.  Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Alt and drag the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.

(Since you said not to reply with C&P...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2010 Jan 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why the aversion to C&P too. Unlike a PS image, what you have here are Tracks, and Clips (actually "instances" of Clips), and not Layers. Yes, they do sorta' look alike, but they are very, very different. PS keystrokes, like Ctrl+J (Duplicate Layer) do not work here, because of the differences.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and Thanks for taking the time to take a look at my question.  The reason why Cut and Paste would not work for me is because C&P would always want to be pasted to the same track unless I manualy change the track.  Keystrokes would not be the best choice on this particular case as I would have to change the target track every time I'm going to paste.

I was simply hoping that there was such a feature just by dragging the clip on the timeline and making a copy of it just in Photoshop.  Yes I know that Photoshop and PPro are two different products but you can make the case that a track in a timeline could be compared to a layer in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get used to targeting tracks.

Even in PS you have to select a layer that you want to "edit"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was simply hoping that there was such a feature just by dragging the clip on the timeline and making a copy of it just in Photoshop.

OK, this might help. First, let's step back. What you have on the Timeline is an "instance" of the Clip from the Project Panel. You can have virtually unlimited instances of that Clip, and each can be exactly the same, or can be altered individually.

Now, if you want say Clip A to also appear on another Track, you can Dbl-click on that Clip in the Project Panel to get it opened in the Source Monitor. From there, you can just drag to the new Track, or can alter the In & Out Points (Trimming) and drag to that new Track. There is also a Trim Monitor, that will do similar, but you would still need to Target the desired Track, to use keyboard shortcuts, so be advised.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is a way, start a new timeline with the same settings as the footage you're working on, drag it into the preview window or the project window so you have two timelines open, select the slips you want to duplicate,  drag or control c and control v them on the new

timeline, (I know what you said but this will work) they appear on the new timeline, now drag them back to the timeline you want them on - voila.

I'm not sure this is good for the project, I was actually advised not to do this once, but have been doing it for years and it's always worked and not caused any problems.

Works great as a dump as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, cut and paste works fine too -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt and drag the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why was this (Alt and drag the clip) so difficult to suggest? This is the solution the OP (as well as myself) was looking for but it took several snide remarks, long winded responses, and years to get here. Is this a new feature or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it didn't exist back in 2010?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just in case any Mac users find this thread: it's "option" + drag to a new track.

-Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Mac user and have not been able to successfully duplicate a video track etc in Premier Pro, using the "OPTION" + drag to new track.  

When employing option + drag, the clip just moves to another track - no duplication occurs.  I am using the Premier CC, uptodate.  Plus using default keyboard layout.  Please help 🙂 Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kinda silly. But it only works if you hit option first then drag the clip, not the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh my god, I swear I would not have figured this out, I spent so much time doing it the other way around... Thank you so much for this, lol. It is really silly indeed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt>Drag doesn't work for me (Premiere Elements 15, WIndows 10).  There doesn't seem to be any combination of modifiers to produce copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines