• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request: Multiple Lines of Captions or Subtitles

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that could be done easily (although with the old clunky workflow) in the 14.9 version of the captions workflow, but which seems to be impossible in Premiere 15, is perhaps only of use to those of us working with transcriptions of multi-party conversations in video: namely to have multiple lines of captions/subtitles, probably placed differently on a single screen, representing the talk of multiple participants.  In vers. 14, since the captions are output into a project as simple video overlays, you can set these up as you need.  However, in the new, otherwise much better captions workflow of version 15, apparently only ONE caption line can be selected (and thus output)at a time, if I understand the system properly.  Why not add what should be the simple abiltiy to allow multiple simultaneous caption lines (which may be synchronized differently one from another).  It seems a pity to have to do what I have now done, namely keep a separate version or Premiere 14.9 available just to be able to do that with my previously multiple overlapping .srt files,.   

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, JB. You can make a feature request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro Hope the team can get that to you soon. In the meantime, I believe that you can use nesting to workaround the issue. Let's see if we can find a link for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See "Show Multiple Caption Tracks" in my post here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/workaround-nesting-to-apply-effect-controls-to-caption-t...

I hope we see additional features as you suggest. The old caption workflow allowed some workarounds, for example your situation.

You can still work around this using nesting.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions--I"ll try the nesting trick (which as I thought about it had seemed a reasonable option, just a bit of extra work).  It seems too bad to have to "work around," however, when all the necessary data are already there from the start of a project build, and thus just need to be rendered together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree.

In a recent search of uservoice fetures requests/bug fixes, I only found one that made this request. Upvote it:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42970134-multiple-caption-t...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upvoted. Thank you!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The nesting trick works perfectly--thanks, Stan--and for a limited number of synchronous subtitles it is not too onerous, and reaonably flexible since each nest can still be tweaked to produce the final desired result.  So, it should solve my immeidate problem while we wait for a more sensible fix. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Note that I just discovered a bug and added this to my post: For anyone using the transcription option - which is not yet available to all users. Nesting a sequence with captions created by the transcription option hangs PR. So, "don't do that" until it is fixed.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JB, if you have the time, please upvote the request. I see this is as a priority.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had already found and upvoted that request yesterday--not sure if I can do it again.To follow up on Stan's further bug report, I am not one of the people who is able to try out the automated transcription option (although I was pleased to see it announced), but the fact is, for the languages I routinely work with (mostly indigenous languages from various parts of the world), it seems verty unluikely that even Adobe would be in a position to offer much in the way of automatic speech recognition.  It is a curious bug, nonetheless, and it underscores the need to expand the new caption system.  The accessibility issue mentioned in the request/fix is important, as is the promise of more flexible inclusion in video of synchronized annotation and text made possible by the new caption workflow.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines