• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File format not supported / generic error importing/relin from External Drive (but not Hard Drive)!?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a project using stock footage downloaded from Videoblocks. 

I am able to import these files from my downloads folder directly into my project without issue.
But when I try import or relink the exact same footage from my external drive I get a 'File format not supported' or 'generic error'.

If I take that footage from my hard drive and bring it to my desktop, then I able to relink without error.

Both drives are NTFS formatted. This only occurs on certain files and not others.
It doesn't matter if it's .mp4s or .movs (I know these are wrappers not codecs so the issue could lie deeper).

Looking for a workaround as my internal drive storage space is very limited and would like to work from the external drive as much as possible.

TOPICS
Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the most recent version of Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it could be something with the external NTFS volume.  Have you run any drive diagnostics?  

You'll want to check the directory structure and the file structures, making any repairs if needed.

Also, what are you using to back up your internal and external drives?  Unless I have an IT person handling storage, I always make sure I have primary storage and back up storage that I clone to on a regular basis (usually nightly).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

maybe try to format the external as exFAT instead of NTFS.... see if that works better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines