• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File too big to manage

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a 2h30' footage in mp4 format, cutting and arranging pieces of it takes a toll on the computer, due to continuous decoding of the source file to viewable footage on the timeline. How can I make the whole process lighter? Maybe converting the mp4 source file to raw? I did it and the file was 264 GB, so it does not solve the problem.

Any suggestion? Thanks

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of disk are your footage and/or transcodes on?

If that disk is a spinning hard disk, there's your bottleneck. No spinning disk has ever had a simultaneous I/O throughput of more than about 75 MB/s. (Do not confuse this with the maximum sequential read or write speed, which is throughput in only one direction.)

Even a SATA SSD is being pushed to its simultaneous throughput limit with your particular footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe converting the mp4 source file to raw.

Raw what?

Convert to Prores/Cineform in smaller chuncks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines