Highlighted

FIXED issues with Lost Frames, and slow performance in 14.3 and Mac OS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

We've all seen the posts, and I've pulled my hair out more than once at how annoying things like the Lost Frame bug and stuttering timelines are. But I seem to have found a solution.

TL;DR - Turn off Spotlight or put your Adobe Media cache and Media drives into the Privacy Pane.

Details follow.

It appears OS 10.15 has changed something on Spotlight. 

I was having constant crashes, restart, multiple frame errors - pretty much everything that Premiere could throw. I cleared the cache, and went as far as to do a completely clean install (on a clean drive) to no avail.

Then as I was checking the web for possible solutions, I saw a post where someone mentioned that someone from Adobe "went in a changed some stuff with the cache". Hmmm...

I remembered seeing this sort of behaviour back in the early days of OS X as a result of Spotlight causing grief - as a matter of course I used to turn it off. More recent updates (as of 10.13) seemed to remove those issues, so Spotlight has been turned on, on my system. 

So, I deleted the cache folder and THEN... dragged that folder to the Privacy Pane in Spotlight. Did the same thing to my main work drives. And lo and behold, if Premiere didn't start acting like I remembered - almost zippy. Annoying pauses gone. Hit the space bar and wow! Playback. Almost no lost frame errors.

This has been the case for about two weeks now, so I think it may have some merit. 

For those unaware of the procedure.

Go to Apple -> System Prefernces. Click on the Spotlight Icon ( the magnifying glass). Under the Privacy Pane, drag the following to the pane. Your Adobe Media Cache (you can find the location in Premiere's preferences), plus any of your main media drives. 

You can also use software like Onyx to turn off Spotlight completely.

Easy to do and hopefully will help some folks.

Topics

Crash, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

FIXED issues with Lost Frames, and slow performance in 14.3 and Mac OS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

We've all seen the posts, and I've pulled my hair out more than once at how annoying things like the Lost Frame bug and stuttering timelines are. But I seem to have found a solution.

TL;DR - Turn off Spotlight or put your Adobe Media cache and Media drives into the Privacy Pane.

Details follow.

It appears OS 10.15 has changed something on Spotlight. 

I was having constant crashes, restart, multiple frame errors - pretty much everything that Premiere could throw. I cleared the cache, and went as far as to do a completely clean install (on a clean drive) to no avail.

Then as I was checking the web for possible solutions, I saw a post where someone mentioned that someone from Adobe "went in a changed some stuff with the cache". Hmmm...

I remembered seeing this sort of behaviour back in the early days of OS X as a result of Spotlight causing grief - as a matter of course I used to turn it off. More recent updates (as of 10.13) seemed to remove those issues, so Spotlight has been turned on, on my system. 

So, I deleted the cache folder and THEN... dragged that folder to the Privacy Pane in Spotlight. Did the same thing to my main work drives. And lo and behold, if Premiere didn't start acting like I remembered - almost zippy. Annoying pauses gone. Hit the space bar and wow! Playback. Almost no lost frame errors.

This has been the case for about two weeks now, so I think it may have some merit. 

For those unaware of the procedure.

Go to Apple -> System Prefernces. Click on the Spotlight Icon ( the magnifying glass). Under the Privacy Pane, drag the following to the pane. Your Adobe Media Cache (you can find the location in Premiere's preferences), plus any of your main media drives. 

You can also use software like Onyx to turn off Spotlight completely.

Easy to do and hopefully will help some folks.

Topics

Crash, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Have something to add?