Highlighted

Fixing stuttering and slow playback in Adobe Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the common issues is slow and stuttering playback. Here is a video by the inimitable Colin Smith about how to combat this issue:

• Addresses:
    • Premiere Pro Issues:
    • Issues with certain formats:
    • Issues with your system:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Fixing stuttering and slow playback in Adobe Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the common issues is slow and stuttering playback. Here is a video by the inimitable Colin Smith about how to combat this issue:

• Addresses:
    • Premiere Pro Issues:
    • Issues with certain formats:
    • Issues with your system:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 21, 2019 3
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this video help you solve any of your issues? Let us know!

If you are still having performance issues, your media is probably too heavy for your computer.

For example, 4K Long GOP media from your phone needs additional handling in order to edit with it smoothly in most cases.
In that case you'll need to do one of the following:

• Copy (or transcode) the footage to ProRes, GoPro Cineform, or DNxHD/HR
      1. What's good:
        • Easier to playback than Long GOP media (but not as easy as lighter weight proxies).
        • Allows implementation of the "smart rendering" workflow—allows for lightning fast renders.
      2. Things to note:
        • Temporarily takes up a great deal of storage
          • These intermediate files can be immediately deleted after the project is complete
        • It takes time to render previews for any effects that are applied
          • Note: if computer GPU is underpowered, render small sections of the sequence incrementally
    • Use the proxy workflow
      1. What you'd like about this workflow:
        • Much easier to playback than Long GOP media (and even easier than 4K ProRes at 1/2 res or the like)
        • Ideal for laptops and lower powered computers
          • Exception:
            • H.264 presets
            • They are of a small file size, but are not very performant

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2019 3
Engaged ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused. If this video is about fixing stuttering, why does all the video in Colin's program monitor look like it's dropping frames anyhow—even when the light is green and it's supposed to be an example of smooth playback? From the guy walking through the alley to the waves, nothing is smooth.

Is it an effect? Or his poor screen capture software?

Otherwise, I watch his videos all the time and they are helpful. This one's just a mystery.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2019 2
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will let him know, BNC10. Maybe a bad BNC cable? Who knows. 🙂 ^KM

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2019 0
Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Appreciate the video, BUT I did NOT have to do any of this in Adobe Premiere CC 2017.  Adobe can't honestly say they are making progress in 2018, 2019 when their 2017 product performs better with MP4 files.

More things to note, media encoder frequently doesn't complete ... gets to 99% and just stops.  Incredibly annoying when working processing has been going for 5 hrs ... only way out is to end task via Task Manager, not acceptable for a product claiming to be "professional".  Adobe's stop button does NOTHING, bring up a message of "are you sure" and then nothing, eventually get a "Not responding" ... what's the point in having a cancel/stop button if it actually doesn't work?

ProRes, GoPro Cineform, DNxHD/HR (which is 1080p only) generate files that are 20X to 30X larger than my source MP4 file, so a 2GB MP4 gets converted to 40-60GB MOV ... is Adobe honestly trying to suggest this is acceptable for professional workflow?

Proxy, like you say, requires management, again, time I don't have ... I get paid to produce content NOT to work around problems in editing software ... problems that don't exist in CC 2017.  Sooooo ...

I know you are just trying to help people out, but we professionals really want to know WHY?  What did Adobe do to CC 2018 and CC 2019 that broke it performance?  These issues don't exist in CC 2017 using the EXACT same MP4 files, I mean exactly the same, so clearly some development decision was made that IS/WAS a bad for performance ... it baffles me that Adove refuse to address the problem.

These work arounds ARE NOT solutions.  I expect more for my years of paying monthly fees for software that keeps getting worse on the performance front.  So what's the real problem Adobe?  Stop the insanity and please be transparent, MP4 used to work just fine in CC 2017, now they don't.

Rob.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2019 6
Advocate ,
Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Rob.  Using Pr 2019 with 4K MP4 files is just obnoxious now and it didn't used to be on my same rig.  Clearly something has changed; be it with Windows 10 or with Pr.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 20, 2019 3
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a 2018 MacBook Pro with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB of DDR4, and even have an optional Radeon Pro WX 9100 16 GB graphics card in separate casing. This thing should be able to process anything I want to do in Premiere Pro. However, my 4K playback stutters, audio drops out, the app freezes, etc. no matter which graphics option or renderer I select. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have mp4s or movs, drop my playback down to 1/4, I get the same result. I feel like working with 4K a while ago on an older version of PP and an older machine was a smoother experience. Why is the app under-performing so much now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ALL,

After providing Adobe with my projects, dump files, source files (MP4 H.264), I'm happy to report that the latest updates to PP 2019 and new PP 2020 have completely solved the performance problems.

I can now happily edit MP4 H.264 sources from nVidia GFE, Magewell 4K capture cards, GoPro, and Sony ... no more stutters, no more pauses, no more "frozen" interface, no more Proxies, no more converting to ProRes.

Finally my PP 2019 and 2020 are working as fast as PP 2017.  

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/fixed-issues.html

It took 2 years, but Adobe finally got around to it!!

Cheers, Rob.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear, Rob!

The fact that it took two years is crazy. 

Hope it will continue to work smooth for you, although I wouldn't bet on it. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 13, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so ridiculous. Your sofware has become so bad, it feels more like the day after the premiere. You need to be rebuild it from the ground up instead of asking people to jump through all these hoops to have your software work.

I've been a long time user, but over the past few years, performance kept getting worse. In fact, I accepted it as normal behaviour and even questioned my 2018 MacBook Pro.

After dealing with a lot of frustration during an edit last week, I made a drastic switch to DaVinci Resolve, which I had heard people talk about before, but I never used the software myself.
Within ten minutes I was up and runningl; blown away by it's performance. The speed of the interface is amazing, there's no need to work with proxy files anymore, and playback (even with heavy grading applied), is instant and smooth. It feels like my Mac just got a serious upgrade.

I'm a big fan of Adobe CC, and for now will continue to use it's other software. But untill Premiere gets a full refresh, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2019 3
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when premiere 2021 released we will see posts about workaround of opening new project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2019 3
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've finally fixed my problem. If you get decent performance after a clean OS installation, then you might want to avoid installing what causes performance slowdown. Having a RAID of drives or M.2 to playback your footage is one thing, avoiding installation of Realtek audio drivers is another (yes, I've spent 2 years only to realize they were ruining second monitor playback and general performances on Windows 10)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just starting a new project. Huge problems getting rendered footage to playback smoothly so I cant make edit decisions or lip sync (music video) Have been told about proxies. Under a timeline that doesnt allow for learning that. I think I am going to have to exit this software and do my project in FCP now. I have both...just got the new Premier. I know my computer is old (2015 Mac book pro) and it's not rated for the graphics i am trying to deal with but I am in a location where buying a new mac is not an option and I think my Final Cut will handle it....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beleive it or not there are many things that can effect playback when using Preiere Pro. Quick Sync, CUDA Open CL and ASIO etc. It takes a while to get Premiere Pro tweaked out 100% as seen in the video below.

This video tutorial show the best setting for Premiere Pro on Mac and PC including CUDA, Open CL., Quick Sync and ASIO.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 28, 2020 0
John5FFD LATEST
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I may be the only person in the world with this issue but I eventually figured out that my playback was laggy because the default audio input was wrong. I went to Edit --> Preferences --> Audio Hardware --> Default Input. The default input was the mic on my ancient webcam from like 8 years ago. I switched it to a more modern microphone and the playback improved a lot. I assume switching it to be nothing would have worked to (I'm not using the audio input for anything) but I didn't confirm that.

Regards,

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0