Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flickering footage in Premiere Pro CC 2014 but not in Premiere Pro CC 2013

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've been having repeated issues with Premiere Pro CC 2014 on Windows. Basically my footage has a weird strobe/flicker when in the suite and when rendered off even although the footage looks fine, unaltered out of the camera. I rendered off the same footage in the 2013 edition of the software and there is no flicker/strobing going on. I've included one of the worst effected shots in CC 2014 and CC 2013 for comparison.I also experience graphical glitches occasionally when rendering. Please watch below:

Premiere Pro CC 2014 - strobing (300% speed, cropped 15%, RGB curve adjustment, software rendered)

YouTube

Premiere Pro CC 2013 - strobing (300% speed, cropped 15%, RGB curve adjustment, software rendered)

Premiere Pro CC 2013 - no flickering - YouTube

The footage was shot on a Nikon D3200 at 1080p 25fps, aperture 3.5, shutter 1/50, ISO 400.

Editing on a

Dell Optiplex 9020

Intel i5-4570 3.2 Ghz

4 gb Ram

Intel HD Graphics 4600

Windows 7

Has anyone else experienced this issue? My suspicion is an issue with either my graphics card or insufficient RAM.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 127 Replies 127
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flicker appears solely the fault of Premiere Pro CC 2014.2. Tested on different computers. Used as nVidia Quadro and GeForce GTX770. Drivers were different. Everywhere equally evident flicker. Incidentally, it defies logic and may occur at different film pieces. If re-render that flicker may occur on another spot in the video. It can occur even in the parts without filters !!!

When waiting for fixes this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now that you mentioned it I also updated to 2014.2 from 2014.1. I thought it was only warp stabilized clips who flickered but today I got a clip totally without effects on with flickering. Geforce 750TI, newest drivers and windows 8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ver 2014.2 - win 7 - intel i7-4770 - gtx 770 - flicker!

ver 2014.2 - win 7 - intel i7-2700K - quadro 2000 - flicker!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution (at this point that I'm aware of) for those that CANNOT utilize the MERCURY PLAYBACK ENGINE is to re-install PP CC before they upgraded things to PP CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MERCURY PLAYBACK ENGINE work fine! But still flickering in preview and render

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flickering or strobing - flicker error cc2014 XX2 - YouTube‌

Adobe, Please How Resolve This Problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has a solution been found for this problem? I experience it only when I try to use the adjustment layer feature. If I apply a color correction to an adjustment layer, my footage flickers. Apply the same effect to the clip itself and no flicker. Obviously this isn't the end of the world for me, but it's really disappointing - I had high hopes for saving tons of time with  the adjustment layer feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deeder,

Sorry that you are experiencing this bug. We have assigned the highest priority to this issue and are working on a fix right now. The workaround for now is to apply effects directly to clips instead of using Adjustment Layers. I hope that will be OK until we implement a fix.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, Kevin. Like I said - not the end of the world, just a bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deeder,

I spoke with engineering and they said that effects in the "Adjust" category can cause flicker with the default settings. Which "color correction" effects did you use, precisely? Also, can you tell me more about your Computer, OS, GPU, and media?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me on this - I will reply in full soon - utterly buried and under deadline right now. Thanks,

Deeder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Same problem. Multiple work stations. Would love to see some progress on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are waiting for new update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexei,

Can you upload a project exhibiting this behavior to DropBox? No media is needed. We can set it up via PM.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Send a link to DropBox. See inbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2015 Mar 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Alexei.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin

What else can I help? I am very interested in finding a way out of the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had same problem,   only solution i could find was reverting to older version of PP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this thread has been going on for so long and there's no fix. I'm not here to unjustly whine...but seriously Adobe, when we hired a third person and upgraded to CC we find out that with the latest versions we can barely render client work. I have read SO many of these threads, it's seems platform independent, video card independent and so on...it seems the only consistency is that it's Adobe software.

So rather than go into a long list of what I have tried, my system specs, what the possible fixes I could try are (when none of them work - obviously why this thread still exists) and keeping fingers crossed after spending hours trying to beta test what it supposed to be working version - so we can render on deadline and NOT lose a client - how about a serious effort to fix this? I mean for real. It's great that Adobe responds with the intention of help, but there's a lot of people paying for flawed software and there seems to be no end to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2015 Mar 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^This.  Seriously, is this going anywhere?  The workaround I've found is to manually re-conform the entire project in After Effects and export from there, which is obviously not a real solution.  I have to update a project from last month, and I was sure there would be a fix by now!  Imagine my surprise. 

This is an all-graphics project, meaning there is no camera footage to blame, no color correction, etc.. I'm using a brand new factory spec MacBook Pro, so hardly a unique hardware setup.

The inability export any video from Premiere makes it completely useless as a video editing tool, professional or otherwise. Oh god, do I have to give FCP7 another chance??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I can't believe this thread has been going on for so long and there's no fix. I'm not here to unjustly whine...but seriously Adobe

It's hard to reproduce. You have to have the right system, the right effects, apply them in a certain way, etc. We do finally have a project that reproduces the issue and it's been added to the bug.

It's on my list of top issues and engineering is focusing on a fix.

So rather than go into a long list of what I have tried, my system specs, what the possible fixes I could try are (when none of them work - obviously why this thread still exists) and keeping fingers crossed after spending hours trying to beta test what it supposed to be working version - so we can render on deadline and NOT lose a client.

There are a number of workarounds people have found. The biggest one is to avoid adding color correction effects on adjustment layers. Have you tried that?

how about a serious effort to fix this?

I mentioned that we do have a project showing the behavior, so engineering has something to test. That's a good thing. My participation on this thread, I hope, shows good faith in that we are not avoiding the issue. We have been collecting information and trying to find a fix all along.

I mean for real. It's great that Adobe responds with the intention of help, but there's a lot of people paying for flawed software and there seems to be no end to this.

Have you filed a bug report yet? Even though it is a top issue for me, the more bug reports that are submitted by users, the more likely an issue will get priority for a fix. If everyone on this thread took the time to do so, it would help immensely.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin,

I appreciate the response and I mostly wanted to highlight the severity of this problem by my message (I was surprised I was caught by this bug - and how much was already documented about it - as well the frequent crashes of any CC application upon initial start up.

As far as the flicker issue, until I figured a workaround my rendering was basically crippled. My workaround (short of crash coursing myself in DaVinci which is still on the table if my current solution fails) was to crash course myself in Speedgrade - learning literally on deadline since the flicker issue came out of nowhere.

So it seems like if I don't apply any effects in Premiere, and then do the color work in Speedgrade, I can render with no issues (so far that solution has worked for about 80 minutes of footage which is a good as sign as to workaround).

For me the this may be a permanent workflow since the Premiere color work degraded the final image quality quite a bit when compared to working in Speedgrade. It's something I didn't realize (the degradation) until I started working in SG and saw the results.

But it still is necessary to have a quick color/effect solution for review copies that can be accomplished in Premiere.

As far as my fixes, I have tried pretty much everything that has been written as suggestions - and having adjustment layers (or not) didn't affect the outcome. Any correction, even if applied directly to the clip randomly caused the flicker.

Something I did notice was by clicking the FX disabling it and then re-enabling sometimes helped clear the flicker. But it was also a random and couldn't be repeated. Not sure if that helps but it's something I noticed.

Where exactly do I file a bug report? I'll gladly contribute info due to the severity of this problem.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that I can successfully export my whole timeline as a .png sequence, export the audio separately, then put it all back together in After Effects and render a Quicktime without the flickering.  It's a ridiculous workaround and a huge pain in the neck, but hopefully it helps if you're in a jam with a client or a deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the status update on this guys... Seriously this is a huge issue and because i can't get my project backwards exported to older versions i'm stuck at this point. My suggestion would be to tell your dev teams to drop all new features until they fix this problem. I want to send adobe a bill for the time its taken me to spend jacking around with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CrossHatchFlashing.jpg

I too have a strange flashing when I render a video. I am not sure how hard it is to see here, but it seems like a criss-cross flashing on my video. Seriously frustrating, especially when I need to render this film for a short film competition that begins in three days. Can you please help us understand what's with the flickering please?

System Specs:
GeForce GTX 970

Intel Core I7 - 920@ 2.67Ghz

2 - Samsung SSD Evo 1 TB Hard Drives running OS and Adobe Products

Windows 7 Ultimate

Current Geforce Driver Nvidia: 347.88

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines