Highlighted

Floor noise is below - 60 dB until I adjust for RMS and Peak

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get my recordings to meet ACX standards without success despite trying everything suggested in the community forum. I recorded my floor noise and it is very clean - below -60 dB. However, after I record and run the Match Loudness, my stats for ACX look much better but the floor noise suddenly is popping up into the -50's to -40's dB. I try denoise and that does not fix it. See my screenshots for before and afters. Has anyone else had a great base floor of -60 dB then made adjustments to meet the Peak and RMS for ACX only to have their floor noise go haywire? HELP

adobe audition room .png

Baseline floor stats

floor noise pre any adjustments post punch and roll insert of recording into room recording.png

 Punched and rolled voice into the baseline floor recording

1st settings match loudness.png

First settings I used to match the loudness to meet ACX standards

post run of first loudness match floor noise.png

As you can see the floor dB was hitting the -40s after the adjustment and denoised it as well. 

settting for second loud match.png

I then tried these settings after resetting back to the original track

floor noise post second loudness match run.png

 Results after application of the setting Match loudness and denoising. As you can see the floor is still too high. 

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Floor noise is below - 60 dB until I adjust for RMS and Peak

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get my recordings to meet ACX standards without success despite trying everything suggested in the community forum. I recorded my floor noise and it is very clean - below -60 dB. However, after I record and run the Match Loudness, my stats for ACX look much better but the floor noise suddenly is popping up into the -50's to -40's dB. I try denoise and that does not fix it. See my screenshots for before and afters. Has anyone else had a great base floor of -60 dB then made adjustments to meet the Peak and RMS for ACX only to have their floor noise go haywire? HELP

adobe audition room .png

Baseline floor stats

floor noise pre any adjustments post punch and roll insert of recording into room recording.png

 Punched and rolled voice into the baseline floor recording

1st settings match loudness.png

First settings I used to match the loudness to meet ACX standards

post run of first loudness match floor noise.png

As you can see the floor dB was hitting the -40s after the adjustment and denoised it as well. 

settting for second loud match.png

I then tried these settings after resetting back to the original track

floor noise post second loudness match run.png

 Results after application of the setting Match loudness and denoising. As you can see the floor is still too high. 

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this stupid forum UI has a place that says "attach files" ... but please! ... drag/drop your images directly onto your text reply area so they appear in your reply. For anyone to help you, they'd have what ... seven unknown files to download to their computer?

Use the "more" options at the bottom of your post to edit the post, and move the images directly into your post, please!

Neil

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very valid point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blast this darn forum software ... sheesh.

It's only showing the main part of your images, not the side-ways part that would show the floor stats.

Have you tried using a gate to cut off below X dB?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no but I am embarrassed to say I don’t know what that is but I can search
it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Audio/Amplitude and Compression/Dynamics effect has a Gate on the left side. The other two tools of that are Compressor and Expander. It's a very useful tool.

You set the Threshold for the dB level you want to cut below, and of course the typical attack, release, and hold controls.

Neil

Dynamics Gate Compression Expander.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
salvo34 LATEST
Advocate ,
Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting post... sounds like Neils fix would work. just chop off the gain sorta at the lowest level ?

I'm a retired film worker (crew) and the sound mixer on set used to record what was called Room Tone for about 30 seconds. Everyone had to be more quiet than a mouse during that time.

Is that what you mean by Floor Noise ?

Basically actors were yappin on the set during their scenes, and the room tone was to clean up that sound.

Like, if some light was buzzing or an AC unit could be heard... that would be recorded as Room Tone.

That room tone ONLY appilied to the dialogue of actors sound recording... nothing to do with music or other stuff added in Post (editing ).

Sooooo, ( and I have done it with an exterior shot due to some stupid giant AC unit on a building roof nearby my actors ) ... audition has a thing where you can take the room tone and CANCEL JUST that out.

Just for the dialogue.  The only 'matching loudness' I've ever done ( between music and effects and dialogue ) which had NOTHING to do with room tone, was using keyframes and dragging the audio volume up and down to match the DB I wanted for that area... so I don't know nothin about your automatic solution of 'matching loudness'.

Good luck

🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines