• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footage going out of sync with external audio in Premiere Pro.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys

I've started doing some live recording with my band and I'm really struggling to get the audio and video in sync inside Premiere. We filmed with 4 x A79 apeman cameras (go pro knock offs) and recorded audio with a bunch of microphones in the practice space going through an audio interface then into a computer. When I try to match the audio and video up in premiere it stays pefectly in sync for a few minutes and then gradually starts to loose its synchronisation. This also happens in different video editors not just premiere pro. Its very strange as I've never had this happen before when I've editing music videos with different cameras in the past. 

I thought it could be a variable frame rate issue but I've got all the cameras fixed to 29.7 FPS at 2.7k. The only this that is switched on on  is the image stabalizaton. Has this happened to anyone before? Help! 

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Import , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the camera to a certain framerate is no guarantee its not VFR.

Did you check the file with Mediainfo if its really constant framerate?

MediaInfo

Post screenshot in treeview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I think it looks okay? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post in treeview or text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I have no idea what that means. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use MediaInfo, you can post results here. That will hopefully tell us more.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please see attatchment:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1625078716810.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see sorry, please see this attatchment: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that this camera does not shoot at 24fps. This is a real shame, as that s the only truly global frame rate if you want to go anywhere near Optical discs.

That said, I think your problem is that according to the UK Apeman website, it doesn't actually shoot at 29.97 in 2.7K at all - it's at 30fps, and this could be your problem right there and the longer the clip the further the sync will drop. Is this what is actually happpening?

If this is the case, try scrapping the entire sequence you already have & create a new one at 30fps & please let us know if this improves the situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I think so yes! It starts off fine and then gradually gets more and more out of sync. Thanks for your advice but I'm really struggling to find a sequence in premiere pro 2021 that lets you set it 30fps? It seems all frame rates are available besides that one... I've tried reencoding the file as 30fps in media encoder but the same thing happens.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE I've just managed to create a sequence for DSLR cameras at 30fps, imported video and audio, match them up and its made the out of sync happen even earlier and more obviously... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recording with various devices is always an issue ... no two devices will keep identical time, period. Pro work typically involves "jammed" time sync ... having a time sync generator device that sends a signal to all cameras/sound equipment that is recorded as part of their recording process.

Then in post production, they are joined using the time sync generated signal.

Without that, we frequently need to adjust time rates manually ... and yea, it's a fiddly pain, but do-able. Pick one source as your main. For all other sources, adjust the duration of them in small increments plus/minus until they match at the end of the sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Neil, I never knew it was something to be expected. A year ago I recorded some videos and we were using four different digital cameras in video mode and never had an issue syncing them up to the audio, and they were old cameras!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil are you referring to syncing up multiple cameras of one source? As matching the cameras doesn't seem to be a problem, its more the matching of any camera against the audio, I can get it perfectly in sync but then after a few minutes it slowly drifts out... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was the audio recorded, and to what format please?

I am beginning to get a horrible feeling the audio is a lossy stream, perhaps?

Also - just for the info - what is the bit depth & sample rate of the audio and what are the sequence settings please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I'm recording audio at 48k 24 bit and bouncing down to import into premiere pro exactly the same. I'd never touched the sequence settings just put video and audio in the timeline which auto creates a new squence. As another user suggested I did create a new sequence at 30fps and it just made the problem worse. I'm not sure how I could possibly know the best sequence for my camera. doesn't it just create a new sequence applicable to the files when you put media in the timeline?

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines