• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Footage turns washed out when Lumetri is applied.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm editing in Premiere Pro CC 2018 and for some reason, my footage becomes washed out as soon as I adjust curves in Lumetri Color.

BEFORE I ADJUST ANYTHING:

problem1.JPG

AFTER ONE CLICK ON THE CURVES:

problem2.JPG

Would appreciate any help available thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please specify more ?

was that an old project you were working on from a previous version ?

Did you apply any LUTs from the Creative panel ? What other effects

or Lumetri adjustments did you apply ?

Did you try applying the curves on an adjustment layer rather than on the clip itself ? What happens ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a new project that I'm working on. On my timeline, I have my raw footage and an adjustment layer on top.

I colour corrected my raw footage using Lumetri under the "Color" tab, and placed a LUT through Lumetri color on the adjustment layer. The problem occurs whenever I make exposure changes on my adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2018 Jun 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce this here in version 12.1.1 on Windows 10 Pro (1709).

What happens if you make those changes to the clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you solved this issue yet, Jake Low? It looks as though you have the wrong luma range set. What happens with another LUT?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, Couldn't fix it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem for quite some time now and I just updated Premiere Pro and I'm still having the same problem.  A work around that I've been doing is to apply the LUT in the Creative tab on an Adjustment Layer and only adjust the intensity of the LUT, than create a separate Adjustment Layer above that and apply your creative, curves, hsl, color edit, etc. to that adjustment layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue in 2020 it's sad. Premier is so buggy after all these years. You have to reset the program to loose the washed out look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED

i've been having a similar issue also! Whenever i apply the creative LUTS from Lumetri, the entire video becomes bleached. 

what worked for me was I would "nest" the clip (control + click, select nest), and bleaching would stop when i applied LUTS from Lumetri.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still F🤬ng happening to me and even after all their amazing updates😤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this same problem as well. 

Ive noticed when I toggle proxies on/off, my proxy footage is correct and when I turn off proxies its washed out again.

Any developments on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue that seems very dependent on "local" workflow and processes. I've never had this nor been able to replicate it.

What has been common is that it's either a LUT being applied or there's a video driver issue. The later is certainly easy to check ... go to the project settings dialog, set Mercury Acceleration to software only. If it behaves properly, you've got an issue with the video driver.

If that doesn't fix it, it's typically a LUT application issue. So ... are you using any LUTs, if so, ones bilt into the app or ones you've created or acquired?

If created/acquired, where are you storing and accessing them on your computer?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im storing everything (footage, My custom luts, And the project) on my
external SSD. Its doing it with every project now and just on this specific
computer. I opened the project on my laptop and everything works fine. Both
computers are Macs.

I uninstalled and reinstalled premiere and it didn't fix the issue. and i
did check and it's not the Video driver.

--
Adam Lora
Film & Photography
www.adamlora.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your original media? What is your proxies, and were they made elsewhere or by PrPro?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over 4 years later and this problem still exists! 

Was a solution found? It is driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a common thing, btw ... so we need a bit of data to figure out what's going on in your system.

What's your media ... what camera, what format/codec? Is it SDR/Rec.709, or HDR, such as iPhone's HLG?

Is it only when you apply a curves effect in Lumetri, as the original post said? Or ... exactly when and how does it lose quality, and in what way?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well. Never seen it before. It still occurs with the renderer set to software only.

Shot on Canon C200 (FHD, C-Log 3, ProRes 422 10-bit) and EOS R (4K, C-Log, ProRes 422 8-bit)

All recorded externally on Ninja V

Original media - no proxies

I have a basic LUT applied to convert the footage to Rec709. The error occurs when I have both a Creative LUT and Curves applied. It happens with any LUT - built-in or purchased - and any amount of curves - even a minor adjustment. If I disable either one, the issue goes away, and the footage looks fine. It seems to be lifting the shadows, and shifting the footage away from magenta. Nothing clips, but it goes from a range of ~10-240 IRE to ~26-240. Please see attached screenshots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Premiere Pro 22.5.0 (build 62)

Windows 11 Home 64-Bit

AMD Ryzen 5 6300

32GB DDR4 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

• Happens whether Lumetri is applied to the footage or the adjustment layer.
  • Does not happen if I break it up - i.e. if LUT and Creative LUT are applied to footage, and Curves applied to adjustment layer.
  • Does not happen if I import the same footage into a new project, but does happen if I import the old project into a new one.
  • Seems to occur on all footage in the original project, which was possibly created in October, 2021. But I'm not sure as it's been through a few different stages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2022 version has a completely rebuilt color system. The old one was based on Rec.709 totally, HLG/PQ possible as "over-range Rec.709 values".

The new one I call color space agnostic. There is no "presumed" color space. All mathematical basis and default behavior has also changed.

So old projects brought into 2022 will have at the very least minor problems. But typically rather major ones.

So either keep a project in 2021, or build a new replacement project in 2022.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for explaining what's going on.

By "build a new replacement project" do you mean start over? Or is there a way for me to import my edits into 2022? If not, neither of those options are viable solutions for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately,  it's a lot of "over".

You can easily create a new project in Pr2022, and then from the MediaBrowser panel navigate to the older project file.

Select it, right-click and import the sequences and assets into the new project file.

But most clip's color work will need at least some adjustments, and some will need completely rebuilt color.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's truly astounding to me. As a software that wants so badly to be industry standard, year-over-year backwards compatibility is an absolute necessity. Not yelling at you, Neil. It's just another frustrating instance of Adobe failing to support their users.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I ain't Adobe,  so yea, you're not yelling at me.

The problem they were facing is maybe more massive than you realize.

The old system, and all mathematical calculations, were based on the Rec.709 video standards. And they had to build a completely new system for proper modern choices.

And giving us user's actual, functional control over input transforms, working spaces, scopes, and export spaces.

I don't know how they could have done any better under the circumstances. I'm amazed as many things come through as well as they do.

And for comparison, Resolve has been through a couple major versions changes that made some of the grades on previous versions problematic also. Nature of the beast.

Change the underlying math, you change the view of the pixels.

It is though, a lot easier to work with previous versions of Premiere than Resolve. And yes, I'm a regular Resolve Studio user also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still dealing with this issue in 2023. It's particularly prevelant when I'm using Lumetri Color Presets that incorporate LUTs. Attempting to change the LUT in any way after the preset is applied results in this instant wash-out footage. Seperating the LUT from other corrections using an adjustment layer seems to be the quickest fix, but it is rather frustrating that I'm going on 4+ years of this bug. My Premiere is up to date (23.2.0), and this problem has happened on multiple kinds of footage, in different color spaces, new and old projects, mutiple Premiere updates, etc. It's an issue that's baked into Premiere's preset structure and unrelated to the kind of footage I use or the way I build my timelines. Which is frustrating because I use presets a lot! I'm really not sure when this will get fixed unfortunately 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I test a lot of LUTs for various reasons, and use a range of Lumetri presets. I've not had this happen once. So I'm trying to figure out what is going on in your system.

What LUTs are these, where did you get them? Where do you park them on your computer?

Which tab of Lumetri are you using to apply them?

As this is happening on even new projects, what media is involved? And any other effects used?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines