Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formatting SCC Captions

Contributor ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just getting to grip with captions. I have imported a .scc file but I cannot see how to change font size/type etc. I can see where you change background colour and couple other things but not fonts

I assume this is possible?

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

I haven't had a great deal of success importing captions to Premiere. There is a page that explains the process...

Learn to work with captions in Premiere Pro

I typically open the script or .srt file up in one monitor and, on a second monitor, create a caption file within the Premiere project that has the settings I want. Then I cut and paste from the script to the caption stream. It's not fast but it's been working. Then again, none of my projects are over five minutes. For a longer piece this wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on how it's setup. 608 captions don't have many formatting options. The font size and a number of other options are fixed. 708 captions have a wealth of formatting options but I think they are only compatible with HD streams.

I'm relatively new to captions as well. I found this article to be helpful...

http://www.3playmedia.com/2015/08/11/whats-the-difference-between-cea-608-line-21-captions-cea-708-c...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

Many thanks for your reply. The file that was provided to me was 608 according to Premiere, will try to obtain a 708 thanks

My video is HD

I have noticed a .srt file can change fonts etc.

Not sure which to use, but still experimenting

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had a great deal of success importing captions to Premiere. There is a page that explains the process...

Learn to work with captions in Premiere Pro

I typically open the script or .srt file up in one monitor and, on a second monitor, create a caption file within the Premiere project that has the settings I want. Then I cut and paste from the script to the caption stream. It's not fast but it's been working. Then again, none of my projects are over five minutes. For a longer piece this would be very tedious.

If you find a clean way to import files as 708, please post. It might help a lot of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

Thanks for the link/info.

Update:

I contacted the company that produced the caption file from my video, and they have said a .mcc file supports cea708 and they sent me one. I imported this in PP but the options are the same as the .scc file, unable to set a font and size.

Havent tried it out fully yet to see if there any differences as yet

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

I have a solution.

I was able to import a .srt file and could change font/size/colour etc as I needed. Using the effects panel I could also zoom in/out and position where I want just like other clips

Thanks for your help

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have also come across this issue in Premiere Pro 2020 (ver 14.3.0). I figured out how to change the font, size and placement (thanks for Joshua Jackson in Creative Cow).

You have to change the SCC closed caption to open caption to make any font adjustments. Please see provided screenshots.

HowToModifySCC-adobe00.pngHowtoModifySCC-adobe01.pngHowToModifySCC-adobe2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines