• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame Drop and sudden poor performance

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past year I have been making videos for work with no problems. Then all of a sudden this week I started a new video and I'm getting dropped frames and laggy performance with a very simple video. I reopened old projects and now they are all running terrible as well. 

In response I have made sure all Adobe is updated, Windows is updated, my graphics card and bios is running fine and up to date. All systems are running fine.

My setup is:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200

G.SKILL F4 DDR4 3600 C14 2x8GB

Windows 10 Pro

I've completely uninstalled Adobe (used adobe cleaner as well), reinstalled Adobe.

I've read others issues with frame drop and have tried some of their fix examples and still no use.

Spent the last 3 days trying to figure out what has changed with no success.

Anyone have something like this happen lately?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dana5C76,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We can get this checked. Let us know the type of media files you are working with (format/codec, frame rate & frame size) & the effects applied. 

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay, I shouldn't have asked a question right before I went on vacation!

These are the properties of my current test video:

Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 4.11 GB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 29.97
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 24-bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00;02;53;04
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Video Codec Type: HEVC 10 bit 4:2:0 (Full Range)

The only edits I've made before noticing the frame drops is a few cuts and a couple Dip to Black effects. As soon as I do that, it drastically changes the playback and becomes very laggy. This was never an issue until about 2 weeks ago. 

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At present, there is an issue with nested audio: if so delete audio from nest or disable Show Audio Waveform.

H.265 is not really a good format for editing, transcode to an intermediate code or use the proxy workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. I just tried your nested audio solution and it had no effect on the problem.  I previously used H.264 and that had no issues with my Premier either.

I'm just trying to figure out what could have changed to make this program not function like before. I'm curious if could be caused by a Windows Update or some other form of update since there were no manual changes to anything between now and the change in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of drive are you using for your storage?

As standard drives fill up, the performance drops.  So, the sustained data transfer rate needed to play your source footage might be easily maintained while the drive is at 30%, 50%, or 70% capacity.  But at a certain point that sustained data transfer rate will drop.  The general rule is 80% capacity for standard hard drives.

This may not be the issue, but worth taking a look at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus, 1TB and 250GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free space is available on each?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C: 132GB free

D: 882GB free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's a long-shot but but check your 'Audio Hardware' preferences and set the Default Input to No input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was already set to No Input. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE!

After trying many,  many solutions including upgrading our system to 32GB RAM, installing a new RTX 3070 Ti and updating everything that could possibly be updated we may have found the issue.

We run our PC with an Active Directory account and when switching to Local disk only, the frame drop seems to disappear. We are assuming this has something to do with app data or something having to be fetched through our server. So now we need to know if there is a way to change where Premier grabs the data it needs while running so we don't have this problem when not in Local.

Hopefully someone might have a solution for that?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines