Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame hold video layer disappears when another sequence enters

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

(Note: all the video I shot for this project was in front of a green screen and then the green was keyed out with ultrakey).

I have a 20-second frame hold in my top video layer (V9). There is some motion animation in the first 5 seconds of the frame hold. Then another sequence begins in a lower video layer (V3). When the V3 layer sequence begins, the V9 layer immediately goes blank, even though in the timeline the frame hold is still going on for 15 more seconds and the V9 layer is obviously on a higher layer. I have tried deleting and re-adding the frame hold, adding more motion keyframes to trick Premiere into keeping the layer visible, shutting down premiere, shutting down my Mac.

Could my V3 layer somehow be set to not allow video in other layers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advisor , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Just to check - are you preview rendering at the point where V9 goes blank. If not try preview rendering that section to see if it appears once rendered.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

sometime it's simpler to export a still frame (in a format that supports transparancey) rather than a frame hold... and edit it into the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check - are you preview rendering at the point where V9 goes blank. If not try preview rendering that section to see if it appears once rendered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your reply! This in combination with another reply solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometime it's simpler to export a still frame (in a format that supports transparancey) rather than a frame hold... and edit it into the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still happening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have a frame hold over a cross dissolve it makes the frame hold disappear, not sure why but just a heads up for anyone else having the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not do that.

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does happen, resetting preferences doesn't change it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit comments for some reason on here, but it's not cross dissolve it is just any change in sequence, if there's a cut above or below the frame hold will disappear, unless you nest all the footage around it it just doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating. Have you found a solution yet by chance? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by any chance is your source from a smartphone or screen recording?  If so, your clip probably has a variable frame rate which is problematic in Premiere and would explain why there might be issues with a frame hold.use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a variable frame rate it just happens over cross dissolves for some reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope turns out it is over any frame change, it just disappears?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue. Amongst other things...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a keyed frame-hold segment, and when i overlay a png above it, the frame-hold sequence becomes invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the keyframes within the clip i.e. position, opacity, whichever. Worked for me. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go back to Final Cut, however. The gliches here are somewhat baffling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This Glitch is still happening in 2023 on Premiere Pro 2024. Its the weirdest thing. And the solutions suggested above are good but they are extra steps and disrupt Work Flow. . . So weird. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines