Frame Rate Questions!

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I've been having trouble wrapping my head around how to use footage with different frame rates in Premiere Pro.

After watching YouTube videos on how to shoot, interpret, use sequence settings, and export the footage, I am still a bit confused on the best way to handle the situation. It doesn't help that there are a few different ways of doing things, and that some people say that another persons way is wrong....

My question stems around the 24fps 'rule.' 

A lot of people say to shoot at 24fps ,and with double shutter speed for smooth and life-like video, which I do understand, but, what if I shoot at 60fps? Do I even bother changing the sequence setting to 23.976 fps? Do I just work with the 60fps timeline and export it at 23.976?? 

I did try to change the sequence setting to 23.976 fps (with the footage still on the timeline) but it made everything somewhat jittery.

Another way I heard about from a YouTuber, was to interpret the footage from whatever FPS I shot at, to 23.976 fps at the start. That includes interperting the proxy footage to 23.976 so everything is aligned.

This seemed to work the best in the start, but I ran into issues when I wanted to speed ramp the clips. For some reason, after I edited a video with mulitple clips, all the timing of the clips would be shifted a bit from the proxy to the original footage. Since I edit to the beat of the music, it made everything offbeat and basically destroyed the edit.

I was wondering what you guys thought about how to edit with proxies, and the best way to handle the clips that are shot at anything other than 23.976 fps, and if it really matters if I edit and/or export at 23.976 from 60fps footage, especially since I double my shutter for the 60fps setting, and since everything looks pretty good as is anyways!!

Thanks!! Any help is appreciated!!!

TOPICS
Editing, How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your base is your final export..What frame rate did you decide for your final output?

you say you have 60fps footage, what about other frame rates that you are using?

60fps better conformed to 30fps ... but what is the main reason that you wanna conform 

your 60fps assets to 23.976fps?  better shoot natively at your desired frame rate,

that always leads to better results than conforming frame rates

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

I do have two clips I shot at 23.976fps. The rest are shot at 60fps so I have the option for slow motion.

In my mind, I pictured shooting different frame rates (all at double the shutter speed), and then creating a 23.976fps timeline to edit them in. 

Is this the correct path for editing to achieve the 'cinematic' look? 

Another question...

If I only had 60fps footage, and I wanted to do slow motion sections/speed ramps, should I still create a 24fps timeline to edit in? Or just create a 60fps timeline and slow down the clips as needed from there? I just assume that if I slow down past 60fps, on a 60fps timeline, then it won't be smooth and would have missed frames?

Another thing is exporting.... If I just edit some 60fps footage in a 60fps timeline, and I did speed ramps (assuming it still gives smooth footage) can I just export at 23.976fps? Would that still give a cinematic look?

Thanks for the help... I'm still having problems wrapping my head around shooting, editing and exporting with different frame rates.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything you want to slow down more than it was shot at i.e. making a 24fps clip run at half speed - right click the clip in your sequence select speed/duration and type in 50% - then select 'Optical Flow' from the 'Time Interpolation' drop down menu. Optical flow will create the inbetween frames and in many cases give you very good slow motion. You'll need to render your sequence to see the result. 

If you look closely you may see weird artifacts where the process can't figure out what pixels to move but in general it's great.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

60fps is a very good frame-rate for "standard" slo-motion for 24p project settings. It's used a lot.

Neil

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is to record at 60P and use a 60P sequence. If you want to fast forward or make use of slow motion you can.  You can output to 24P but the video will not look as smooth.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines