• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Freezing then crashing my Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone through a comprehensive system check with Apple to ensure that the problem is not on their end - and I don't think it is because Premiere and After Effects seem to be the only programs that cause the crash.

So I will be working away,,,editing or working on something in adobe and my mouse - and in face everything - will freeze - then a few seconds later the machine will restart itself.

Anyone?

System Specs:

ALL software latest edition as of this morning

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stevesecor,

We're sorry to hear about this. Is this happening with any specific project or all the projects? Also, have you checked if any crash log is generated on the system?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, last friday I completely did a new install of the Big Sur operating system to wipe out any issues I might have on my machine and unfortunately it did the same thing again today for the first time while running Premiere.

Here is the crash log that was generated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, now it won't let me upload the file because it say that it isn't the correct file type.  Someone from Adobe was supposed to call me back the other day when I had a supprt ticket going but they never did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try posting the crash log again, I am having the same exact issue. Copy and paste your crash log on pastebin.com and post the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the correct log.  It was under Premiere Pro but not exactly the right path - but it did create it about the time of the "crash" which is more of a restart 

Secor-Premiere Log May 24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Command + spacebar and type "console" hit enter. Under reports on the left side click "crash reports" see if there is one from the time of your crash. That's the log we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it did not create one for this event then.  It usually happens when I am doing something in Premiere with the mouse - then freezes and restarts back to a earlier time - almost a timehop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say restarts back to an earlier time, I'm guessing you mean Finder is re-opening windows from earlier in your work session?

When the restart finishes, do you get a message saying "Your computer restarted because of a problem" etc. or a dialog box that gives you an option to report the issue to Apple? Always click report, then copy-paste the crash log it displays into Text edit, then save the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, last week when this was really a huge problem - and I was on the support line with someone from Adobe - I had all of the old crash reports ready but I couldn't get anyone to read them....they were going to call me back the next day and that never happened.  I ended up literally wiping the machine clean and re-installing the OS and all of the apps that I use... I did not have a super recent backup since there were no files on the machine that I needed to keep - frankly I had already wasted so much time on this that I just went ahead and re-installed the clean OS so I will have to wait for it to do that again - only some of the time do I get the restart message 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, unfortunately without a crash log it's difficult to tell what's going on, unless there is a specific action you're doing that can cause it to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally understand.  I wish I had a way to get to the ones from last week....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide detailed specs of your system, including your storage configuration as well as your OS and version of Premiere.

Uninstall using the Adobe CC Cleaner: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all software is Latest config as of today.  System:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

I'm using two external drives - G Tech 4TB.  They don't seem to be the problem.

Just had a crash that gave me a crash report.  See below for that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Crash Restart - Mon May 24 415 p

There is the crash report from what just happened. there was no freeze this time - just a sound and restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is one of your drives full or close to full?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, one of the external drives (4TB in size) is down to 65 gig left but that is the only drive that is even close 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be it, if something is trying to write a file bigger than that or it is being used as temp or cache space.

The crash report suggests it might be something to do with external drives. Try disconnecting all external media and see if the problem still occurs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems like a good path to look at.  I'll make sure that no Cache or Temp files are set to that drive and try again tomorrow!  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck! Don't forget to just try clearing some space 🙂 If you disconnect the drives and it keeps happening, come back and we'll see what we can do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well - i THOUGHT that we were good.  I got that drive out of the loop but while I was copying footage from it I had another freeze up with someone else in the room - the speakers make this annoying "metallic" sound as it freezes and my co-worker thought that it sounded like the bad drive freezing up (it isn't a SSD).  I got all the footage off and was editing something and it happened AGAIN.  I didn't get a crash reeport though.

Further thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just to be clear, all external hard drives were disconnected, and your computer still froze and restarted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so at the risk of you wanting to beat me to a bloody pulp - I will tell you that I had a new external drive connected - so ALL drives were not disconnected - but they are now.

I moved some footage to the desktop and I am going to try and add a bunch of effects and put a strain on the system and see what happens././/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW -  i was joking about the bloody pulp part.  ðŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, it may not be the drives after all, but let's just go through methodically and make sure we eliminate things step-by-step 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines