Highlighted

Frozen/choppy playback in Premiere with 4k footage

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I have a brand new custom PC that I had built for editing... The whole intent of buying the system was to be able to edit seamlessly without having to rely on proxies, preview at 1/4 quality, etc... However, when editing just a SINGLE track of 4k video in a timeline (with no color/effects applied), Premiere fails to playback the footage smoothly... It either stalls out entirely, or plays extremely choppy.  Even playing the footage back at 1/4 quality, I have the same issues... So once again I am forced to render proxies for every single project, though I have several peers with systems that play this kind of footage back effortlessly without proxies.  

Can somebody glance at my PC specs and tell me where I'm lacking?  Or are there setting changes I'm not aware of that I need to implement?  My specs are below: 

Thanks so much to all🙏

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
System Name DESKTOP-BR8AH15
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X570 AORUS ELITE
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F10, 11/15/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X570 AORUS ELITE
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 64.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 43.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 68.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 43.8 GB

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Frozen/choppy playback in Premiere with 4k footage

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I have a brand new custom PC that I had built for editing... The whole intent of buying the system was to be able to edit seamlessly without having to rely on proxies, preview at 1/4 quality, etc... However, when editing just a SINGLE track of 4k video in a timeline (with no color/effects applied), Premiere fails to playback the footage smoothly... It either stalls out entirely, or plays extremely choppy.  Even playing the footage back at 1/4 quality, I have the same issues... So once again I am forced to render proxies for every single project, though I have several peers with systems that play this kind of footage back effortlessly without proxies.  

Can somebody glance at my PC specs and tell me where I'm lacking?  Or are there setting changes I'm not aware of that I need to implement?  My specs are below: 

Thanks so much to all🙏

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
System Name DESKTOP-BR8AH15
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model X570 AORUS ELITE
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor, 3593 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F10, 11/15/2019
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product X570 AORUS ELITE
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 64.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 43.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 68.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 43.8 GB

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your drives for that rig? Internal and external ... what are they, type of connection?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, thanks so much for your response. 

I have  2tb NVME SSDs + 4tb standard storage drive.

The first SSD is dedicated to OS and applications only.

The second SSD was intended to house working projects/footage, then the 4TB HDD just for storage... However, I've A/B'd processing speed with all of the project files being housed on the SSD versus the HDD, and I notice little to no difference.  I still experience the lagging/freezing when the footage is housed on the SDD.   

Not sure if this helps at all or not, but it seems like the problem is worse with certain codecs than others... Namely, DJI 4k drone footage, and 4k GoPro footage... 

Any and all input will help.. I'm tempted to take the machine to the shop that built it and see if there is anything they can do. I literally had this rig built to avoid this exact problem...

Thanks again all!! 

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The particularly nasty form of long-GOP put out by drones and GoPros is often hard to edit with. They're using at times even partial i-frames. I-frames are the sporadic complete frames, b and p frames are all the in-between, and they aren't actually frames. Just a matrix of pixels that 1) have changed since the last i-frame 2) will change before the next i-frame or 3) both.

So to create every frame for playback, the computer has to find the referenced i-frames and see that they are decompressed/decoded and stored in RAM, then use the data for the pixels from those frames to use the matrix for the 'current' frame to compute what the pixels for that frame are needing to be.

Every. Flipping. Frame.

When long-GOP first started, the longest span between iframes was 15 frames. Then 30 ... but now with "partial i-frames" some cameras go up to 120 frames between complete iframes. So those format/codecs are great for when you have a custom chip in the camera to do the encoding prior to writing to the card. They can get massive reduction in data being stored and written to the card.

But playing back that media ain't easy. Playing back a bunch of chunks of that media, and applying all the effects & etc of the editing process ... that's a strain on most computers. There are some bits of hardware that do allow the computers to handle that easier, and Premiere is starting to use them. "RJL" seems to know the list of what hardware can more easily handle that media. If he posted he could give a better appreciation of how well your kit should handle long-GOP.

What's the GPU on that rig?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely insightful.. thanks for the explanation about i-frames!!! That makes sense why I'm constantly bogged down by this media.. 

My GPU is the GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking hardware is the primary or sole factor involved in performance, when the media has a massive amount to do with it. I think I'm echoing Neil here in saying that, in particular, DJI media seems to have some difficult media to decode (playback). I've never been able to work with it without using proxies. You shouldn't fear proxies. They are a part of most high-end production workflows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Phillip.  I'll keep my ego out of it and continue using proxies =D 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some rigs have the combination of hardware/drivers that can do some 'hardware' acceleration of long-GOP processing. It's complex and I can't keep track. That's a decent rig you've got for sure in general terms.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 1
Guide ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if your processor supports it, go to prefs, media, enable hardware accelerated decoding. I was about to buy a new computer, but premiere started supporting my system again. if you don't have that feature, you need a 5ghz processor to handle realtime playback of heavy delta frames. it's like unzipping a file, every file, 24 times a second per video track!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris, I have had it activated all along and unfortunately still experience the difficulties with playback 😕 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
MyerPj LATEST
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<The whole intent of buying the system was to be able to edit seamlessly without having to rely on proxies>>

Just in case it's not obvious from the above discussion, your 'intent' was really not feasible. The codecs are going to out-do hardware for the most part. Besides the proxy workflow is quite good, and when you've scrubbed Cineform or Prores (proxies) and compared it to any h.264 it becomes obvious why they are better and preferable to work with.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1