Full computer shutdown during cell phone footage

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been battling this problem for months and can't get to the bottom of it: 

When editing cell phone video in premiere (HEVC, occastionally VFR), premiere will momentarily freeze, then my entire computer will shut off. It's infuriating. Here is what I've tested so far: 

Software

-Premiere 13.1.5 and all versions of 14.

Hardware

Tested on all 3 of my macs (all running various versions of Catelina)

-2017 macbook pro (3.1GHz dual-core i5, 8gb ram, standard card)

-2020 imac (3.8GHz 8-core i7 w/ t2 chip, 40gb DDR4, Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8GB)

-2019 mac pro (3.2 GHz 16-core Xeon W, 128GB DDR4, Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB)

Both the imac and mac pro absolutely crush anything I throw at it (4k Raw, Red raw, feature length timelines, etc.) But, when I throw a freaking cell phone video at it, the entire system crashes. Everything I've found online says either A) people's systems aren't powerful enough, or B) to just revert to an older version of premiere. I've addressed both of those things and am still having the problem. 

Any suggestions? 

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Formats, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While I can't say I've seen a full computer shut down happen from any type of video, whether on Mac or PC, I will say that cell phone video is probably the worst video you can edit with, especially the HEVC/VFR combo. If you transcode the media to correct the VFR does that help? I realize that doesn't necessarily address the crashing, but a lot of cell phone video ends up needing to be transcoded anyway.

Have you updated all the GPU drivers on those machines?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines