• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FUNCTION REMOVED: Drag and drop media into bins from finder window?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This really messes with my workflow, after the latest update I'm not able to drag and drop media into bins from my finder window. Is there a way to toggle this function back on?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

I started a new project and drag and drop works. The project I was having problems with was created before the update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anthony, 

Do any of the other import options work? What's the format?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manually clicking through from the file menu or right clicking on the bin works. So far the file types that I have tryed and have not worked for me are: PNG, VLC and MP4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a new project and drag and drop works. The project I was having problems with was created before the update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, Anthony. 
Have you heard of the great tip from Dave Helmly where you delete Media Cache before starting any project in a new version? Give that a go! That may prevent such problems in the future.

My personal advice as an editor: it's always a little dicey opening up a legacy project in a new version. Some prefer to create a new project, and then import the previous project's contents into that new project. It "rewires" it, is the best way to explain it.

Good luck on your project!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin. The problem persists. Drag and drop from finder windows seems to work until I close a project, then the function is broken. This is not my caches. I work in a high volume production department that outputs dozens of television commercials weekly and I have been through several Adobe updates in the past, so I do understand there can be "rewiring" problems associated with updates. This is not that. This is a bug that takes away precious minutes of my workday because I am so trained to drag and drop when quickly looking for files, everytime it happens it grinds me to a halt and I have to find the file path again through the import dialogue box, then cross reference what I have already selected in my finder window. Its inhibating to productivity and creativity. I work with two monitors and I always have my bins undocked on my right. Pleeeeease fix or begin the fixing process. Can I fill out a ticket? Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anquinn,

Glad that you were able to solve the issue. Could you please confirm if you are using any custom workspace split across multiple monitors or if any of the panels are undocked? 

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumeet. The issue seems to continue even with new projects. I am using a custom workspace with two monitors. I don't have a workplace saved, rather every time I start a project I undock my bins and drag them to my second monitor on my right, I work with my timeline and everything else with my left monitor. Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I cannot drag and drop anything. I can't drag and drop to change the custom order of  bins and files and I cannot drag media from windows explorer window into project. And yes I am using multiple window layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switched to one window and it does work now. However it really slows down my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, I just posted about it lol. Couldn't use any keyboard shortcuts in the Project panel either. When I created a new project and dragged the old project into it, the functionality came back. Even on two monitors! Leave it to Adobe to eff up something so simple lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That indicates there was a bit of corruption in that project file. Not all that common, but can happen.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am havinbg the same problem. In fact, I couldn't even option drag items and in some cases couldn't even select them! I find if I tear out the window so it it by itself and not docked it will restore drag & drop. (MacPro 2019, dual 4K monitors)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me!! So frustrating and such a wrench in my workflow. I have to manually import stuff in now instead of just dragging and dropping into a bin. This is the first support thread I've seen on the issue, so I'm glad i'm not the only one!

I'm working on a multi-screen set up, although the probl;em persits even when I swtich over to one. Happens with EVERY file format I try to drag and drop. 

Please fix this bug adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an issue where if you are in thumbs view you can't move things between bins, but if you switch to List view, you can. Then of course switch back to thumbs view while working.

Does this apply to your troubles?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, 

No, this doesn't apply to me. It does seem to be working if I start a new project -- working in a pre-premiere update project seems to be the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project in the new version. From Media Browser navigate to the old project file, right-click import assets of that project into the new one.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines