Gamma 2.2 vs 2.4 - Gamma shift on export - WTF Adobe.

New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

We've been on this problem for quite some time and it has come to a community post. If there is a neat workaround, it is very welcome. But please fix it in the next update, adobe.

Problem

The problem is a gamma shift on export from premiere.

In general when coming from grading, we'll receive a 422HQ with gamma out 2.4 as it is the standard.

The fromgrade looks like this: 

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.29.48.png

inside premiere (program window) it matched perfectly : 

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.34.44.png

Now when exporting the gamma 2.4 from premiere there is a clear shift : 

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.31.34.png

For testing we exported the grading with a gamma out 2.2 from resolve:

It matches perfectly with the 2.4 export we just did.

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.28.00.png

So the 2.4 shifts to 2.2 on exporting from premiere , which is very annoying. 

But there is more. Put the 2.2 gamma in the Program monitor and you'll get this : 

a shift from gamma 2.2 to 2.4

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.41.29.png

Exporting the 2.2 from premiere : 

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.30.40.png

It does what it has to do : the gamma remains 2.2

Conclusion

When inside premiere you'll work in a gamma 2.4 on the programviewer & source.

When exporting it will be a gamma 2.2, no matter what you do.

Solution :

I know there is a lut that is supposed to fix this. But it does not.  It's a lut. 

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 12.54.46.png

So at the moment the only solution is to grade in gamma 2.2, that way at least the colors will come out the way the grader & DOP wanted.  Or maybe there is a solution I don't know.

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What are your settings in Resolve? I hope "auto" for incoming Rec.709 media.

A bit of background before I give further answer.

I run both PrPro and Resolve. I am a contributing author at MixingLight.com, a pro colorist's teaching website. Pr color managment is my "beat" over there. And I gave a presentation in the Flanders FSI/MixingLight booth at NAB2019 on PrPro's color management.

To prep that presentation, Patrick Palmer 'gave' me then-color engineer Francis Crossman as a source. I spent hours on phone and Zoom with him prior to that NAB, and an hour or two at NAB to go over details.

After that, before the presentation was approved to go up onto the MixingLight site, "we" had a massive email series with Francis, myself, Adobe video chief color scientist Lars Borg, and colorists Patrick Inhofer and Robbie Carman of MixingLight. Who, by the way, were chosen by Dolby Labs to do the in-house training series for pro work using DolbyVision HDR for b-cast/streaming.

Over 70 emails back & forth before Pat & Robbie were certain they'd covered every detail. And tested the crud out of it on their machines, which are of course using monster cost monitors & internal LUTs and LUT boxes where the monitor doesn't have the internals ... total b-cast Rec.709/D65/2.4/100-nits in a semi-darkened room.

PrPro as it exists is totally stock Rec.709 D65/2.4/100-nits. It is hardwired for that. Resolve of course offers the user the ability to select options but PrPro doesn't.

PrPro assumes all Rec.709 media is (appropriately) gamma 2.4. Period.

I've just been through another email series with Lars Borg and Robbie concerning NLC tags in Premiere. You can go to the FAQ section of this forum and search for FAQ on NLC tags ... that will include Lars' entire explanation.

Basically ... PrPro tags 1-1-1, which in properly managed systems will get the standard Rec.709/2.4 monitor response.

On Robbie & Pat's systems, it works perfectly between Resolve and PrPro. As it does on mine. And many other pro colorists with their incredibly tightly controlled systems.

So if it isn't on yours, I would posit that something in your system isn't set correctly. PrPro simply tags everything as 1-1-1, which should be shown as 2.4

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines