• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch in a shot (but it doesn't show when playing it back in Premiere) -any solution?

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm editing a film and there is a shot that we really want to use. It has been recorded as H264 -which I know it's not ideal due to the long-GOP interframe. The problem is that it has a glitch, but it actually doesn't show inside Premiere; it just plays smooth. But when exporting it, a glitch appears again in the middle of it.

We've tried transcoding it to Prores and also exporting it to Prores and Animation and nothing works. Any idea if it can be fixed, considering it can play smooth within Premiere?

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann. I've just tried it and unfortunately it didn't work, but let me know if you think there is a setting or codec that may do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We've tried transcoding it to Prores and also exporting it to Prores and Animation and nothing works. Any idea if it can be fixed, considering it can play smooth within Premiere?"

What do you mean by this exactly, you mean you've transcoded the specific shot to ProRes and the result wasn't glitched, but later in the final export it was still glitched?

I'm just riffing here, but rather than encode the shot to ProRes, can you take a scene or small sequence in which that shot will be used in your film (use it as you'd like to, glitch aside), then export that scene/sequence out as ProRes, and pull that back into your project. Then if the glitch appears here, just edit around it (ie. remove a bad frame or mask the glitchy part, etc. depending on how bad the glitch is)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi awh11,

We've transcoded the shot itself onto Prores before bringing it to Premiere. And it plays back ok. When exporting it in a sequence, the glitch appears though. We've also tried doing the same with the master, cutting it in a sequence (it plays ok) and then export it onto Prores or Animation. But the glitch always appears in the export. Unfortutately, the glitch appears in the middle of an action that would be good to use in the film... 

What puzzles me is that it plays back ok inside Premiere so, can we replicate what's happening in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happens the first thing i do is to manually delete the Media Cache files and Media Cache Database in either Explorer or Finder.

When done, launch Premiere Pro and open the project but don´t do anything in the project until all media cache files have been re-generated again. For large projects it can take some minutes. Look at the indicator down right in the user interface. When it has stopped, try to export again and update us with the result. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Averdahl,

Thanks. I did try this but it made no difference. 

It is frustrating that the information clearly exists in the shot, as it plays back inside Premiere, but there's no way to translate this information outside of it.

Let me know if you think of anything else. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then i suspect that there is an issue with the Importer in Premiere Pro. Sometimes it can be solved by changing the source file from lets say File.mp4 to File.mts or File.m2ts or File.mpeg to solve the problem.

If you are on Windows i have had success with TMPGEnc Smart Renderer 5. I just import the source clip and then output it. No re-encoding and it´s lightning fast. This has saved me many times. The trial version is free and fully functional without water marking the footage for 30 days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you render the section in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines