Glitchy Open Subtitles

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I am trying to add subtitles to a video that is supposed to go up on facebook but for some reason, Premiere Pro doesn't like it when I modify Open Subtitles. I basically need to choose a specific font, get rid of the box and just keep a black outline but when I do any changes, the Program monitor starts glitching and not showing the subtitles with no way of making them viewable again (even if I revert back to how they were). Am I doing something wrong or is it really glitchy?

Thank you all!!

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Subtitling is a special form of Closed Captions. You want Open Captions.

In the Project Panel, right click on the Open Subtitling stream and Modify -> Captions. Then pick Open Captions and set the pixel size, par, and timcode if it is not correct.

Once you do this, you cannot  undo it. Do NOT "Duplicate" a caption stream in PR.

I assume you are planning to export the captions as a sidecar file and then upload to Youtube. And not burn them into the video, correct?

You are going to discover that of the various PR sidecar export formats, you will have limited control of the font etc that is actually exported by PR and/or read by Youtube.

Here's the Youtube help page. I don't see an option to specify font in any of the formats. I'm  not saying it isn't there. But the USER in their video settings can specify what font family they want etc.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698?hl=en#zippy=%2Cbasic-file-formats%2Cadvanced-file-...

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
TORM3NTO AUTHOR
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying! Actually, I do need to burn them in as the output is for Facebook. I will try Open captions again, although I can't personalize anything with it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Open Captions (but not Open Subtitling) to pick your own font etc for burn in.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines