• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Good book for Premiere Pro?

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Premiere Pro on and off (mostly off) for almost 2 years.  Have made a couple of videos but I feel lost every time I go to do anything.  Wanted to create a letter box mask and just could not get it to work.  Even basics of changing the shape did not work (could not keep it parallel).

I'd like to know a good book that really teaches how to use this monster of a program.  I bought the Kindle edition of Maxim Jago's book (2018) and did most of the lessons, but I still stuggle.  Is there another book or author out there?  Checked Amazon and Maxim Jago was the only book I could find.

Are there tutorials out there that are any good?

[Name of the author of the book edited by mod]

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

For a lot of that, what I would recommend is to get a couple months of subscription to LinkedInLearning.com. They have numerous good tutorial series, including project files & media downloads, and the basic operations like that are covered there.

You really need to do this for a bit to get that sort of thing down, and spending a month or two working some of those tutorials is the fastest way to get that down short of spending such time at the shoulder of a working editor.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a Google search for

The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro - Learn advanced editing techniques to dramatically speed up your workflow

by Jarle Leirpoll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

=====

Wanted to create a letter box mask and just could not get it to work.  Even basics of changing the shape did not work (could not keep it parallel).

=========

I think I saw Ann post something where if you press shift key when on the corner of the mask it turns into a tool that allows expanding rather than rotating ( default now ). She knows all that stuff so anything she recommends would be good to have. Probably has good index too ( to look up stuff like a reference book).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link where you can find Jarle's most excellent and massive tome ... it's heavily indexed with an extensive table of contents.

The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro is 1280 pages.  If it's heavily indexed, that might be a good investment.  I just need to know where to go to fix things like my letterbox issue.  The shift-click suggestion above just does not work for me.  Hopefully this book gets into the details like this.  A little concerned it's 3 years old.  Don't know if the 2020 verion of the software will differ significantly from the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99% of everything there is still accurate.

It's detailed on both how stuff works and how to get stuff done faster.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I ordered the book from Amazon.  Funny that when I searched Amazon for "Adobe Premiere Pro 2020", this book didn't come up.  When I searched for the specific title, it did.  Maybe it's because I put "2020" in the search string.

Anyway, I should get the book this week and hopefully dive in next weekend.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I initially got the ebook version ... had it on my tablet, and that tablet was always with me when in Premiere.

Last year, at Adobe MAX in LA, going through the bookstore in the "Pavillion" area with all the vendors & Adobe product booths, I saw a paper copy on the shelf. I didn't even look for the price ... just grabbed it and got in line to pay.

I lug that big thing around with me if I go to the studio to my room, or come home where I might wanna look something up or maybe work in Premiere on my laptop.

Yea, it's that useful.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending a couple of hours with this book, I'll have to say I'm disappointed.  For a professional who has done a lot of video work, it's probably a good book.  A lot of tips and tricks for better workflows and getting things done faster.  Great for professional editors.  For a novice like myself, it's nearly useless.

For example, I want to know how to create rolling credits.  The book says "Enter names in your graphic..." and "Format the text as usual".  OK, how do I do that?  What is a "graphic" and what panel or workflow is it in?  How do I format text?  I know most everyone here probably knows this, but I don't.

I'll look for a "Adobe Premiere Pro for Dummies" book.  Once I get past the dummy stage, I'll come back to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a lot of that, what I would recommend is to get a couple months of subscription to LinkedInLearning.com. They have numerous good tutorial series, including project files & media downloads, and the basic operations like that are covered there.

You really need to do this for a bit to get that sort of thing down, and spending a month or two working some of those tutorials is the fastest way to get that down short of spending such time at the shoulder of a working editor.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

...or maybe the Adobe Premiere Pro Classroom in a Book (2020 release) book. This covers the basics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines