Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Rendering Unavailable

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I already enabled Mercury Engine GPU (CUDA) in project settings but Premiere still uses CPU while exporting videos!

Also in Export window > Encoding Settings > Preformance: Software Encoding is selected and ComboBox is disabled so cannot change it:

HW Encoding is unavailable. Please make sure minimum requirements...

CPU: i7 7700K

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Latest Studio Driver Installed

Ram: Corsair 64GB 4x16GB 3000MHz CL15

SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB

Confused! Special drivers needed?!

* Searches show that this is an issue for years! Shame on you Adobe Management & Development!

What kind of developers can work on a product for 2 decades without fixing the most obvious bugs?

It clearly shows that Adobe is a jungle or Jurassic Park having managers with no any supervision on quality and 100% of focus is just on sales! F* the customers! :))

Good luck, if someone kindly help me with a more stable, less buggy one I'd be thankful.

I'm thinking to choose between Vegas, DaVinci & Media Composer?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

The way Premiere is coded, especially if you're working with long-GOP files which require tons of CPU/RAM cycles ... the amount of RAM you have supporting the CPU and the ability of the MOBO to allow CPU/RAM transit are crucial for Premiere performance. So yea ... massive amounts of RAM are useful 1) if the mobo can handle massive CPU/RAM transits and 2) the CPU itself is fast enough to be worth buying the RAM.

And part of the way things are is a legacy of decisions made in past years. Current

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it the 'Hardware encoding' option on export refers to H264 acceleration that is available on certain Intel CPUs, it has nothing to do with cuda. If you are not geting that option your CPU does not have the hardware needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On H264 there's no any Harware option, and H265 is also supported on Intel 7700K!

But forget it, you know that when we install a VGA on PC (not laptop), CPU internal graphics is not available?!

How to enable "Software Encoding" for my PC?! That's the question!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two types of hardware encoding involved and they are not related to each other. The first is GPU acceleration, used for the things on the GPU Accelerated Effects list. Such things as Warp Stabilizer and any major resizing of the image, and color (think Lumetri) especially.

If you have anything other than Software Only in the Project settings dialog, the GPU will be used for things on that list. As the CPU gets to them.

The other hardware/software encoding setup is based on whether you have an Intel CPU that has QuickSync built into it and enabled in your BIOS.

So that form of hardware acceleration ONLY is available IF you have a QuickSync CPU and you are exporting to H.264.

And it has nothing whatever to do with the GPU usage. The phrase "software encoding" in the export dialog ONLY refers to the QuickSync CPU feature. Never the use or not of the GPU.

Another interesting note is that in thorough testing by the development engineers QuickSync H.264 encodes on the CPU QuickSync hardware are faster but of slightly less quality than software only encoding.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, much appreciated, specially about the 2 different types, didn't know!

You know, on notebooks or laptops, when you have 2 graphics both are enabled, but on desktop, when you have a dedicated graphics, CPU graphics is not enabled at all, or I don't know how to enable both, but as long as I know, that's impossible on PC!
So you still think Intel Quick Sync can be used on PCs in Premiere?
I found my friend's laptop has that option enabled!

Finally, you mean that if in export window, leave that to software encoding, we will have slighly higher quality?

Although I can't figure how to config Premiere to export with GPU, now when exporting my CPU usage on 99~100% and GPU on 0%!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the on-CPU Intel HD Graphics enabled? By default, it is disabled when nothing at all whatsoever is connected to the motherboard's video-out ports. And if the integrated Intel graphics is disabled, so is QuickSync. You will need to force-enable the integrated Intel graphics in your system's EFI (BIOS), and then download and install the latest Intel graphics driver, in order to use hardware encoding in Premiere.

And there lies another problem: You sacrifice image quality for (in most cases) marginally faster encoding performance. Software encoding still produces significantly better video image quality than current implementations of hardware encoding.

Finally, if you were expecting your system to use the GTX 1080 for encodes, then Adobe will not give that to you (at least not by itself): Adobe does not natively support NVENC, which is required for GeForce hardware encoding. You will need to locate and install a third-party plugin which includes NVENC. However, NVENC's image quality is poorer than even QuickSync, let alone software encoding. You gain some, you lose some.

Hope this helps.

Randall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Project settings dialog has any GPU use set, such as CUDA or Metal, then in renders and exports Premiere will use the GPU for those things that Premiere uses the GPU for. If you don't have any GPU accelerated effects on the sequence, the GPU won't be used.

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

The difference in GPU and on-board graphics chips between desktops and laptops is profound. As was pointed out in another thread, look at the difference between a GPU for a desktop ... and "the same" GPU in a laptop form. You think they really get the entire performance of the massive GPU from the card into that little laptop device? There's a ton a space and energy saving "features" in the laptop GPU cards.

Similarly, the laptop CPUs ... the reason so many use the on-board graphics chip so much is that they are built assuming that use as a size/power saving element of designing the laptop CPUs. The desktop CPUs mostly have much of that ability actually included in the CPU itself.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, so it means if in the project we use certain plugins/effects, Premiere will use GPU for final EXPORT? otherwise use CPU for export?! And no way to force Premiere to export using GPU? From a developer POV I can say the developers must be using kinda heavy drugs! Or as I said, the company is a pure jungle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to Neil's comments, Intel's top of the line performance CPU's do not have a graphics processors, they know anyone who would be purchasing those, will be using a discrete video card. The onboard graphics card just gets in the way.

Do any of the Intel® Core® X-series Processors contain processor graphics?

Intel® Coreâ„¢ X-series Processor product line don't contain processor graphics. They all require a discrete video card for video support.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024298/processors.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey bud, I already know about the lack of inner GPU on high-end CPUs, but I always buy Intel highest mainstream CPUs since it's more than enough for my usage! The reason that I couldn't upgrade further to 8700K was that I have a vital legacy app that just runs on 4 core CPUs, so I'm stuck for now, but that's not a problem for me, mainly I'm a developer, and for graphical purposes I expect the apps to use my GTX 1080, so I cannot find what are all these related to the problem that Premiere is using CPU to render, shall I get a Xeon 48 core CPU?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This all isn't an excuse, just an explanation. I live in the world of what actually is. Yea, I've got wishes and dreams but you have to work with what's available. And ... ALL these apps are just tools. Fancy hammers.

Premiere is a complex app with a lot of code from over several years. Remember, it wasn't built when computers ran tons of cores. So they keep upgrading the core count it can use, but still ... SO many processes within the app require sequential processing. Which is a challenge to divide, send through many cores, then re-combine. In a perfect world they could start from scratch of course and completely build a new program code base. We ain't living in a perfect world however.

So migrating over time is what's happening. Annoying as that is for users and actually for the staff.

CPUs and GPUs use very different math forms and processes. And this app is built primarily for the editing process ... which a few years back wasn't that dependent on the GPU in the computer. Hence ... CPU centric in current design. Over time, they have and will increase the utilization of GPUs. I know from talking with the program people at Adobe MAX last week that they are clearly working with Nvidia say on the RED processing being built into some of the Nvidia GPUs.

So for best performance now, the testing from Puget Systems and Safeharbor Computing and others suggest running 8-12 cores, maybe more, with hopefully a frequency at or above 4Ghz, with good RAM at up to 10GB/RAM/core. Then a GPU with at least 6GB of vRAM, and numerous SSDs or internal/direct-connection RAID arrays. Oh ... and on the rare motherboards with enough lanes that can be assigned to different things so you don't have your MOBO become its own bottleneck.

A lot of the colorists I know have rigs for other apps that can use multiple GPUs for render/exports. Yea, would be nice. Not at the moment however.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for the info, you're almost right, I also have commercial apps that are built near 2 decades now which we did write the whole codes from the scratch, I can imagine what a horrible nightmare is to do the same with a giant software like Premiere, but the company is also giant, and it's not impossible for them, to be honest, I've OCD, so I don't know I'm right that always do my best to refine my code and spend maximum time and energy to have the best possible apps, or others are right that don't give a * about the QC and just care about sales!

I also got Media Encoder, just imported MP4 H264 and exported with different settings, in no way I could get GPU to work more than 1%, it's not used for export at all, neither Premiere nor Media Encoder!

Just I didn't get, you mean I obtain more than 64GB of Ram? About GPU, I'm sure it has 8GB, 1080 is not bad (2080 does not worth it, RTX not supported yet), and fastest SSDs on the market now, are Samsung 960/970 Pro 1TB! No space for upgrade now, just CPU! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Premiere is coded, especially if you're working with long-GOP files which require tons of CPU/RAM cycles ... the amount of RAM you have supporting the CPU and the ability of the MOBO to allow CPU/RAM transit are crucial for Premiere performance. So yea ... massive amounts of RAM are useful 1) if the mobo can handle massive CPU/RAM transits and 2) the CPU itself is fast enough to be worth buying the RAM.

And part of the way things are is a legacy of decisions made in past years. Current Premiere management differs in marked ways in how they "see" the app needing to move forward from the previous management. As would be expected anywhere, I suppose. For example, the current situation of meta-driven media from cameras like RED, Arri, Sony & others was certainly not something that seemed likely just a few years back. That alone requires a completely different coding for many processes.

So they're having to keep a product out that is workable for a massive user base while planning out and executing updates to try and get parts rewritten as they want them to be.

But ... it's a massively complex app. Changing something "here" can easily break something in some process "there" that you won't find on only a couple hundred machines running it. Doesn't seem likely looking at the base code. But as soon as you push it out for clients, someone somewhere is going to get a broken process. So even the cleanup process is ... dense.

I just got to meet and talk some at Adobe MAX with the person brought in a few months back to run the reorganization and planning for stability and performance improvements. Good conversation. He's blunt about the challenges he's got, but quite happy to wade in and work away. And amazingly, for all the changes within the team he's already made, the engineers are all thrilled about having him doing this. Because ... they are all users of the app themselves. They do want an improved app. And the list of bug fixes is impressive, especially the ones that have been there for AGES.

Premiere works on the widest base of gear of any NLE out there. FCP of course only works within that tightly limited Apple 'ecosphere' ... very few pieces of gear even going back a decade to plan for. Avid limits what gear it will use. Resolve has it's own limits, and shall we say, preferences for BlackMagic gear over others because their model is to get you into their software so you buy their hardware.

So changes are coming. Some are already showing, such as the limits on certain types of gear like video cards that Premiere will utilize. The "system compatiblity" setup was created to tell the users when their kit ain't up to the needs of the current version. I'm sure there'll be other changes.

And yea ... they make it clear that there's some changes coming at some point in GPU use also. But what those are, and when they may come, ain't got no clue. As that's all private info not shared outside the staff. We'll see it when we see it.

Sooner, of course, is nearly always better from our user perspective ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for the wise comments, now I see things better, I understand but don't wanna think about such huge projects like operating systems or NLE or DAWs and giant code base behind them, which are shared between teams to handle, I've worked with Microsoft for some beta programs and I remember for the simple bugs that I found 4 teams from 4 countries worked around 6~8 months to get a final fix! And yes, I didn't think about the wast hardware support of Premiere, I think I extend my subscription and stay with it, but I just need to learn so much, things are different than Edius here, and even nothing is like Premiere 6/6.5 that I was using when I was young!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU acceleration is for special effects like motion blur, PIP and color correction. Hardware encoding and decoding is for playback and rendering of H.264. Your  i7 does have Intel's Quick Sync. The video below demonstrates how to select the GPU or the IGPU. I say give them both a whirl :  )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-erwmRxAU&feature=emb_logo

This video demonstrates how to enable GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding. It also shows how to enable Intel's Quick Sync. Resolve https://amzn.to/3NcL1zP Adobe CC 1 year https://amzn.to/3Da0qMN All links are monetized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andy, thanks for your advise, I've no idea on PC (and not laptop) when I have a dedicated GTX1080 VGA, still those CPU features are available or not, since I know unlike the laptops, the CPU integrated graphics is disabled when a dedicated VGA is inserted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The laptops bios should allow you to enable the IGPU. For some Quick Sync (IGPU) might be the better option. I have heard the newer 10 nm chips will get a new IGPU and a revamp for Quick Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dude, you misunderstood, I've no laptop, but a PC, do you know if CPU's integrated graphics will work on PCs for that purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will have to enable the IGPU in the bios. Every bios is different so I cannot give you any guidence. That being said you should be able to find it and enable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines